IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 10:09 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
1: TireRack will not accept the refund because the rotors were scratch during installation and found out they did not fit.
They have no right to hold you resposible for scratches to the paint on the rotors that was unavoidably caused by their's or their supplier's own negligence in sending a part that did not fit. That argument would not hold up in a court of law.
Old 06-24-15, 03:05 AM
Loe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo@TireRack.com
Sorry for all the difficulty and confusion regarding the order. I hope I can help to shed some light on the situation.

The car has the F Sport wheels and the F Sport body kit- there's no denying that. When you run the VIN, though, it does not pull back an F Sport vehicle. Also, the photos of the stock brakes from your vehicle are definitely non F-sport brakes. I'm not sure if you have a Canadian spec car (or if that would make a difference or not) but we can be certain that your vehicle does not have F-Sport brakes on it.

You are correct that the brakes you purchased come back in the search results on the website whether you search for the F-Sport or the non F-Sport, but the correct brakes for your vehicle do, too. In your screen shot of the rotors from the website, you can see below the manufacturers part number it says "Note: (Front Left) Drilled Rotor For Sedan With F Sport Package" The non-F IS unfortunately doesn't have a drilled or slotted rotor that we carry, so you have to look to the plain rotors, part# 120.44184 and 44185. The note on those rotors specifies that they exclude the F-Sport model, so those are the brakes you would need for your car.

I'm not sure how or why your vehicle ended up with the appearance upgrades and not the brakes, but that's what set this whole thing in motion. As a goodwill gesture, we are going to take the brakes back and credit you for them. Our customer service department is supposed to be in contact to arrange the return, so please let me know if that doesn't happen.

his brakes are F-sport model brakes, the calipers look like any other IS350 (F-sport or non-Sport). Unless you are talking about the dealer accessory "F-sport" brakes?
Old 06-24-15, 03:27 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Theo@TireRack.com
The car has the F Sport wheels and the F Sport body kit- there's no denying that. When you run the VIN, though, it does not pull back an F Sport vehicle.
I wonder if Theo is confused about Lexus vehicle nomenclature? Perhaps the vehicle he thinks he should see in the VIN inquiry is an IS-F rather than an IS 350 (and brakes ARE different between those vehicles). That would explain the disconnect here.

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...specs#features .
Old 06-24-15, 10:40 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Who cares what the VIN pulls up? People do brake-swaps and the parts wouldn't match the VIN. Are you going to be a dirtbag company and call foul?
Old 06-25-15, 01:51 PM
Theo@TireRack.com
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To all-

No part of my post was intended to convey that there is a "right" or a "wrong" in the situation. I was, and still am, attempting to present the facts in an objective manner.

The confusion isn't between the IS and IS-F. There actually is a difference between the brakes on the F-Sport and non F-Sport IS350s. They're very small changes, but it is enough that the two are not interchangeable. The measurements are as follows:

F-Sport: 333mm OD 50.88mm Height
Non F-Sport: 334mm OD 51mm Heigh

The bigger difference is the way the cooling vents are cast into the rotor. The F-Sport rotors actually have venting immediately below the hat to help with airflow, whereas the standard rotors do not. I have pictures included below.

This is likely a difference between US-spec and Canadian-spec vehicles. The US-spec F-sport AWD and RWD have the rotors with additional venting. According to Dave's post, when he looked at the Canadian brochure, it shows that the AWD vehicle has a different front rotor than the RWD vehicle. The photos of the rotors that were sent to us showed the product that would be on a non F-sport vehicle in the US, which would make sense if the Canadian-spec, AWD IS350 F-Sport has different brakes than the RWD version. The AWD version is probably equipped with the standard brakes in Canada for some reason.

