IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Where do you guys get your cars serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-15, 04:46 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you guys get your cars serviced?

So I have a 20k service coming up, I was going to go the the dealer, but my brother told me he goes to an independent shop that specializes in Lexus repairs. We both have the 14 IS350s, but I'm a little on the fence about it, because my car isn't that old but I always feel ripped whenever I go to the dealer. Thoughts?
Old 07-15-15, 05:25 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I'm going back to the dealership after the 10k mile free service. Planning to go at a Lexus certified shop.
Old 07-15-15, 05:30 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer or Stealership as its called. I'd rather take it to a trusted mechanic.
Old 07-15-15, 05:32 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
So I have a 20k service coming up, I was going to go the the dealer, but my brother told me he goes to an independent shop that specializes in Lexus repairs. We both have the 14 IS350s, but I'm a little on the fence about it, because my car isn't that old but I always feel ripped whenever I go to the dealer. Thoughts?
I've always felt the same as you. I took my last car (Infiniti) to the dealer for every service through the warranty. I decided to take this car to a Lexus indy shop for my 15,000. I mainly wanted the paperwork showing that I had the service in case there were any warranty issues in the future. The owners are master mechanics that used to work at the Lexus dealership here. I gave them a shot. They did the inspection(s) and when I went to pay, they told me that I didn't owe them anything because they didn't do anything (just inspections). Who does that? I'm sold. It's a longer drive, but hell, I don't feel ripped off. I'd try the indy shop and if you don't like them you can always go to the dealer next time.
Old 07-15-15, 05:49 PM
roadwarrio
Rookie

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I've always felt the same as you. I took my last car (Infiniti) to the dealer for every service through the warranty. I decided to take this car to a Lexus indy shop for my 15,000. I mainly wanted the paperwork showing that I had the service in case there were any warranty issues in the future. The owners are master mechanics that used to work at the Lexus dealership here. I gave them a shot. They did the inspection(s) and when I went to pay, they told me that I didn't owe them anything because they didn't do anything (just inspections). Who does that? I'm sold. It's a longer drive, but hell, I don't feel ripped off. I'd try the indy shop and if you don't like them you can always go to the dealer next time.
Fantastic story! All I have do now, is find a mechanic like that where I live.
Old 07-15-15, 05:57 PM
toeknee88
Driver School Candidate

I rather take it to a local reputable repair shop to do it instead. The dealer always over charges. If you want to take it to the dealer, take it to a toyota dealership instead of a lexus dealership. It will be a lot cheaper and they are usually knowledge.
Old 07-15-15, 06:32 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
A good independent shop that you can trust is like gold - just keep good records and all receipts.
Old 07-15-15, 08:39 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maintenance at the dealer is not bad if you ask for specific services like oil change or tire rotation instead of 15k or 20k service. Plus amenities and loaners are worth the premium for me.
Old 07-16-15, 03:46 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My dealer gives the 15k and 20k service with every car you purchase or lease. I have always had 2 years of maintenance so these services were never an issue with my IS. I have the same service plan with my new RC.
Old 07-16-15, 05:41 AM
waleedj3is
Driver

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
A good independent shop that you can trust is like gold - just keep good records and all receipts.
I agree. From my experience, It's best to get it done yourself from an independent shop. Also, the best part is you get to see how it's being done. So the chances of things going wrong with your car are minimal.
Old 07-16-15, 06:22 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

in an odd twist my dealer was actually $150 CHEAPER for 4 tires mounted and balanced and an alignment.
Old 07-21-15, 07:28 PM
Pralix
Rookie

A regular Toyota dealer is also an option. I just got my 15K service at the Toyota dealer where I have bought from in the past. It was free. I am leasing this car and I don't see the need to pay more than I have to for service. I wont pay for any services that aren't in the warranty manual. The Lexus dealer wanted about $95 for the 15K service.

It is also fun to cruise into the service check in area and watch the eyes of everyone following your car.
Old 07-22-15, 07:53 PM
Jacabc20
Driver School Candidate

Maybe Lexus IS behind on this then as most dealerships are the same price on your basic maintainence as everyone else and most offer free shuttle rides home, etc etc, and I'm talking ford, Chevy, etc. and they have deals all the time. They wisened up by me(tn) as they want to sell you your car and then let them maintain it for you. I'm going in for an oil change this weekend to see what it costs etc or at least my wife is Taking it since I have to work Saturday.
If they charge a ton I'll see about Toyota since its 1/4 of the drive for me and if they stink too then Ill go from there.
Old 07-23-15, 09:18 AM
SummerRain
Driver

I purchased 5 yr prepaid service for $1800. I gonna go back to the dealer as i need the loaner vehicle =P
Old 07-23-15, 03:11 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pralix
A regular Toyota dealer is also an option. I just got my 15K service at the Toyota dealer where I have bought from in the past. It was free. I am leasing this car and I don't see the need to pay more than I have to for service. I wont pay for any services that aren't in the warranty manual. The Lexus dealer wanted about $95 for the 15K service.

It is also fun to cruise into the service check in area and watch the eyes of everyone following your car.
Strongly considering taking mine into Toyota for the 20k service. Most important thing is the oil change which i heard toyota does on lexus without any issue

Quick Reply: Where do you guys get your cars serviced?