IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need some help from the experts on a IS 350 3gen buy!

Old 02-16-15, 12:05 AM
Eric001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help from the experts on a IS 350 3gen buy!

Hi guys,

I'm a deployed Navy service member and will be buying a car when I return back to the US in 2 months (April). I have $30K to spend. I could stretch to maybe $35K. I really like what I'm seeing in the 2014 IS 350. I can get a pre-certified 2014 IS 350 with 20K mi, luxury package, in great condition with a 3 year/100K warranty for $35K. But I'm thinking that I should focus on finding one with the F Sport package for "fun to drive" factor.. I've been comparing the Lexus options against a BMW M3 E46 (2004-2006 range). I will be using it as a daily driver in SoCal.

What would you buy for the money?

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited by Eric001; 02-16-15 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 07:09 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would save for the Fsport. It a must have.
Old 02-16-15, 10:05 PM
Eric001
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Ethan!
Old 02-17-15, 06:44 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey there,

Tough call for you. I've had a 330i and been ready to pull the trigger on several e46 M3 cars. I have a lot of seat time in them. They are great drivers especially considering the age of the platform. The parts are relatively inexpensive too. You can get salvage engines and transmissions at decent prices compared to MB and Audi. If you go with the manual transmission you avoid the expense of having to eventually replace the SMG pump that will inevitably go. Or just save up for the planned repair. The e46 is a pretty old car though so you should be prepared to have to fix things more routinely. Their headliners fall down all the time too so check under the rear view mirrors and near the c pillars to see if it has started. You should have the money for it though compared to what you would pay for a 2014 IS350.

With the IS350 you will get dead reliability but it will not be as raw as the e46. It won't be as loud (although the e46 sounds like crap to most) or as likely to hang the tail out. It will be a better cruiser and if you put on a square tire setup can probably do close lap times of an E46 (remember, we are talking 10-15 years newer technology now.) Also consider the 3IS350 will be a 10K to 15K more expensive car. That has to factor in Im guessing. A last consideration is if you are into modding your car, the e46 had TONS and TONS more quality parts for modding everything from tuning, forced induction, chassis, brakes, and suspension.

With respect to the Fsport or non Fsport. You wont lose much in the "fun to drive" as the power and suspension components are largely identical. The only thing you will miss out on performance wise it the adjustability of the shocks. Otherwise the Fsport package is purely cosmetic so its up to you if you find it worth it. I personally think the Fsport front end looks silly but a lot of people may prefer it too. Totally subjective.

Good luck on the hunt. My last deployment I had bought two cars before I got home LOL.

Mike
Old 02-19-15, 11:48 PM
Eric001
Driver School Candidate

Hi Mike,

Awesome response, thank you! It's great to hear from someone with both Lexus and E46 experience.

The Lexus 3IS350 is about as refined (but also sporty) a car as I'm looking at in my price range. I'm also considering a Subaru WRX STI - the turbo 4cyl, AWD w/ adjustable diff is pretty sweet. Car research has been a great way to spend the down time during the latter part of my deployment. lol.

Cheers!
Eric
Old 02-20-15, 09:00 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eric001
Hi Mike,

Awesome response, thank you! It's great to hear from someone with both Lexus and E46 experience.

The Lexus 3IS350 is about as refined (but also sporty) a car as I'm looking at in my price range. I'm also considering a Subaru WRX STI - the turbo 4cyl, AWD w/ adjustable diff is pretty sweet. Car research has been a great way to spend the down time during the latter part of my deployment. lol.

Cheers!
Eric
2014 IS350 F Sport vs 2014 Subaru STI.

I did a test drive on both. The STI was just too stiff for me when I drove it city and freeway. My friend has one too and every time we have to drive somewhere, backseat passengers most of the time gets headaches and motion sick. That's what made me pass on an STI. Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning to get an STI (or an EVO) but that would have to wait for now.
Old 02-20-15, 10:30 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric001
Hi guys,

I'm a deployed Navy service member and will be buying a car when I return back to the US in 2 months (April). I have $30K to spend. I could stretch to maybe $35K. I really like what I'm seeing in the 2014 IS 350. I can get a pre-certified 2014 IS 350 with 20K mi, luxury package, in great condition with a 3 year/100K warranty for $35K. But I'm thinking that I should focus on finding one with the F Sport package for "fun to drive" factor.. I've been comparing the Lexus options against a BMW M3 E46 (2004-2006 range). I will be using it as a daily driver in SoCal.

What would you buy for the money?

Thanks!

Eric
If parking assist and memory seats are not important to you, go f-sport - you'll love it.

And, thank you for your service - from a Marine Corps retiree.

Bill G
Old 02-20-15, 02:56 PM
Loe
Pole Position

If you get the e46 M3, make sure to reinforce the rear subframe. Otherwise, mine was solid and actually surprising reliable if you ignore the strange habits of the car such as the VANOS cold-start bucking and the infamous "M-clunk" which refers to driveline components.

I've always wanted to go back to one and supercharge it, the S54 can take a good beating on stock internals.
Old 02-23-15, 02:20 AM
Eric001
Driver School Candidate

Gents,

Thanks for the input! The feedback on the Subaru riding experience is a good one. I like stiff suspension but I'll also be giving my 3 and 5 year old kids rides in the car so it's a consideration I'll need to factor in. We would definitely not be taking any long family road trips in it.

Bill, thanks for the kind words and thank you for your service! I'll check the f-sport out. I have no need for memory seats or the parking assist.

Loe, thanks for the tip on the rear subframe. It seems like the subframe, Vanos and SMG are the big issues with these E46s. I would skip the SMG for sure. Is there a kit people use to reinforce their subframe? I'll have to look into that if I go the M3 route.

I'll have to give all these cars a test drive. Good times ahead!!! Thanks again, guys!!

Eric
Old 02-23-15, 05:28 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

When I had my e36 race car I used the turner reinforcement kit. You can make your own cheaper probably but sometimes it pays to go the easy route.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-91...ement-kit.aspx

Mike