IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Looking to purchase (2015) IS250 or (2016) IS200

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 08:53 AM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking to purchase (2015) IS250 or (2016) IS200

Hello everyone looking for some Input I currently own a 2006 Acura TSX with 150K+ Miles with zero issues 2nd owner car has been solid. I do most maintenance myself (Oil, Trans Fluid, Brakes Etc...) I don't drive my car hard.
Looking to upgrade to a newer auto I really like the body style of the 3rd Gen. IS250
I want a reliable car that I can get over 100K miles on it. Looking for comparable MPG to my TSX
I see that the IS200 is only RWD are they staggered tires? If is so that would mean quicker wear on tires more $$ not looking to spend more $$
The IS250 comes in AWD so all the tires are the same size? I was wondering how the MPG's are Highway I currently get around 32 MPG Highway on my TSX
If I were to purchase what are some of the things I should look out for?
I understand the Carbon buildup isn't an issue for these later generation IS's correct?
Old 01-02-20, 09:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

The IS will be reliable, for sure. There might be some snags or hiccups here and there, but by and large, the 3IS has been reliable so far.

F Sport models will get staggered tires, and ISs with the optional 18-inch mesh wheels get staggered tires as well. If you are concerned about paying more for tires, you could try to make sure you don't have a staggered fitment. That being said, the IS has an issue with excessive front lower-control-arm bushing deflection. In layman's terms, the tire will move around a bit during braking and cornering, creating more tire wear at the front, specifically on the inner edge of each tire. So, you are probably going to wear through the fronts early anyway, unless you plan to get GS F bushings or aftermarket bushings.

Carbon buildup is mostly not going to be a problem. However, on the 250, you still have a direct-injection engine, so some buildup will occur. It is not a serious issue, and no worse than other direct injection vehicles. If you spring for a 350 or 300 AWD, you'll get both port- and direct-injection, meaning you will have significantly reduced buildup.

Bottom line, if you are wanting a car that is cheap to run, you could do worse than an IS, but you could also do better. It will handle in a more balanced way than your TSX, but it comes with some compromises. Sure, the car will be reliable, but brakes and tires will be more expensive than something like the TSX.
Old 01-02-20, 01:12 PM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

arentz07 Thank you for your input
So both the IS200 & IS250 IS has an issue with excessive front lower-control-arm bushing deflection? Or only the IS200?
What are you driving and what kind of MPG's are you getting?
Thanks
Old 01-02-20, 01:31 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2016 IS200t. Non F-Sport, so my wheels/tires aren't staggered. I rotate my tires and expect to get ~30k miles out of them (they are some cheap random brand tires that the previous owner put on for lease return).

I average a nice 34 mpg on the highway (the V6 engine eats gas way more), but ~20 in the city.

I had to do my front pads and rotors after 15k miles (IS is known for eating brakes with the OEM pads/rotors). I changed my pads to Akebono's and love them so far. Minimal brake dust and I am hoping to get at least 30k miles out of these.
Old 01-02-20, 02:12 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,502 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Originally Posted by Braz60
So both the IS200 & IS250 IS has an issue with excessive front lower-control-arm bushing deflection? Or only the IS200?
Thanks
All IS models have the same bushings.

I have a 2016 IS 300 AWD. I have the F Sport package. I've been getting around 19 MPG, mostly city driving. On longer trips I've seen 26-28 MPG out on the highway.
Old 01-02-20, 02:18 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Braz60
Thanks
I bought my 16 IS200 F Sport a couple months ago I ordered the RC-F/GS-F lower control arm bushings from Monster Parts
and had a mechanic install it. Charged me one hour labor, though it doesn't take that long.
Old 01-03-20, 02:04 PM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Thanks pngo for your input
I like not having the staggered tires and I like your MPG's that works for me.
I live in Chicago wondering if I can get away with all season tires during our Chicago winters
Used to have a Cadillac CTS (Rear Wheel) all season tires could get tricky when it snowed
Old 01-04-20, 06:56 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So I came from a 2008 TSX that I drove for many years to my 2014 IS250, so can give you a pretty good comparison. I really loved my TSX, but the IS is really a totally different feel - much smoother, refined, solid, and connected to the road. The TSX is more raw and loud. The IS' 2.5V6 has about the same horsepower as the TSX, but uses it differently - you don't feel like you have to flog it like the TSX where you had to keep the RPM's up to utilize it. There are a lot of haters on the 250 for not having enough power, but I have found it is more than adequate. I just came back from a trip in the NC mountains and not once felt like I did not have enough power - took the hills just fine. I get about 25-26 MPG in the city and usually 34-35 on the highway.The engine is buttery smooth compared to the TSX - idles very smoothly/quietly (even with AC on) - you will hear more noise from the cars around you on the highway at 70mph than from your own engine.

Just clicked 40k miles and no unscheduled issues so far - have 27k on Michelins I put on at 13k and they still look very good - very even wear, but I do get an alignment every year. No staggered tire setup on the 250 - rotate every 6k. As long as you are not buying an F sport or a hard braker, pad life will be fine. I have had no issues.

