IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Someone backed into my car... :( [With Photo]

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 10:38 AM
jarabanos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Someone backed into my car... :( [With Photo]

Well I do everything I can to keep my car pristine, but no matter what you do, you can't stop other people from messing up your stuff.

I was at work when I got a call from the parking attendant of the lot I park in that there was "a problem with my car." When I got downstairs this I nearly cried...

Someone was backing up and went straight back into my precious baby. Fortunately the parking attendant was on site and he witnessed everything. Many accidents in LA are hit and run so glad I did not have to deal with that nightmare.

I'm currently working through the claims process with Progressive. This is the first time I have had to do anything like this so naturally I have a few questions:

1. I'm going to be getting estimates this weekend. Based on the photo as well as a few details of damage that you cant really see (medium size dent right underneath the side mirror as well as a small dent and scratch on the front part of the rear left passenger door) any idea how much this will cost to fix? I know this will not be paid by me but I'm just curious.

2. This is a leased vehicle. I called LFS to report the damage since it says to do so in the lease contract. What I want to know is, since the residual value is set at the start of the lease, and now with an "accident" on file which diminishes the value of the vehicle (if I'm not mistaken), could this work out in my favor if I decide the buy the lease out at the end of the term?

Any other things I should keep in mind during this process of getting my car fixed? Thanks guys!

Last edited by jarabanos; 11-21-14 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 10:52 AM
Timmah
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wont work in you favor as the value of your car at the end of the lease can be less than the Residual value so if you do buy the car at the end you will be paying more. Flip side this is an advantage to you since you lease that LFS is going to take the hit on the diminish value of the car at the end of your lease as you can walk away and not worry about it.

Did the paint break from the impact?
Old 11-21-14, 11:10 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the parking attendant witnessed everything, that means he has the persons information right?
Old 11-21-14, 12:07 PM
tC2IS350
Driver

If you haven't moved your car yet, I would definitely call and file a police report. If there are any issues with dealing with the insurance company, having a police report in your favor (stating your car was parked when this happened, etc) is very helpful. A guy totalled my old car last month and wouldn't accept fault even though I had been stopped at a red light, then moved straight through an intersection after my light was green, and her turned left into my drivers side. You would think that would be very straightforward to determine who was at fault, but because he lied, we had to wait for the police report to come out and it took several weeks. Then it was finally decided that he was 100% liable and I got my collision deductible and out of pocket expenses reimbursed by his insurance.
Old 11-21-14, 12:53 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by Timmah
It wont work in you favor as the value of your car at the end of the lease can be less than the Residual value so if you do buy the car at the end you will be paying more. Flip side this is an advantage to you since you lease that LFS is going to take the hit on the diminish value of the car at the end of your lease as you can walk away and not worry about it.

Did the paint break from the impact?
Yea the paint broke in certain areas.
Old 11-21-14, 12:55 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
If the parking attendant witnessed everything, that means he has the persons information right?
The person that hit my car stayed there until I came downstairs and we could exchange information so fortunately I have what I need. They are paying for the damages in cash but I have their insurance info as backup just in case anything falls though. So far the experience has been pleasant and they seem very cooperative.
Old 11-21-14, 12:59 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by tC2IS350
If you haven't moved your car yet, I would definitely call and file a police report. If there are any issues with dealing with the insurance company, having a police report in your favor (stating your car was parked when this happened, etc) is very helpful. A guy totalled my old car last month and wouldn't accept fault even though I had been stopped at a red light, then moved straight through an intersection after my light was green, and her turned left into my drivers side. You would think that would be very straightforward to determine who was at fault, but because he lied, we had to wait for the police report to come out and it took several weeks. Then it was finally decided that he was 100% liable and I got my collision deductible and out of pocket expenses reimbursed by his insurance.
Progressive told me to call the police too and guess what? When I called LAPD they refused to come out because the situation did not warrant a police report they said.

