IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

HELP!!! Canadian version doesn't have Enform/APP Suit

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 10:29 PM
and3re
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowFJ
Saw it on the Lexus Canada website. Hopefully they would have backwards compatibility.

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/about/l...KplhoC_efw_wcB
Good find,

Once you get lexus enform, you will be able to remote start your engine with your key fob too ( and of course the app can start your car from your smart phone)

I wonder if Canadian dealers know if they are finally rolling out enform to other lexus models
Old 06-22-17, 06:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

One hurdle I see already with the Enform is that Canadian vehicles are not equipped with the SOS button...so you can pretty much assure that the older vehicles will not be getting Enform.
Secondly, App Suite 2.0, I believe, needs to have a cellular service on the vehicle in order to use the phone app to remote start the vehicle...which once again Canadian vehicles don't have equipped.
I would assume once the phone is connected to the vehicle you would be able to use the other apps that require cellular data...that's providing they go through the trouble of making the software backward compatible, which would ultimately require a software update from the dealer..or maybe a DIY online download.

I hope I'm wrong about all that...but I'm pretty confident I'm at least 2/3 correct
Old 06-25-17, 02:16 PM
kkkvn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
One hurdle I see already with the Enform is that Canadian vehicles are not equipped with the SOS button...so you can pretty much assure that the older vehicles will not be getting Enform.
Secondly, App Suite 2.0, I believe, needs to have a cellular service on the vehicle in order to use the phone app to remote start the vehicle...which once again Canadian vehicles don't have equipped.
I would assume once the phone is connected to the vehicle you would be able to use the other apps that require cellular data...that's providing they go through the trouble of making the software backward compatible, which would ultimately require a software update from the dealer..or maybe a DIY online download.

I hope I'm wrong about all that...but I'm pretty confident I'm at least 2/3 correct
I just ordered a 2017 IS 350 (from GTA). Do you think they will have the app / capability? I also did not notice a SOS button in the new 2017 IS 350.
Old 06-25-17, 07:56 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I made some inquiries about the Lexus Enform, and here is what I can say for sure:
  • 2018 LC500 is the first car to have Enform in Canada
  • It comes with a 2 year free subscription
  • It will have the SOS button as well as cellular service
  • There is no plan to make any of the other models backwards compatible at this time (honestly I doubt it will ever happen...they just don't have the infrastructure to support Enform)
  • There is no "remote start" feature at this time
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but anyone with a 3IS, or any IS, at this point, will not be getting Lexus Enform or App Suite 2.0 in Canada.
Not sure what the 2018 model year will bring for 3IS, only time will tell.
Old 06-26-17, 03:50 PM
MadmanJay
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disappointing.... I had a glimmer of hope that Lexus would update the 2017 Lexus IS with the basic Enform features. I don't even need the remote start or SOS stuff.

i would be happy if they at least enabled traffic on the GPS. I don't understand why this can't be enabled for Canada in regions that have HD radio signals like the Greater Toronto area. Guess I am stuck using google maps and waze.
Old 06-26-17, 04:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Honestly, I have the Enform suite with my new LC, and it's all pretty useless. You have to opt-in for the Service Enform feature (with the disclaimer they may use/sell your data for marketing, reminders, etc), so I did not. Once the trial periods runs out (Destination/Remote are 2 years and Safety/Service is 10 years), I won't be renewing any of them, otherwise it's $8/month for EACH of the four services ($32/mo).

FYI, traffic (and weather) comes in over HD Radio, has nothing to do with Enform. Enform gets things like stocks, sports, gas prices, 4 music apps, and yelp. All useless, except maybe the gas prices.

Last edited by TimboIS; 06-26-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 08:43 PM
and3re
Driver

I made some inquiries about the Lexus Enform, and here is what I can say for sure:
  • 2018 LC500 is the first car to have Enform in Canada
  • It comes with a 2 year free subscription
  • It will have the SOS button as well as cellular service
  • There is no plan to make any of the other models backwards compatible at this time (honestly I doubt it will ever happen...they just don't have the infrastructure to support Enform)
  • There is no "remote start" feature at this time
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but anyone with a 3IS, or any IS, at this point, will not be getting Lexus Enform or App Suite 2.0 in Canada.
Not sure what the 2018 model year will bring for 3IS, only time will tell.
Wtf are you serious?

I've read varying answers. I've read they were releasing enform in some way 2nd /3rd quarter 2017. I was assuming they meant backwards compatible.

Those bastards need to fork out the remote start for FREE
Why Americans have it but not us?
Old 06-26-17, 08:57 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by and3re
Wtf are you serious?

I've read varying answers. I've read they were releasing enform in some way 2nd /3rd quarter 2017. I was assuming they meant backwards compatible.

Those bastards need to fork out the remote start for FREE
Why Americans have it but not us?
It's just not possible to backwards compatible. The vehicle needs a cellular module built into it (like OnStar).

Not sure how you thought it would work in older vehicles?

Last edited by TimboIS; 06-26-17 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 04:16 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
It's just not possible to backwards compatible. The vehicle needs a cellular module built into it (like OnStar).

Not sure how you thought it would work in older vehicles?
I was hoping we might get the App Suite 2.0 and use a cell phone's data for the Apps.
Old 06-28-17, 08:42 AM
and3re
Driver

I was hoping we might get the App Suite 2.0 and use a cell phone's data for the Apps.
This was my guess. There are many workaround solutions lexus could implement. When asked, they did not give me any actual firm information

They could make a recall to 3rd/4th gen models. Not sure how far back they would go. This is all speculation, the point is that they could do it if they valued their costumers and wanted to retain brand loyalty
Old 06-28-17, 04:54 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They make you pay for map updates. I can guarantee they're not going to add an update so that older cars get App Suite lol.
Old 06-28-17, 06:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

On the LC you get 3 years of free map updates. There's a "Check for map update" built into the Nav. So far, the map data is up to date.
Old 06-28-17, 06:59 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
On the LC you get 3 years of free map updates. There's a "Check for map update" built into the Nav. So far, the map data is up to date.
Toyota/Lexus update map data in the Fall every year. Give it another 4-5 months and an update should be available.