IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Changing bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 11:31 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Changing bushings

Hi, my car is coming up to seven years and I plan to change all the bushings and have a few questions:

1) What are the bushings that I need to buy? Sway bars? Links? How many are there?
2) Is it feasible to buy all the bushings and get them changed at a mechanic?
3) Anyone done this before and knows all the part numbers? What's the cost? 2016 200T here

Thanks.
Old 08-25-23, 02:57 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Hi, my car is coming up to seven years and I plan to change all the bushings and have a few questions:

1) What are the bushings that I need to buy? Sway bars? Links? How many are there?
2) Is it feasible to buy all the bushings and get them changed at a mechanic?
3) Anyone done this before and knows all the part numbers? What's the cost? 2016 200T here

Thanks.
Okay, but why are you changing bushings without a reason? Are yours bad? Tearing?

Most of the bushings in these newer Lexus's are pressed into the control arms, and while technically you could replace them, it is so much much easier to just replace the arm.

For the front end, youre looking at a lower control arm, lower control arm bushing, upper control arm, outer tie rod end, sway bar end link, sway bar bushing. Now multiply that times two for both sides. In the rear, you’re looking at new arms everywhere, as well as sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings.

IMO, what you’re wanting to do isn't necessary. Do an inspection, or have someone do the inspection for you and look for torn or worn bushings, and replace as needed.
Old 08-26-23, 01:14 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Hi.. yeah, I get that the bushings are pressed into place. Just that saw on ebay that for brands such as Audi and VW, there are bushings that are sold as a complete set for front and rear, so got inspired to also wanna change. So far, there is no cracks from my last inspection, but noticing some knocking noise and thinking about replacing the bushings and the savings could be quite substantial, but realising that most shops would only do a change instead.

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Okay, but why are you changing bushings without a reason? Are yours bad? Tearing?

Most of the bushings in these newer Lexus's are pressed into the control arms, and while technically you could replace them, it is so much much easier to just replace the arm.

For the front end, youre looking at a lower control arm, lower control arm bushing, upper control arm, outer tie rod end, sway bar end link, sway bar bushing. Now multiply that times two for both sides. In the rear, you’re looking at new arms everywhere, as well as sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings.

IMO, what you’re wanting to do isn't necessary. Do an inspection, or have someone do the inspection for you and look for torn or worn bushings, and replace as needed.
Old 08-26-23, 10:14 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Hi.. yeah, I get that the bushings are pressed into place. Just that saw on ebay that for brands such as Audi and VW, there are bushings that are sold as a complete set for front and rear, so got inspired to also wanna change. So far, there is no cracks from my last inspection, but noticing some knocking noise and thinking about replacing the bushings and the savings could be quite substantial, but realising that most shops would only do a change instead.
When are you experience knocking noise? When you're turning? going over bumps?

I think you'd be putting yourself in a worse spot by putting eBay bushings on your car rather than just leaving your original ones in. OEM or a high quality poly bushing from a reputable company. If you cant find any torn or worn bushings, you dont need to be replacing them.
Old 08-26-23, 10:23 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

When going over humps, there is no noise at all, only the usual sound of absorber being compressed, same for when turning, also no noise. The "tic tic" noise comes on when braking slightly harder, it is not the brake pads nor rotors as those were only changed not long ago and sound does not seem to be coming from there. It is noticeable even when windows are up, coz I can also hear it inside the cabin. Not gonna be getting ebay bushings, but the idea of changing a set of bushings came from those kinda listings.

Originally Posted by Pittsy
When are you experience knocking noise? When you're turning? going over bumps?

I think you'd be putting yourself in a worse spot by putting eBay bushings on your car rather than just leaving your original ones in. OEM or a high quality poly bushing from a reputable company. If you cant find any torn or worn bushings, you dont need to be replacing them.
Old 08-27-23, 11:21 AM
Pittsy
Racer

When going over humps, there is no noise at all, only the usual sound of absorber being compressed, same for when turning, also no noise. The "tic tic" noise comes on when braking slightly harder, it is not the brake pads nor rotors as those were only changed not long ago and sound does not seem to be coming from there. It is noticeable even when windows are up, coz I can also hear it inside the cabin. Not gonna be getting ebay bushings, but the idea of changing a set of bushings came from those kinda listings.
If you’re not comfortable diagnosing the car, bring it to a qualified technician.