According to their dispatcher in order for them to file a report, the accident must be hit and run, involve an injury, and/or the individual that caused the accident does not have a drivers license present. None of these criteria were met so dispatch would not call in the report. I have all the information I need though so I think everything will be fine. We shall see...
Old 11-21-14, 01:23 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Sorry about this. Similar thing happened to our RX, only difference, my wife and kids were getting out of the car and luckily didn't get hurt. The behemoth Armada that backed up got barely a scratch while 6600$ of damage was sustained on the RX. We paid not a dime as the lady who backed up took full responsibility.

What vehicle hit you and how?
Old 11-21-14, 02:28 PM
jarabanos
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sorry about this. Similar thing happened to our RX, only difference, my wife and kids were getting out of the car and luckily didn't get hurt. The behemoth Armada that backed up got barely a scratch while 6600$ of damage was sustained on the RX. We paid not a dime as the lady who backed up took full responsibility.

What vehicle hit you and how?
Glad to hear nobody got hurt! Basically the same thing happened in my situation as far as the "no damage to the perpetrator's vehicle" part.

I park in a lot where they try to Sardine as many cars in as possible to make the most money (the lot I park in doubles as parking for people working in the adjacent office building as well as general public parking). Fortunately there are three spots up against a wall and I always park in these spots so that way nobody parks next to me and dings my doors.

Because of the tight spaces for backing up and maneuvering, it sounds like the driver of the vehicle just made an error in space judgement and backed into my car going about 5 mph. Based on what I saw, the 5th wheel on the back of the trunk hatch (which had a fiberglass cover surrounding it) is what did most of the damage. Of course, the driver's car sustained virtually no damage...
Old 11-21-14, 05:30 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jarabanos
Progressive told me to call the police too and guess what? When I called LAPD they refused to come out because the situation did not warrant a police report they said.

According to their dispatcher in order for them to file a report, the accident must be hit and run, involve an injury, and/or the individual that caused the accident does not have a drivers license present. None of these criteria were met so dispatch would not call in the report. I have all the information I need though so I think everything will be fine. We shall see...
yea, unfortunately, cops don't come out for fender benders that happen in parking lots. I think you can always go to the station to file the report though, if anything.
Old 11-21-14, 05:52 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry, man. That sucks. Good that the person stayed there. I hope the repair is thorough and that it goes smoothly.
Old 11-21-14, 06:04 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, that sucks. I hope you're taking it to a reputable shop.
Old 11-21-14, 07:30 PM
Thetalk
Driver School Candidate

Ouch man very sorry about your baby. I've got the same car (350 Nebula)and also in Ca just north of LA.

That's a big worry of mine whenever I go somewhere in LA. Fortunately I rarely ever have to go there anymore. Same thing in the San Fernando valley. I would be so stressed out if I lived there for parking reasons alone, let alone the congestion.

You lucked out on it being a lease. I'd be pissed in my situation given I own and plan on keeping mine a while. I did auto body for a while and I know too much for my own good. Dont want my car in a body shop period.
Old 11-21-14, 08:52 PM
Akrkwk
Rookie

No offense but why did you even tell LFS? It said to do so for their benefits.. I cant really say any negative for you being honest but i wouldnt tell LFS voluntarily. Because in the end, the big companies will always try to get some out of you
Old 11-21-14, 11:35 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Akrkwk
No offense but why did you even tell LFS? It said to do so for their benefits.. I cant really say any negative for you being honest but i wouldnt tell LFS voluntarily. Because in the end, the big companies will always try to get some out of you
What will they try to get out of him? As long as the vehicle is repaired properly, he will be fine and have no problem with LFS. Believe me, if the car is turned in at end of lease, and LFS has not been informed of the accident, the inspectors will spot the body work very easily - they are well trained and very experienced.

For the OP - sorry to hear of this - like a previous poster mentioned, choose a shop that has a good track record for doing excellent work and you should be fine - the car will look great when they are done.

Last edited by gmanusmc; 11-22-14 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Someone backed into my car... :( [With Photo]