IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS Next to Get Turbocharged 4-Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 02:04 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
BMW is premium, not luxury?? What are you on?
I thought the same!
Old 04-20-14, 03:48 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Gee, what's with the hate. It's my opinion, not the law.
BMW has to much problems with their products to be luxury to me. Something that spends more time in the auto shop than on the road is not luxury.
Old 04-20-14, 07:27 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4TehNguyen - Yes the turbo will always spin, but boost is a function of the engine load and the throttle position. If the throttle is mostly closed (cruising / low load condition), the flow of air through that side of the turbo is reduced significantly, the manifold will be under vacuum rather than boost and the amount of air in the cylinders will effectively be at normally aspirated levels.

Stomp on the gas, butterfly opens and a flow path through the turbo is established. Pressure begins to build.

Think of putting a box fan in a window. If the bedroom door is closed and no other windows are open, the box fan will spin at the speed it is rated at but there will be almost no flow. Open the door and another window elsewhere in the house, and the fan will suddenly produce flow.
Old 04-20-14, 07:53 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhs82
Gee, what's with the hate. It's my opinion, not the law.
BMW has to much problems with their products to be luxury to me. Something that spends more time in the auto shop than on the road is not luxury.
By this criteria I suppose Honda it's luxury to you
Old 04-21-14, 04:38 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keyframe13
By this criteria I suppose Honda it's luxury to you
Far from it. There's more to it than reliability.
Old 04-21-14, 05:47 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There are those of us who perceive our time as valuable and trips to a dealership are a waste of that time. A luxury item should never require multiple trips to a dealer to get it right. Reliability should be on the list of luxury items imo.

I've noticed a peculiar type of insanity in IS owners. They're attracted to Lexus because it is a trustworthy (reliable) brand but then some want it to keep up with untrustworthy (unreliable) brands like BMW by doing untrustworthy things.

Last edited by Glashub; 04-21-14 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 07:54 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Glashub
There are those of us who perceive our time as valuable and trips to a dealership are a waste of that time. A luxury item should never require multiple trips to a dealer to get it right. Reliability should be on the list of luxury items imo.

I've noticed a peculiar type of insanity in IS owners. They're attracted to Lexus because it is a trustworthy (reliable) brand but then some want it to keep up with untrustworthy (unreliable) brands like BMW by doing untrustworthy things.
One who gets my point.
Old 04-21-14, 05:09 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jhs82
In my opinion BMW is premium, not luxury. Lexus is above BMW, Merc and Audi.
That's your opinion, but to say a vehicle with a manual trans isn't luxury because you don't know how to drive one is pretty ridiculous don't ya think?
Old 04-21-14, 06:45 PM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
"The company rep who wished to remain anonymous said that the upcoming NX200t model will make 237 hp in production trim, while that number could be increased to closer to 250 for the IS."
Those hp numbers suck. My mom's Regal GS turbo makes more power for way less. Imagine your $45k f sport getting smoked by a Regal and every kid with a WRX turbo lol... no thanks.
Old 04-21-14, 09:32 PM
Vairox
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akshunj
Those hp numbers suck. My mom's Regal GS turbo makes more power for way less. Imagine your $45k f sport getting smoked by a Regal and every kid with a WRX turbo lol... no thanks.
my 2011 WRX was rated 2 tenths of a second faster 0-60 than my 350 and it felt a bit quicker than that to 60 than my 350 so it wouldn't just be the 250's getting handled and that thing was $27k
Old 04-22-14, 05:14 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vairox
my 2011 WRX was rated 2 tenths of a second faster 0-60 than my 350 and it felt a bit quicker than that to 60 than my 350 so it wouldn't just be the 250's getting handled and that thing was $27k
Yeah it is close with the (stock) Subies in my 350. If racing was my concern I wouldn't have bought the 3IS.
Old 04-22-14, 07:48 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

That's your opinion, but to say a vehicle with a manual trans isn't luxury because you don't know how to drive one is pretty ridiculous don't ya think?
Who said anything about me not knowing how to drive a manual transmission?
All of my previous cars has been manual.

How about you stop being a donkey and stop throwing allegations about my driving skills, since you don't know anything about me.
Old 04-22-14, 08:08 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by akshunj
that buick engine runs at a max of 24psi of boost. No thanks
Old 04-22-14, 08:09 AM
Mr_VFS1
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry but I think that a vehicle with a manual transmission isn't Luxury either. I would assume that someone who buys a luxurious car, wants to have a clean ride and let the car do all of the work while they relax and listen to music. They don't want to have to worry about shifting or anything like that. I like how the car comes with the manual mode and paddle shifters because when I want to use them, I can. I am not forced to use it all the time.
Old 04-22-14, 08:26 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the thing imo -- if it isn't a Bentley, Rolls, Aston Martin, Bugatti, etc. -- then we're left with cars that to varying degrees give an illusion of luxury while being firmly rooted in the economic realities of the manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS Next to Get Turbocharged 4-Cylinder