IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

what brand of gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-15, 08:12 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default what brand of gas do you use?

Im sure i can start a nice little debate here haha. My question is what brand of gas do you guys use? From my research online all gas is pretty much the same, its just the additives that each company uses that set it apart. In my 350 I have bounced around between Exxon,BP and Shell all premium of course. As of recent months i had been exclusively on Shell but on my last fillup let the gas go down and put in Exxon. Reason being it was just cheaper, 20 cents cheaper than my Shell station. Gas is going back up and just trying to save a few dollars, it adds up in the end as they are both good brands! just wanted to hear what you guys think? is Shell really worth all the hype? i didn't notice any huge difference on shell, and exxon seems to be fine! hoping to get some good feedback here, thanks!
Old 03-06-15, 09:21 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only been using Shell for my 3IS
Old 03-06-15, 09:55 PM
itisme1760
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only Shell for me. I think the additives make a big difference in how clean it burns in your engine.
Old 03-06-15, 11:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Petro Canada Ultra 94 or Shell V-Power 91
Old 03-07-15, 12:17 AM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Costco because it's the cheapest decent quality ga. If the lines are too busy I go to shell and maybe chevron. I try to avoid the cheap gas stations as much as possible. All gases have some additives but I think Shell is best in that department.

I usually add a fuel injector cleaner once or twice a year to my previous cars. I used guaranteed to pass of the car is really old.
Old 03-07-15, 07:35 AM
JCWong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carsRimper has nailed it, ethanol is the key part to this. I use Husky 94 on all my other turbo cars (but only tuned on 91) and Shell 91 on my 3IS and other NA cars, just personal preference and I feel it combusts better. No offense Glock47 but other smaller companies like Costco and "cheap gas stations" just buys gas from other suppliers so it could be a mixture of Shell and other brands so you may get a good batch one time but not so much on another. I can tell the difference from good and bad gas from the car's performance output and smell, hence I usually stick with Shell V power even over other bigger brands like Esso or Petro Canada or Husky for the most part (even just comparing between 91 Octane). Just my 2 cents...
Old 03-07-15, 11:08 AM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Shell only for me!
Old 03-07-15, 12:50 PM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Costco exclusively. Rarely hit anywhere else.
Old 03-07-15, 01:26 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I've been using Chevron for years. I even have their credit card that lets you get their "cash" price per gallon while still obtaining credit card rewards such as an extra 10 cents off or whatever per gallon. Plus, they offer an extra discount at the pump if you shop at Vons

Yeah, extreme couponing at the pump lol >___<
Old 03-07-15, 03:33 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Shell or costco, they are both top tier gas
Old 03-07-15, 08:02 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"My gas isn't better for your car; it's just more expensive."

OIL COMPANIES spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition's. Chevron's gas, for example, is fortified with "Techron," and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don't tell you is that all gas does so. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; in Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples last year to ensure the state's gas supply was up to snuff, and 99 percent of the time it was. "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck.

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 03-07-15 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 10:26 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From my research, Costco gas is from whoever sells it the cheapest. They are not contractually obligated to purchase from any one supplier. This means you can get better Shell gas one day, and Arco gas the next week.
Old 03-07-15, 11:35 PM
KS13
Driver

Strictly Shell 93 VPOWER. It gets to the point where I'm driving on fumes, but I won't fill up until I find a Shell station.
Old 03-08-15, 04:03 PM
onthelimit
Driver School Candidate

Shell V-Power exclusively
Old 03-08-15, 06:13 PM
r0shiro
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally feel that its mostly hype. the difference is in engineering not brands. without a doubt there is a difference between E85 - 87 - 89 - 91 - 100...yada yada grades because? science. lol. i dont believe there is a difference between not V-something vs Tech-something vs icostless-something...performance wise. the regulations are insane enough to make sure that not only is gasoline safe for any engine but that it also cleans to a certain standard. this is big oil. they care about one thing...YOUR MONEY! they want your dollars at their corner vs their competitors'. they could care less about your feelings or the added performance to your car. actually ill slightly take that back...they dont want your engine to malfunction. thats it. two reasons...repeat business and no lawsuits...lol.

proof? ive lived it...1990 toyota truck handed down to me by my father who swore up and down that shell was the best and god bless the man he put nothing but shell 91 in it till he handed it over to me at 91,000miles. that changed as soon as he gave the keys to a young college student responsible for his own gas and bills. nothing but arco from then on. sold it at 237,000 miles with no engine problems..(i miss that truck)

brand new 2003 toyota corolla. advice from dad? 91 octane from shell...only way to go. other than a handful of other brands throughout its NINE year run with me...i would say 99% of the gas in that car was 87 octane from Arco. sold it at 277,000 miles with no engine problems.

cost savings? not much from one street corner to the other....when you're pumping gas and look across the way and wonder how much can $.30/gallon savings make? depends...lets take the corolla as an example. i treated EVERY red light like a drag strip so i averaged 30mpg. lets say i filled up 9230 gallons in its lifetime...that's only $2770.33 difference between an Arco and any other brand at $.30/gallon higher. only a $307/year savings...its really not that much. well...i got my license at 17...i plan to drive till at least mid 60's so lets say 50 years of driving? That's $15390 more in gas i would spend because it cleaned better, it got better MPG, and it gave me more horse power. because of science/facts? no...because of my butt dyno. and that's a corolla. i get around half of that mpg in my IS right now...so 50 years would be an extra $30600 in gas.

now...i dont seek out arcos....i just frankly dont care. ill go to the nearest gas station when im low and if theres more than one on the corner than ill go to the one on my side of the road. there are more important fluidsto worry about...like engine oil. i know plenty that worry more about their gas brand but take their car to walmart for the $20 oil change... that's like going to a quack for a blood transfusion but refuse to drink anything other than fiji water. if arrowhead water was killing people or shortening lives...trust me...youd know it.

so dont buy the hype people...dont be that guy who stands in the toothpaste aisle for 20 mins trying to decide which one is going to the "best" cleaner....good luck with that...

Quick Reply: what brand of gas do you use?