IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What is the life on the LED bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-15, 10:56 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What is the life on the LED bulbs?

So i was just curious as to if anyone can elaborate on what the life of our LED headlight bulbs are? Recently i installed my LED fogs from nigel and they look great! but the way i got them installed is that they turn on with the ignition and shut off with it. so, even during the day they are running with my LED DRL's unless i shut them off with the steering wheel stalk.. Lately I've decided to shut the switch off during the day even though i love the look of the DRL and fogs running together because i don't want to burn out the fogs prematurely.

So my question is, if the lights do burn out headlights/DRL how do we replace them? I'm assuming we would have to go to lexus?

Also, for my LED fogs if they ever do burn out do you think the bulb is something i can get from the dealer since non fsports have LED fogs now?
Thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-04-15, 11:26 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
So i was just curious as to if anyone can elaborate on what the life of our LED headlight bulbs are? Recently i installed my LED fogs from nigel and they look great! but the way i got them installed is that they turn on with the ignition and shut off with it. so, even during the day they are running with my LED DRL's unless i shut them off with the steering wheel stalk.. Lately I've decided to shut the switch off during the day even though i love the look of the DRL and fogs running together because i don't want to burn out the fogs prematurely.

So my question is, if the lights do burn out headlights/DRL how do we replace them? I'm assuming we would have to go to lexus?

Also, for my LED fogs if they ever do burn out do you think the bulb is something i can get from the dealer since non fsports have LED fogs now?
LED headlights should last more than 5000 hours easily, or 8 years.
Old 02-06-15, 09:36 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Great thanks! Im guessing to get new bulbs i would have to go through the dealer?
Old 02-06-15, 09:48 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87

If you have LED headlights on your car, keep in mind that you have 20+ LEDs inside that projector. Over time, they will begin to die (please keep in mind that LEDs do not burn out, they short), and you will notice that your headlights are getting dimmer and dimmer. You will never know when 1 LED goes out individually. Then eventually, I believe you'll have to replace the entire headlight to fix that.

Now, most LEDs are good for 10,000+ hours, especially OEM ones. Heck, I've seen cadillacs from the early 2000s with LED tail ligths all working strong.

Your DRL light is different. When one goes, you will see it, and your only way to fix that is going to be to replace the entire strip. Just the risk of using LEDs.

Now, your aftermarket foglights, their life is going to be dependent upon the person who made them. If they are cheap chinese LEDs, expect them to last you a year if you're lucky. Always try to buy from people buy offer lifetime warranties. That way you dont' have to worry about it.

All in All, don't shut off your LEDs because you're afraid they are going to die. its going to happen someday, so why not just enjoy the car? Keep in mind too, they could short when off too, so enjoy them!
Old 02-06-15, 10:41 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
If you have LED headlights on your car, keep in mind that you have 20+ LEDs inside that projector. Over time, they will begin to die (please keep in mind that LEDs do not burn out, they short), and you will notice that your headlights are getting dimmer and dimmer. You will never know when 1 LED goes out individually. Then eventually, I believe you'll have to replace the entire headlight to fix that.
Actually we are in the 4th generation of Koito LED headlights for Lexus/Toyota and the current generation relies upon a single LED emitter for each side and each projector of the headlight.

http://monoist.atmarkit.co.jp/mn/spv...4/news035.html

And to the OP, they are estimated to last in the neighborhood of 35,000 to 50,000 hours.

Mike
Old 02-06-15, 03:10 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thanks swacer and bhvrdr definitely eased my mind a bit. And lol Swacer you're right, might as well enjoy it, i spent the money for them just to keep them off? Stupid of me lol. Plus im confident in the led fogs as they are a oem toyota part from japan. Japanese fsports get fogs and we don't, talk about ****ty packaging. But now I have an idea on the life of them so thanks guys!