IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Compilation of problems on your IS350

Old 06-22-14, 05:29 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compilation of problems on your IS350

-Rust forming around the sunroof area (2 portions beside the rubber gasket)

-Smelly aircon when i start the engine

-Clunk / knock on the rear suspension when driving over a hump / bump

-Slight knocking sound on the engine while idling

-Road noise inside the car. Feels like Lexus did not put enough sound deadener

-Navigation / radio display would sometime go blank when you move from one function to another

So far that is what i have now. The most serious problem for me is the rust forming on my roof.
Old 06-22-14, 05:38 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

You got a picture of where you are taking about for the rust? First I've have heard of this
Old 06-22-14, 05:44 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
You got a picture of where you are taking about for the rust? First I've have heard of this
I don't have a clear picture of it yet since it's paint bubbles and is very hard to get a good shot of it. I've asked a friend photographer to help me take good shots of it so i can post it here. Will post it soon. How about the other problems i've listed down, have you had any of those?
Old 06-22-14, 06:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

For the clunk, try using the parking brake when parked, the next couple days since some folks found this to work. I believe it had to do with the brake cable tightening up after a few uses and not making the clunk afterwards.
Old 06-22-14, 06:48 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For the clunk, try using the parking brake when parked, the next couple days since some folks found this to work. I believe it had to do with the brake cable tightening up after a few uses and not making the clunk afterwards.
the sound feels like it is coming from my rear shock mounts. i had my car serviced last week for my first 10,000 kilometers and they adjusted my parking brake since it takes more than 8 clicks. now it is down to 4-5 clicks.
Old 06-22-14, 07:04 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mark168
-Rust forming around the sunroof area (2 portions beside the rubber gasket)
JP: pictures please?
-Smelly aircon when i start the engine.
JP: this is due to mildew, do try "baking" your car in the hot sun. helps.
-Clunk / knock on the rear suspension when driving over a hump / bump
JP: seems normal. even the Mercs and BMWs have this. Others can probably advise better
JP: during cold starts? if yes, maybe engine warming up
-Road noise inside the car. Feels like Lexus did not put enough sound deadener
JP: road noise is the biggest enemy of luxury cars, doesnt matter which brand or price, this is usually the issue.
-Navigation / radio display would sometime go blank when you move from one function to another
JP: yes, our car system are really slow. do allow it to cycle through first, it gets faster.
try skipping songs when playing music via iphone. slow motion.
So far that is what i have now. The most serious problem for me is the rust forming on my roof.
check out my replies above!
Old 06-22-14, 07:39 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

@jennypenny

-will send pictures soon

-yes sun bathing the car helped on the aircon smell problem but i also had to replace the a/c filter to carbon type

-the clunk on the rear is not normal on the mercs and bmws. i have both cars and never had that sound.

-the sound is not only during cold start. i would even hear it when driving thru fast food and when i park the car in my garage

-i don't think road noise is the biggest enemy of luxury cars. my merc and bmw is very quiet inside. by the way, my bmw is a 1994 e36 325i and a 2001 e39 525i which is 20 years old and 13 years old. I have a cheap 2013 Kia Sorento which is also very quiet inside.
Old 06-22-14, 08:11 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mark168
@jennypenny

-will send pictures soon

-yes sun bathing the car helped on the aircon smell problem but i also had to replace the a/c filter to carbon type

-the clunk on the rear is not normal on the mercs and bmws. i have both cars and never had that sound.

-the sound is not only during cold start. i would even hear it when driving thru fast food and when i park the car in my garage

-i don't think road noise is the biggest enemy of luxury cars. my merc and bmw is very quiet inside. by the way, my bmw is a 1994 e36 325i and a 2001 e39 525i which is 20 years old and 13 years old. I have a cheap 2013 Kia Sorento which is also very quiet inside.
for road noise, my dad has a 2013 S Class with low profile tyres. it suffers from road noise as well.

i suspect your old BMWs have high profile tyres?

Even in the Audi A7, they have road noise issues.

I do have a theory that newer cars suffer from road noise due to wheels upsizing.
Old 06-22-14, 09:02 PM
mark168
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jennypenny
for road noise, my dad has a 2013 S Class with low profile tyres. it suffers from road noise as well.

i suspect your old BMWs have high profile tyres?

Even in the Audi A7, they have road noise issues.

I do have a theory that newer cars suffer from road noise due to wheels upsizing.
My e36 is running on 225 / 40 R18 and my E39 in running on 255 / 35 R19. I actually complained about the road noise and Lexus Manila replaced my tires from Bridgestone to Dunlops. It improved a little but i can't say that the car is very quiet inside. My wife's 2005 Volvo V50 is also more quiet inside.
Old 06-22-14, 09:27 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=mark168;8594521]
/QUOTE]

I have had a couple of other cars with a ticking noise at idle and it was the injectors. This might be what you are hearing. Sure cure, never let it idle!
Old 06-23-14, 03:49 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Logical explanation on why metal rusts, right? A simple compound may help.

-Your air condition smells due to your poor vehicle maintenance. Try baking, or learn to turn off your ac before you turn the car off.

-Try stepping on the Ebrake cable all the way. This helped most members, other than that, this is the first.

-First time i've heard of this knocking, sound clip? Unless it's a ticking noise, thats because of the direct injection engine.

-I HIGHLY doubt your older cars are less noisey, unless you've added sound deadening material. It's in your head.

-Navigation is by far on point. Unresponsive, buggy, and ****ty.
Old 06-23-14, 05:50 AM
EffedSport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

road noise is my biggest complain on my 3IS. I even switched out the bridgestone turanzas which are know to be loud to softer Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I work in a body shop and Ive never driven a car with this much road noise. I have a 2001 F150 with Nitto Terra grappler tires and my brothers 2004 jeep grand Cherokee with 100,000 miles are both quieter than my IS350.
Old 06-23-14, 07:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

3IS is pretty quiet to me, noticeably quieter than my 2IS was
Old 06-23-14, 07:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
3IS is pretty quiet to me, noticeably quieter than my 2IS was
Same here. I always get comments from others when riding in my IS about how quiet it is. It's not as quiet as my RX, but certainly no complaints from me. About 8 months in to my IS ownership and I have no issues to report.
Old 06-23-14, 10:06 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't comment on the other problems but I can tell you that my IS is quieter than any Acura I've owned and it's almost as quiet as the Genesis I owned (which was dead silent) but with just the right amount of road noise let in to remind me that the the 3IS is a drivers car -- a sports sedan with luxury aspects rather than a luxury car with sports aspects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Compilation of problems on your IS350