IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad MPG resolved IS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 01:05 PM
aha2988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants to complain about gas mileage you can borrow my 4runner anytime you'd like..
Bad MPG resolved IS350 AWD-1000042_10201313942513654_1873886084_n.jpg

loving the heck out of some 23+mpg's
Old 12-20-14, 12:25 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by byro
I've had my 3IS 350 AWD for about a month now and the fuel economy has been rather poor to say the least. I always get enjoyment trying to squeeze out ridiculous fuel economy figures in my old cars, but it hasn't been an easy task so far with the new car. My father drives a 2010 RX350 and I can usually manage 11L/100KM (21.4 MPG) per tank without much trouble.

My daily commute right now consists of 90% hwy and 10% city, but I average about 11.5L/100KM (20.5 MPG) per tank. I've had one road trip where one entire tank was driven on the highway, but I could only squeeze out 9.0L/100KM (26.1 MPG). Essentially, I'm nowhere near the 7.7L/100KM (30.5 MPG) that's advertised on the Canadian site. Mind you, all of this was driven in eco mode, where I try to make sure that green "eco" indicator remains on even when I need to accelerate/maintain speed.

I can somewhat live with the 20.5 MPG because the car is so beautiful and smooth, but it's disappointing knowing that if I try to drive even slightly more aggressively or use the Sport+ mode, I'll be driving that figure even further south.
FWIW, your experience is bang on for highway and even better than rated according to the 2015 Natural Resources Canada rating for the 2015 model year (when the testing methodology was revised). See the 2014 vs 2015 ratings below:

2015: City 12.6 L/100km, Hwy 9.1 L/100km
2014: City 11.0 L/100km, Hwy 7.7 L/100km
Old 12-22-14, 12:45 PM
byro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by computerwi
FWIW, your experience is bang on for highway and even better than rated according to the 2015 Natural Resources Canada rating for the 2015 model year (when the testing methodology was revised). See the 2014 vs 2015 ratings below:

2015: City 12.6 L/100km, Hwy 9.1 L/100km
2014: City 11.0 L/100km, Hwy 7.7 L/100km
Thanks for the insight! At least now I don't think I have a bad apple from the bunch.

It's a little crazy how automakers can inflate figures so much, as Lexus Canada is still promoting City 11.0 L/100km, Hwy 7.7 L/100km, which is over 15% off from actual for Hwy figures. Maybe their testing is performed during downhill conditions.
Old 07-30-16, 09:28 PM
liudizzle
Driver School Candidate

Glad to know I'm not alone - just got a brand new 2016 IS350 F-sport and on my first couple of tanks I'm only getting 19-20 mpg, about 60% city/40% highway, with occasional bursts of speed in open space. I was really hoping to get somewhere in between the 19/28 advertised range. Maybe it'll get better as the engine gets broken in? If not, I'm gonna start feeling some serious pain at the pump!
Old 07-31-16, 11:16 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by liudizzle
Glad to know I'm not alone - just got a brand new 2016 IS350 F-sport and on my first couple of tanks I'm only getting 19-20 mpg, about 60% city/40% highway, with occasional bursts of speed in open space. I was really hoping to get somewhere in between the 19/28 advertised range. Maybe it'll get better as the engine gets broken in? If not, I'm gonna start feeling some serious pain at the pump!
Once you hit around 3K on the ODO, you will see an improvement in fuel economy with good driving behaviors, of course.

I manage to get 24 MPG combined when I was around 3K on the ODO. Right now, I am at 5K ODO and manage to achieve 26MPG combined on my current tank of gas.

However, this is all done through ECO MODE, not revving like crazy, and 90% HWY commutes.

**According to the cars computer, ONE full tank of gas gets me roughly 370 Miles.

Last edited by nathantse; 07-31-16 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 12:10 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

believe it or not, the f sport exhaust helps improve mileage.. yeah i know, wtf right? i've run exhausts on all my cars and obviously you see a 1-2 mpg dip. i was running about 22-24 suburbs/city/highway driving on my RWD. since putting on the f sport exhaust and running with it for about 8-10k miles now, my mileage got better. hitting on average between 24-26 mpgs all around driving, as high as 28 mpgs when i drove around the DMV beltway (highway) for a good 50 miles. i was quite surprised!
Old 08-01-16, 12:39 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been almost 2yrs later/+20K since my first post (forgot about it) and I still get about 25 mpg. Mind you this is based on:

1) Tractional control is off (my Lexus service advisor recommended this since the car is AWD anyways)
2) Driven mostly in Eco mode (really wish NYC was less congested)
3) 90% highway driving

I'm sure every drivers' results will be different based on their respective driving habits, but the above is what worked for me.