If you really like the feel of the TSX, I would probably suggest the IS200t - the 4 cylinder turbo engine is more like that - higher revving and a little more raw at idle and acceleration. I can attest to this - my wife's NX200t has the same engine and it is not nearly as refined feeling as my IS250 - honestly, I wish it had the V6 - it does accelerate quicker, but I value the buttery smoothness of the V6 more. It all depends on what feel you like - drive them both and you will definitely notice the differences - good and bad.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong either way. I have been thoroughly impressed with the 2 Lexus' I own - rock solid so far. They are both built much more solid than the Acura - always hated the tin feel of the TSX doors when you closed them.

And I still like the TSX - stayed in the family as my son drives it now. I actually drove it yesterday - still fun to drive, but I will stick to my IS250

Hope this helps in your decision.
Old 01-04-20, 05:39 PM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

stbiss thanks for the great input. Very helpfull
We must have the same taste in cars I just bought my wife a NX200T 2016 she loves it. My wife had to have color white with tan interior found it in
Portland Maine drove it all the way home back to Chicago I would do anything to save $2K, Happy wife happy life they say
Your IS250 is it rear wheel or all wheel drive? Curious bc I like the gas mileage your getting that's something that's important to me.
Do you experience snow where your at? If so how does the car handle in the snow
Old 01-05-20, 04:15 AM
stbiss
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Braz60 - 100% agree with the "happy wife, happy life" mantra - she loves the NX as well, so ultimately that is what matters. One watch out on the tan interior (we have it too with red exterior) - if your wife wears a lot of jeans, dye is going to transfer to the outside bolster. I spend a lot of time cleaning that seat getting jean dye out - sometimes feels like a losing battle.

My IS250 is RWD and it has pretty much never seen the road during snow - snow happens occasionally here, but the IS gets parked and we use the NX FWD to navigate the weather. Maybe others can comment with the IS, but my past experience with RWD vehicles in snow was challenging sometimes. However, my bigger worry in the snow than traction is the lack of ground clearance on the front bumper - it is very low compared to the TSX. When it did snow last year, our road had big ruts which caused a buildup between the tire tracks - there were areas high enough of snow/ice that I would have been a snowplow with my front bumper.

It's well documented in this forum that you have to be careful with the front bumper clearance - unfortunately, I learned the hard way despite being very careful. I pulled into a parking space and cleared the space concrete stop with no issues, but snagged a small piece of rebar that was sticking up when I backed out - pretty much trashed the bumper cover as it tore up several clips - cost $1100 for new bumper cover. Since that time, I am ultra paranoid on parking now - if I have to pull into a space where there is a stop, I back in now.

Below is a picture of my IS - pretty much stock base model as I bought it except I added a Lexus backup camera and the Lexus logo scuff plates on the front doors. I am 100% pleased and would have no reservations about buying it all over again.

Old 01-05-20, 04:56 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

I definitely recommend you use dedicated well rated winter tires in snow conditions with RWD. I have the 2018 IS 300 RWD F Sport and here in Germany when it snows and I get to places that haven’t been cleared of snow I’ve slipped a lot with A/S tires. They are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which are supposed to do pretty good in the snow but I was slipping and sliding a lot. I haven’t put winter tires on and tested it out though because I just drive my other FWD car that has winter tires when it snows and leave my IS in the garage haha.
Old 01-05-20, 02:24 PM
m1919
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

My IS200t RWD with A/S before I swapped to my winter wheel set had the back end sliding out and a lot of slippage when starting during fresh snow.

My Blizzak WS-90s have cut traction issues to a minimum, but you still have to watch out for oversteer in fresh snow when making sharp turns.

Last edited by m1919; 01-05-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 05:08 PM
Braz60
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally got my IS200T

It's been about a year since I started this thread, I want to thank everyone for there input.
I found myself a 2017 IS200T Base Atomic Silver with 19K miles for $23,300 still has OEM warranty on it. I believe I got a good deal. I live in Chicago Illinois found the car in Houston Texas at an EchoPark dealership so I flew out there and purchased the car and drove it back to Chicago great road test for sure the car was solid now it has 20K plus miles.
First of all the car rides awesome, (Note I'm coming from a Acura TSX) I didn't experience any driver fatigue the seats are very comfortable the leg room width is a little narrow, (I am 6'-1")
The tires on the car are are A/S staggered but are not directional so I believe I can rotate side to side. Do you guys rotate your staggered wheels side to side or don't bother?
One thing I wasn't aware of and I should have paid closer attention was when I was driving home I decided to test out the seat warmers only to find out there are NO SEAT WARMER buttons WTF a Lexus doesn't have seat warmers it's an option.
Not a deal breaker but living in Chicago it comes in handy during the winter months.
EchoPark has some really good deals they are like a Car Max but much better prices and they only deal with cars no older than 4 years and have a clean CarFax.
The following 2 users liked this post by Braz60:
arentz07 (01-25-21), pngo (01-24-21)