Aircon Compressor takes more than 1minute to engage

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 06:58 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aircon Compressor takes more than 1minute to engage

Hi,

I noticed that if i don't use my car for more than 3 days, it take my A/C compressor more than a minute to engage. Once it engages, every is ok. A/C is cold and everything is back to normal. Is that a safety feature for our compressor?

TAI!
Old 07-19-14, 09:56 AM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=mark168;8631663]Hi,

Interesting. I get this even when I get in the car on a hot afternoon after work. It blows hot air for about 30-45 seconds. Pretty toasty in the car for the first couple of minutes!
Old 07-19-14, 10:00 AM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong but I feel like it seems my car won't blow A/C unless the air that comes out is cold (if I wanted it cold). It doesn't take more than 10 seconds even on a hot day. It blows even faster on a cold day, almost automatically on right away. I like this feature, if it is even one, so it doesn't blow hot summer air to my face.

So yah, I turn on the car, A/C doesn't blow for 1-10 seconds depending on outside temperature. Then it starts blowing air, but already cold.
Old 07-19-14, 01:53 PM
997c2
Driver

Originally Posted by drbazing
I could be wrong but I feel like it seems my car won't blow A/C unless the air that comes out is cold (if I wanted it cold). It doesn't take more than 10 seconds even on a hot day. It blows even faster on a cold day, almost automatically on right away. I like this feature, if it is even one, so it doesn't blow hot summer air to my faces.

So yah, I turn on the car, A/C doesn't blow for 1-10 seconds depending on outside temperature. Then it starts blowing air, but already cold.
Sorry but I had a tough time following your post..
Old 07-19-14, 02:02 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 997c2
Sorry but I had a tough time following your post..
Average systems will blow air right away once you turn ON the A/C and most of the time, that air will be warm or even hot. The car we have, or at least in my case, when I turn on the A/C I would hear it turning ON but nothing would come out. After a few seconds, air will start blowing out and it's already conditioned to the temperature I desire (ranging from LO to 68 degrees) instead of blowing warm or hot air initially like average A/C systems.
Old 07-19-14, 02:16 PM
997c2
Driver

Ohhh, now I understand. Thank you. Do you use "auto" setting?
Old 07-19-14, 02:54 PM
KS13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't the case on my is350. It blows out warm air (especially on hot days) for the first 10-25 seconds.
Old 07-19-14, 03:09 PM
onthelimit
Driver School Candidate

mine is somewhat similar to drbazing - very little air for 1-10 seconds and then it blows fine.
Old 07-19-14, 10:21 PM
drbazing
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 997c2
Ohhh, now I understand. Thank you. Do you use "auto" setting?
Yes that's what I use. I tried using just the manual one and it did blow air right away, and it was warm. I guess only works for auto?
Old 07-20-14, 03:36 AM
997c2
Driver

I'll definitely give the auto setting a try. I'm so damn old school in my ways, I always manually set the system up each time I start the car. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-14, 10:09 AM
Obscene14
Driver

I thought I was the only one frustrated by this. No air for the fist ten seconds then another 30-40 seconds before it gets cold. Plus there are hot spots with no air movement up around your head area on both the passenger and driver side no matter how you adjust the vents. I've even have had passengers mention the hot spots to me. This is the only car I've ever had that did this. All were blowing and cold in less that ten seconds with good air movement.. Yet another reason to drop this turd off when the lease is over and say Bye-Bye to Lexus. Such a poorly designed entry level luxury car is a disgrace. Here I come Audi I'm counting down the months. Only eighteen left.

I suppose the delay in cold a/c blowing is chalked up to Lexus reliability. LOL.
Old 07-20-14, 03:42 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Maybe I'm not understanding, but how is this a "bad" thing if the system is on Auto and it's trying to bring down the temperate of the air (to your desired temperate) before it leaves the evaporator & blows into your car?

If my car has been parked outside and the temperate inside has built up to be quite hot, I'd rather have the A/C system take it's time to deliver COLD air rather than blow HOT air at my face when I turn on the A/C (most cars with a manual A/C system will blow HOT air first and then gradually the temperate of the air blowing out of the A/C goes down as you drive).

So what can you do in the meantime while your A/C is working to bring down the temperature? How about open your windows and let all that heat that's trapped inside of your car out?

One minute is a pretty long time though - I would expect it to work within 30 seconds or so. I guess it depends of how cold you want the air.

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 07-24-14, 02:46 PM
drive90
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark168
Hi,

I noticed that if i don't use my car for more than 3 days, it take my A/C compressor more than a minute to engage. Once it engages, every is ok. A/C is cold and everything is back to normal. Is that a safety feature for our compressor?

TAI!
I have this exact same issue and it drives me nuts. Some people on here are referring to the slow build-up of airflow over 10 seconds or so which is typical of Lexus, but is not to what the OP is referring. My car, and the OP's, will be blowing hot air on full speed for a full minute before it becomes cool, and when it does cool it is cold near instantaneously in my experience.

I agree with the OP that it is a low-pressure situation when the car sits for a few days.

Supporting evidence for my assertion is that it will behave the same at 7:00 AM when I get in the car. It isn't remotely hot outside but there is a massive delay in cooling from the system.
Old 07-26-14, 01:26 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by drive90
I have this exact same issue and it drives me nuts. Some people on here are referring to the slow build-up of airflow over 10 seconds or so which is typical of Lexus, but is not to what the OP is referring. My car, and the OP's, will be blowing hot air on full speed for a full minute before it becomes cool, and when it does cool it is cold near instantaneously in my experience.

I agree with the OP that it is a low-pressure situation when the car sits for a few days.

Supporting evidence for my assertion is that it will behave the same at 7:00 AM when I get in the car. It isn't remotely hot outside but there is a massive delay in cooling from the system.
i experienced the above (and what the OP posted) today and it was superrrrrrr annoying. i just thought i'd share as i had to vent (no pun intended).

my 2IS didn't have this problem. ugh.
Old 07-28-14, 06:05 AM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

this happend to me this weekend too. The car had sat in a motel parking lot overnight until about 1pm when it was 95 deg outside and who knows how hot inside. I went out to start the car and cool it before my wife came out.

Started the car, put the A/C on Auto/Dual with both sides set at 65F. I started feeling the vents and felt only hot air coming out for almost a minute. I told my wife i thought the A/C was ****ed and we were going to have to sweat it out. Then it started to get cold.

Later that day when we got back in the car to return to the hotel, I didn't notice any delay. My wife has complained to me about this before, but I thought she just meant the A/C was weak and didn't cool the car fast enough.

We'll have the dealer service dept look at it and see what happens. I expect that it will be "normal". I've never experienced anything like this with any other of the 15+ cars we've owned.

Quick Reply: Aircon Compressor takes more than 1minute to engage