IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 12:04 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for tint pics with flaxen interior

Specifically black with 35% tint and flaxen interior. Also for those who have this color interior how difficult is it to keep clean? I always stick with black interior because i keep my cars on average 8 years and black tends to hide imperfections. But i am OCD and do stay on top of cleaning the car so it always looks new regardless of age.
Old 05-31-18, 08:55 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone, class, anyone?
Old 05-31-18, 12:29 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure what you are looking for, I have 2016 IS350, luxury edition with flaxen interior (real leather). Had to custom order the car since no one like that was available anywhere in the US. Beautiful interior and have had no issues keeping it clean but I don't have kids. Love my IS.
Old 05-31-18, 05:30 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

The thread clearly states that im looking for people who have tinted windows with flaxen interior. Im trying to get an idea of how much of the interior shows through the tint. While i was at it Im also asking how hard it is to keep clean. Im OCD and keep my cars on average 8 years and they always look just as new as when i bought it regardless of age.
Old 06-26-18, 09:08 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Window Tint

The '18 IS350 owner's manual suggests not to use any glass cleaner to clean the inside of the rear window because of the rear window defogger heater wires and antenna, but instead to use lukewarm water to clean as needed. I've seen many rides on this forum that have tint all around, but has anyone had any problems/issues with having tint on the rear window affecting the defogger or antenna?
Old 06-26-18, 09:35 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
The '18 IS350 owner's manual suggests not to use any glass cleaner to clean the inside of the rear window because of the rear window defogger heater wires and antenna, but instead to use lukewarm water to clean as needed. I've seen many rides on this forum that have tint all around, but has anyone had any problems/issues with having tint on the rear window affecting the defogger or antenna?
As long as you stay away from any glass cleaner that contains amonia, like Windex, you should be fine.
Old 06-26-18, 09:55 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

A slightly moist (or even dry if you want) microfiber is all you need to clean glass with or without tint.
Old 06-26-18, 10:10 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Tint did not cause any issues with the defroster or antenna.
Old 06-26-18, 10:44 AM
RayPags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
A slightly moist (or even dry if you want) microfiber is all you need to clean glass with or without tint.
Totally agree with this. I use to use glass cleaner on a previous car, over time it deteriorates the tint.
Old 06-26-18, 12:02 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been using Stoner's Invisible Glass for years with tinted windows on multiple cars with zero negative affects. I wouldn't use anything else either. A dry or damp microfiber towel? Sounds like streak city to me....
Old 06-26-18, 01:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
Been using Stoner's Invisible Glass for years with tinted windows on multiple cars with zero negative affects. I wouldn't use anything else either. A dry or damp microfiber towel? Sounds like streak city to me....
Nope. no streaks. As long as you start with clean windows and maintain them, no need for products. if i ever need product, i'll use a quick spritz of quick detailer. but that's rare.

if you have tint, you're essentially cleaning plastic. so not following the use of stoners on it. i mean i'm sure it works, but it may be overkill for cleaning plastic film. stoners is expensive stuff
Old 06-26-18, 03:33 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Ok thanks everyone - just wanted to make sure there aren't any lingering issues if I had tint installed down the road.
Old 08-17-18, 07:29 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

So I have an appointment scheduled next week to get the car tinted. The shop I'm going with is pretty reputable, 5 stars and has done a lot of celebrity/exotic cars. I believe they pretty much offer the Llumar product line, as they're an authorized shop to install it.
  • Llumar Formula One Stratos Series
  • Llumar Formula One Pinnacle Series
  • Llumar Formula One Classic Series
  • Llumar CTX
Speaking with the owner over the phone, he mentioned that the 'cheapest' film would be $250 to install for my car which I think would be the Classic Series. I'd think it'd cost about $300-350 for getting the Pinnacle. I don't need to go too high end on tint, but wanted something that would last and be good quality so I was thinking of maybe the Pinnacle. What do you guys think and what tint level should I get? (I have the IS350 in Obsidian). I know our cars have a slight tint on the windows stock.

Good thing is that this shop honors a true lifetime warranty against peeling, cracking, fading or adhesive failure.
Old 08-18-18, 10:53 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Here is a list of their types of film they offer. I would look through it to decide on what fits you best.

http://www.llumar.com/automotive-fil...utomotive-film

If you own the car then go with a film that isn't a dye to prevent it from fading. If its a lease then its up to you on what you want to get. I have one shade below limo and I cant remember if that is 15% or 10% for Llumar. It's dark enough and people will only pretty much see a shadow of the driver. Limo is too dark to see out from at night. Check with your state laws on the percentage of tint allowed if you car, most states you cant have anything on the front.
Old 08-19-18, 04:07 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by premier3IS
Here is a list of their types of film they offer. I would look through it to decide on what fits you best.

http://www.llumar.com/automotive-fil...utomotive-film

If you own the car then go with a film that isn't a dye to prevent it from fading. If its a lease then its up to you on what you want to get. I have one shade below limo and I cant remember if that is 15% or 10% for Llumar. It's dark enough and people will only pretty much see a shadow of the driver. Limo is too dark to see out from at night. Check with your state laws on the percentage of tint allowed if you car, most states you cant have anything on the front.
Thanks man. I own the car so I'm thinking of going to get the Pinnacle - I know it'll probably be a steep install price, but for the investment in the long run I think it'd be worth it especially for the interior vs. a cheaper tint. TN's legal limit is 35% so I think I'll keep it there.

Anyone have Pinnacle on their cars? If so, how does it look and how much does it really reject heat on the inside?

Quick Reply: Official 3rd Gen IS Tint Thread - add your pics here!