IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Paddle Shift Manual Won't Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 07:01 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shift Manual Won't Work?

So I put my IS350 F Sport on manual mode and tried moving the gears up and down with shift **** or paddle shifters and both don't work? Am I doing something wrong? The gears are not shifting at all when I click on the paddle shifters or move the shift **** on manual mode.
Old 05-19-14, 07:14 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by finalhope
So I put my IS350 F Sport on manual mode and tried moving the gears up and down with shift **** or paddle shifters and both don't work? Am I doing something wrong? The gears are not shifting at all when I click on the paddle shifters or move the shift **** on manual mode.
That is really strange. I have never heard anything like this. Did you try turning the car off, back on, putting in sport mode, then switching to manual? Try driving in sport + automatic then switching to manual.
Old 05-19-14, 07:35 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you moving?

Trying to shift while stopped isn't going to yield great results.

Also, was the car cold? Often times when my car isn't warmed up, it doesn't upshift when I tell it to
Old 05-19-14, 07:52 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ exactly, it won't shift until proper operating temp is reached.
Old 05-19-14, 08:08 AM
JCWong
Rookie

or it has to be within optimal speed for the gear you want to change into?
Old 05-20-14, 04:13 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Well I wasn't really moving because I was afraid to since I don't know how to drive manually lol.
Old 05-20-14, 05:27 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Well I wasn't really moving because I was afraid to since I don't know how to drive manually lol.
Well you can't switch gears if you aren't moving... It's as useless as using the gas pedal when the car is off. As for not knowing how to drive it, play around with it. I didn't know how to either and I learned really quickly. All you have to do it drive in auto with the dash displaying the gears and just watch it a little to observe where it upshifts/downshifts.
Old 05-20-14, 05:50 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the IS yet but can't you switch gears while you're stopped? I think that's what OP was doing...
I know my F30 335 allows you to do so, just like in a real manual transmission!
Old 05-20-14, 06:40 AM
finalhope
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
I don't have the IS yet but can't you switch gears while you're stopped? I think that's what OP was doing...
I know my F30 335 allows you to do so, just like in a real manual transmission!
Correct, my 07 IS250 allowed me to do so. Something wrong with my IS350 or is it normal to not be able to switch gears while you're stopped?
Old 05-20-14, 06:44 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Correct, my 07 IS250 allowed me to do so. Something wrong with my IS350 or is it normal to not be able to switch gears while you're stopped?
It's normal. You can't switch gears while stopped in the 3IS.
The following users liked this post:
HeadShot (02-18-23)
Old 05-20-14, 10:53 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What's there to be afraid of? it'll shift for you even if you don't shift in time. When cruising, shift (manually) around 2.5-3k rpm, when going full throttle, shirt right before it reaches redline. Do this a few times and you'll laugh at your initial fears. And about the 335i, it allows you to shift from 1 to second when stopped, but that's it. If you shift to 3rd, it will drop down to second or so when you start moving, so it's not actually shifting, just changing numbers on the dash.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 05-20-14 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 09:39 PM
Jdouglas99
10th Gear

sorry to bring up a dead thread, did you ever happen to find out the cause of this issue. Neither my paddles nor shift **** respond to gear change. Itll show I switched to manual on my dash with the current gear but no response. Thanks!
Old 02-14-23, 10:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdouglas99
sorry to bring up a dead thread, did you ever happen to find out the cause of this issue. Neither my paddles nor shift **** respond to gear change. Itll show I switched to manual on my dash with the current gear but no response. Thanks!
It was a couple of posts down. He was not even moving when he was expecting the paddle shifters to shift through gears. You need to be driving at 15 - 20 mph or over to shift out of 1st gear shifting up.
Old 02-14-23, 10:06 PM
Jdouglas99
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It was a couple of posts down. He was not even moving when he was expecting the paddle shifters to shift through gears. You need to be driving at 15 - 20 mph or over to shift out of 1st gear shifting up.
Ah gotcha. Well I'm still at a loss for the reasoning for my issue. Any help would be appreciated. Fuses or relays to check? Clock spring is good id assume. I have cruise and horn functions.
Old 02-15-23, 06:14 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdouglas99
Ah gotcha. Well I'm still at a loss for the reasoning for my issue. Any help would be appreciated. Fuses or relays to check? Clock spring is good id assume. I have cruise and horn functions.
can you post more info on your circumstances rather than having everyone try to guess? Are you also trying to shift while stationary?

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Manual Won't Work?