Last edited by theoryguy; 08-01-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-01-16, 04:52 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow thats great to know! Can't believe traction control plays a huge role in MPG
Old 08-01-16, 05:57 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
Wow thats great to know! Can't believe traction control plays a huge role in MPG
Of course you can't believe it, because it's not so. Obviously. The ONLY time that comes-on with ANY significant regularity, is in snow driving.

Old 08-01-16, 07:04 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dizlex
Of course you can't believe it, because it's not so. Obviously. The ONLY time that comes-on with ANY significant regularity, is in snow driving.

Yeah you're wrong mainly because your perception of what an irregularity is an extreme which is very different from that TCS system's view to the point of being invasive (there are threads within the CL on this subject as well - cockroach theory perhaps?) . I had almost 2 years to test this out, I'm enjoying better MPG, and my Lexus service advisors recommended doing it. Mind you, this might not be something you may want to do if you have RWD as opposed to AWD if you're the cautious type. Additionally, each person has a unique driving style and/or environment that impacts their respective results.

Last edited by theoryguy; 08-02-16 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 07:48 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Well I hope the mpg gets better, I've had my IS350 F-Sport AWD for a couple weeks now and only got 17 mpg for the tank and that was in Eco mode the entire time and babying it. How is it possible it gets the same mpg as my heavy *** v8 GX? I hope it changes as I get more miles on the car but I am going to try the traction control thing just to see even though it really doesn't make any sense.
Old 08-08-16, 09:52 AM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
Traction control off on an AWD car did not make a difference. It just happens to be that he had it off. Correlation does not equal causation. He was driving for a year in Eco mode and trying to see if he was saving on fuel economy. You will unconsciously (and perhaps consciously) drive more economically when doing a mpg experiment. Heck, the first picture (the before picture) he posted shows the car in sport plus mode when he was getting 19mpg. The second picture (the after picture) shows the car in Eco mode. That is telling.

If you drive more conservatively you will get better fuel economy and if you drive in eco mode and drive conservatively you will get even better fuel economy.

ESP/Traction control CUTS throttle (ie, FUEL) when slip is detected. Assuming you are driving aggressively enough to cause slippage in an AWD car, the ESP program is going to apply BRAKE and CUT FUEL so technically you should get better fuel economy with ESP enabled assuming you were driving crazy enough to be causing slip in an AWD car (thus you would already likely be in the single digits on fuel economy anyways).

Mike
Old 08-08-16, 03:48 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy
Yeah you're wrong mainly because your perception of what an irregularity is an extreme which is very different from that TCS system's view to the point of being invasive (there are threads within the CL on this subject as well - cockroach theory perhaps?) . I had almost 2 years to test this out, I'm enjoying better MPG, and my Lexus service advisors recommended doing it. Mind you, this might not be something you may want to do if you have RWD as opposed to AWD if you're the cautious type. Additionally, each person has a unique driving style and/or environment that impacts their respective results.
Sorry, but no way. I have a IS350 RWD, and the "invasive" traction control comes-on for an instant maybe once a week, and only during aggressive throttle usage from a stop. There is simply no way that mileage would increase if it was turned off.
Old 08-08-16, 07:42 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dizlex
Sorry, but no way. I have a IS350 RWD, and the "invasive" traction control comes-on for an instant maybe once a week, and only during aggressive throttle usage from a stop. There is simply no way that mileage would increase if it was turned off.
Again, I had 2 years to test this and you have not, so sorry, but yes way.
Old 08-08-16, 07:47 PM
theoryguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Traction control off on an AWD car did not make a difference. It just happens to be that he had it off. Correlation does not equal causation. He was driving for a year in Eco mode and trying to see if he was saving on fuel economy. You will unconsciously (and perhaps consciously) drive more economically when doing a mpg experiment. Heck, the first picture (the before picture) he posted shows the car in sport plus mode when he was getting 19mpg. The second picture (the after picture) shows the car in Eco mode. That is telling.

If you drive more conservatively you will get better fuel economy and if you drive in eco mode and drive conservatively you will get even better fuel economy.

ESP/Traction control CUTS throttle (ie, FUEL) when slip is detected. Assuming you are driving aggressively enough to cause slippage in an AWD car, the ESP program is going to apply BRAKE and CUT FUEL so technically you should get better fuel economy with ESP enabled assuming you were driving crazy enough to be causing slip in an AWD car (thus you would already likely be in the single digits on fuel economy anyways).

Mike
Your results are based on your driving style, so yes that plays a role, but I drive in NYC, not Nebraska, and we are not known to be grannies at the wheel.

Quick Reply: Bad MPG resolved IS350 AWD