F-sport:

Non F-Sport:

Old 06-26-15, 08:38 AM
aIRpeACE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think Theo and tirerack has done the right thing. mistakes do happen
Old 06-26-15, 10:50 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recall when the IS350 AWD came out, the rotor vents opening were moved from the front to the back to fit the AWD hub. AWD rotors also fit RWD models, but not the other way around. Centric part # should be 44184/44185 for AWD, and 44137/44138 for RWD. I don't think it's an Fsport/nonsport issue.
The following users liked this post:
CriMe (09-21-17)
Old 06-26-15, 11:50 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
i think Theo and tirerack has done the right thing. mistakes do happen
It's great that they finally took care of this issue after this, but it should have never come to this in the first place. I've ordered from Tire Rack in the past with no issues, but I certainly hope I do not run into issues like this if I ever have an issue with an order.
Old 06-27-15, 08:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

There's three sides to every story. It seems that Tire Rack came through after a few bumps in the road. Considering that they're a sponsor here and have helped support our forum, maybe we should have some faith in them for the future and reign in the trash talk. Not pointing fingers, just suggesting forgiveness in general. I think this is the ONLY incident reported, otherwise they have a great track record.
Old 06-28-15, 02:41 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noeh
I recall when the IS350 AWD came out, the rotor vents opening were moved from the front to the back to fit the AWD hub. AWD rotors also fit RWD models, but not the other way around. Centric part # should be 44184/44185 for AWD, and 44137/44138 for RWD. I don't think it's an Fsport/nonsport issue.
That seems to be the case.
AWD and RWD use different wheel bearing so the rotors do not fit.
However, I do not see there`s a possibility of a third side story.
My AWD uses 30040 and 30350 OE Lexus part number which is for both Canadian or US version IS350 AWD F-Sport or Non F Sport.
TireRack customer service has contacted me for the return from a different customer service rep.
Now I am waiting for the confirmation of the return will be accepted after they were being installed for test fit.
Thanks
CriMe (09-21-17)
Old 01-16-17, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I read this months ago and just reread it. And rather than start a few one, just for clarification, if I have a Canadian Spec 2014 IS 350 AWD F sport, that does not have vents on the rotor hats, what is the part number I need?

Non OEM/OEM replacement Centric.
Old 01-17-17, 07:17 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alius
I'm having the same issue as OP, got them from Rockauto though. So what's the exact part number that would fit the IS350 AWD on the fronts?
Guys, I just finished reading through this thread and now I am concerned. I bought new rotors from RockAuto as well but I have not installed them yet. I bought:

Front:
CENTRIC12844138L (128.44138L) Rotor $ 97.79
CENTRIC12844137R (128.44137R) Rotor $ 97.79

Rear:
CENTRIC 12844189L (128.44189L) Rotor $ 79.89
CENTRIC 12844189R (128.44189R) Rotor $ 79.89

I have a 2016 IS350 AWD F-sport. In addition to the RockAuto site, every site that I visited in my research indicated that these were the correct rotors for my vehicle. Now I'm seeing that these rotors will not fit? I have some concerns now as I don't want to begin the install if these will not fit.

Anyone successfully used this combination of parts in their AWD F-sport vehicle? Thanks guys
Old 01-17-17, 09:06 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

44138 and 44137 will not fit a IS350 F Sport AWD.
Those are what I got for my car.
The correct parts number for AWD F Sport IS350 is 128.44184L and 128.44185R
CriMe (01-18-17)
Old 01-18-17, 06:58 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by forum429
44138 and 44137 will not fit a IS350 F Sport AWD.
Those are what I got for my car.
The correct parts number for AWD F Sport IS350 is 128.44184L and 128.44185R
Thanks for the followup. This makes me furious that they have these parts listed as compatible even after selecting that you own the AWD version of the vehicle. I hate dealing with returns. At least you saved me the trouble of pulling my old rotors to find out that these do not fit, so thank you.
Old 09-24-17, 01:50 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Update - RockAuto said that I was too far outside the return window, so I was stuck with the rotors. Luckily, I managed to sell them locally to a CL member. I ordered the 128.44184L and 128.44185R from TireRack (shipped free same day and received next day - thanks guys!) and finally did the install today. Install was very straightforward and the fitment was perfect.

Just wanted to say thanks again to forum429 and everyone else who chimed in in this thread. It would have really sucked to take everything apart, only to find out that the 128.44138 and 128.44137 rotors that RockAuto recommended for my car were designed for RWD vehicles only and would not fit.

I am very pleased with the performance of the Stoptech rotors with the Akebono pads. Very smooth, quiet braking. No more embarrassing shrieking from the brakes after a cold start.

Thanks for all of the information guys.

Quick Reply: Buyers Beware From TireRack if Looking For Brake Rotors