IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

NuLuxe discoloring/absorption issue?

Old 01-12-15, 01:17 PM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NuLuxe discoloring/absorption issue?

Hi Guys - my 2015 is the white/red nuluxe combo. Recently I noticed my driver seat looking a little dingy. It appears to be my Levi jeans (black/blue) rubbing off/absorbing into the red nuluxe! My previous IS had light grey leather seats (even lighter than the red nuluxe) and this was never an issue. I'm certain it is not my jeans as they do no rub off or discolor anything else. So my question is: has anyone else noticed discoloring of their seats w/ the nuluxe material?! I'm contemplating taking the car to the dealership but i'm sure they're going to blame it on me and my jeans, unless it's something others are having issues w/ as well.
Old 01-12-15, 02:21 PM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. my jeans tend to rub on the same spot on my seat and eat away at the neluxe.
Old 01-13-15, 06:49 AM
jebryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is just shy of two months old (also with the rioja interior) and I've already noticed this happening. If its happening already, I can't imagine what it's going to look like after a year or two!

Is there anything we can do about this?!
Old 01-13-15, 08:03 AM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dye transfer has nothing to do with Nuluxe. Seat bolsters are the first to wear out because their shape, postiion in the car, your entry/exit habits and weight beat the tar out of them compared to the rest of the seat. Your jeans rub against that fabric and that increases the dye transfer.

I use Lexol leather cleaner (bring orange bottle) to remove the dye. I clean the seats every 2 months -- this cleaner is safe for leather, so definitely gentle enough for Nuluxe. I have the lightest interior option (light grey), I wear jeans all the time, and the seats look new. The trick will be to not let the dye build up -- clean often.
Old 01-13-15, 08:13 AM
spiridons
Driver School Candidate

When i purchased my Lexus, the Dealer gave a set of 4 bottles to detail the car. (one shampoo, one interior cleaner, one seat protector another one for seat cleaner). They are 4 black bottles and have Lexus printed on them. Is is what they recommend using on their nuluxe seats to protect them and clean them.
Old 01-13-15, 09:49 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful when you buy your pants/shorts make sure there are no metal stuff on specially jeans pockets buttons... if you wear such harsh pants/shorts.jeans just get a seat cover, I got this one from lexus of north miami and it's easy to put and remove plus it has a lexus logo here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-IS250-350-2006-2014-BLACK-SEAT-TOWEL-COVER-/251639714291?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a96e551f3
Old 01-13-15, 09:56 AM
tC2IS350
Driver

Agree that it just sounds like you need to clean the seats to remove the dye that has transferred. I'm in some sort of dress pants or skirts/dresses 90% of the time i'm in my car and my seats are showing zero wear. So it seems to have to do with the jeans and the dye in the denim specifically.
Old 01-13-15, 10:45 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Hmm...while I hear what you guys are saying I've never had this problem before and like I stated previously my last Lexus had even lighter seats and never discolored. So why now would a darker color start to show? It makes me think the nuluxe material they use is not the best quality or was not sealed properly.

hades281 - what do you use to apply the cleaner? A simple auto rag or some sort of sponge?
Old 01-13-15, 10:50 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nixx621
Hmm...while I hear what you guys are saying I've never had this problem before and like I stated previously my last Lexus had even lighter seats and never discolored. So why now would a darker color start to show? It makes me think the nuluxe material they use is not the best quality or was not sealed properly.

hades281 - what do you use to apply the cleaner? A simple auto rag or some sort of sponge?
Did your previous car have nuluxe..i'm sorry...vinyl seats? If not, your comparison is invalid.
Old 01-13-15, 10:52 AM
kinglexus99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Swacer
Did your previous car have nuluxe..i'm sorry...vinyl seats? If not, your comparison is invalid.
My last car was a 2008 IS350 w/ the light grey LEATHER interior. So no my argument is not invalid because I'm trying to confirm if the problem is an issue w/ the Nuluxe seats or not. Which at this point, seems to be the case.
Old 01-13-15, 11:37 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My last car was a 2008 IS350 w/ the light grey LEATHER interior. So no my argument is not invalid because I'm trying to confirm if the problem is an issue w/ the Nuluxe seats or not. Which at this point, seems to be the case.
You've raised a good point. Perhaps it's the Nuluxe that is of less quality compared to leather. For the record, I also owned an '06 IS250 with black LEATHER. Glad I didn't get the Rioja Red because I'd be a slave cleaning them seats with Lexol
Old 01-13-15, 11:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the nuluxe is more coarse than real leather which more slippery. So being more coarse it would rub your pants more and transfer the dye
Old 01-13-15, 11:48 AM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the nuluxe is more coarse than real leather which more slippery. So being more coarse it would rub your pants more and transfer the dye
+1 Agree 100%
Old 01-13-15, 12:52 PM
arsenyc
Driver School Candidate

Definitely rubs your pants more, harder material and is man-made so it sucks.
Old 01-13-15, 01:43 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well unless you wore the exact same jeans in both cars its hard to know if its the seat or the jeans. Are the jeans new?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NuLuxe discoloring/absorption issue?