IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How does the TPMS warning looks like? Is it annoying? What are your solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-15, 01:25 PM
LexusFirst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the TPMS warning looks like? Is it annoying? What are your solutions?

I have been searching information regarding the TPMS warning. It looks like the posts were mostly outdated or not specific for the 3IS.

I will purchase another set of wheels and tire. I am thinking about not to get TPMS sensors or get an aftermarket one. I DON'T WANT TO DISABLE OR DO ANYTHING ON THE ELECTRONICS. My questions are the following.

1) What does the TPMS warming actually looks like?
Is it only the small orange light appear on the side of the speedometer or ther will be a big warning message appear in the middle below where you read the speed?
Will it keeps showing and block the speedometer?
Any photo will be appreciated.

2) If I go for aftermarket sensor, can it be programmed myself or only by the Lexus dealer only?
I read some member said their dealer took off the tires from the wheel just to read the code on the sensor and charge very expensive labor.

If it will cost more to purchase aftermarket wheel because of the sensor, I think the last option O have is to ask the dealer to buy the aftermarket wheel and tire with the sensor installed.

Any opinions or experience will be appreciated. Thank you
Old 05-17-15, 02:02 PM
IS3F
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a small light in the dash. Not entirely obtrusive or distracting. If I remember correctly it blinks in the beginning and then stays on.

I ended up getting sensors in the end for my winter wheels BUT am thoroughly disappointed that it needs to be programmed directly with Lexus. My tire shop couldn't do it and neither could the Toyota dealer near my home. Specifically Lexus. I don't understand it and based on my research, the 2G had an option to pair a second set of sensors but the 3G doesn't do this. It's about $100 to reprogram the sensors reach rotation so $200/year. I've got a deal for $100/year but still totally unnecessary.
Old 05-17-15, 02:05 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Get the ATEQ tpms tool. Cost me $149 on ebay. works like a champ and I have stockies for winter and Vossens for summer and no tpms light.
Old 05-17-15, 02:22 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't have experience with the 3rd Gen IS but the warning light is very annoying on my my 2nd Gen IS. The day will have both the small tire pressure symbol and a warning message " CHECK SYSTEM" in RED which display permanently on the center of the dash (will momentary goes away as the display was changed for other info on the dash.
Here are some quick tests to see if you could live with the warning light. Temporary Over inflate your tires by 25% and the message will pop up. But I think you will only get a pressure warning message so you could put the spare tire onto one of the will and the message will pop up in about 20 miles of driving. I believe the donut doesn't have TPMS so your dash will display both warning and check system message.
This is from my 2nd Gen IS.

Old 05-17-15, 08:43 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

I actually swapped to my new set of summers and I have not even seen the TPMS light come on.

The only change is when I look at tire pressure on the dash, it shows _ instead of what the tire pressure is.

I have a Canadian IS350 if that helps.
Old 05-17-15, 09:45 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

If you have the F-Sport you get individual tire pressure readings. It's actually been useful as I'm better at refilling when the tire pressure is low.
Old 05-18-15, 05:03 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by nonopeno
I actually swapped to my new set of summers and I have not even seen the TPMS light come on.

The only change is when I look at tire pressure on the dash, it shows _ instead of what the tire pressure is.

I have a Canadian IS350 if that helps.
That's great.

So no monopolizing of any of the display with an error where you have to hit the back button every 5 seconds, like with a low refueling warning?

Can you post a pic? Thanks!
Old 05-18-15, 07:50 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
That's great.

So no monopolizing of any of the display with an error where you have to hit the back button every 5 seconds, like with a low refueling warning?

Can you post a pic? Thanks!
Hey Corrado - sure, I will snap a pic later today if I am heading out.

I was quite surprised at the lack of alerts from no TPMS.
Old 05-18-15, 08:21 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

is there an issue with moving your stock sensors to the new wheel and tire set?
Old 05-18-15, 06:27 PM
nonopeno
Rookie

Here's a picture of my dash, no lights (other than my seat belt light - just started my car).

no TPMS
Old 05-18-15, 06:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by nonopeno
Here's a picture of my dash, no lights (other than my seat belt light - just started my car).

no TPMS
Awesome! It's too bad I already ordered my new wheels/tires mounted with TPMS - I could have saved $300. I thought that for sure it would have been like the 2IS or like every other in-your-face warning Lexus puts on the dash like low fuel, TRAC off, etc.

Thanks for the pic.
Old 05-18-15, 07:05 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

nonopeno, do you store your tires next to your IS?

Below is what TPMS light will look like when the sensors are not detected on the F-Sport gauges. I switched back to summer tires a month or so back. If you store the tires with the registered sensors near the car, the TPMS sensor will reset. It's not until driving a certain distance that the light will turn on. My 45 min, 50 km (to and back) commute from work was not long or far enough to trigger the light during the commute. A 20 min drive on the freeway is far enough to trigger the light though. Now that I've had time to clean and store the tires away from the garage, the light is always on. When you start the car, the TPMS light will flash for about 30 seconds and then stay solid. Traction control cannot be switched off when the TPMS light is on.

Personally, the light does not bother me. Although the my summer set does have the factory TPMS sensors, I just didn't want to pay the dealer $40 each season to re-program the sensors.

Last edited by computerwi; 05-18-15 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 07:23 PM
bclodfelte
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02 TPMS in all sets of tires. It's worth it when it comes to peace of mind and hey when it comes time and you wanna sell it is a great selling point.
Old 05-18-15, 10:27 PM
LexusFirst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those, who had purchase another set of TPMS sensors, do you need to take the tire off the wheel in order to get the code from the sensor for programming purpose? I heard it from another members, but not sure if this is true.
Old 05-19-15, 09:32 AM
nonopeno
Rookie

Computerwi: I do not store my tires next to my IS. You are right however, I have not taken long trips with the car yet.. (thinking at most 50km one way?) so the light in your picture might get triggered for me at some point.

I swapped about a month ago and have still not seen the light.

[QUOTE=computerwi;9044562]nonopeno, do you store your tires next to your IS?

Below is what TPMS light will look like when the sensors are not detected on the F-Sport gauges. I switched back to summer tires a month or so back. If you store the tires with the registered sensors near the car, the TPMS sensor will reset. It's not until driving a certain distance that the light will turn on. My 45 min, 50 km (to and back) commute from work was not long or far enough to trigger the light during the commute. A 20 min drive on the freeway is far enough to trigger the light though. Now that I've had time to clean and store the tires away from the garage, the light is always on. When you start the car, the TPMS light will flash for about 30 seconds and then stay solid. Traction control cannot be switched off when the TPMS light is on.

Personally, the light does not bother me. Although the my summer set does have the factory TPMS sensors, I just didn't want to pay the dealer $40 each season to re-program the sensors.