Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

chemical guys mr pink and honeydew with the foam cannon
Old 04-03-14, 07:04 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdvanSLF
just a fair warning brah-- this detailing crap can get quite expensive quite quickly! i remember my first arsenal of detailing goods (wash products, accessories, towels, sealants, etc.) was about $350 in total. but again.. you just have to read and understand the process, then assess your needs.
This couldn't be any more true. Things can get expensive quickly and you can easily spend hundreds of dollars buying stuff. If you get involved in detailing its best to just build up an inventory over time as you see what works best and what doesn't. Its costly but if you buy quality equipment and products in bulk they will last a long time.

I personally use Optimum Car Wash with an ounce of Optimum No-Rinse added to it to soften the water because my water comes from a well and at times has high levels of minerals (aka hard water) which can leave water spots if you don't wash fast enough. I buy everything buy the gallon so its last a long time and is cheaper in the long run.
Old 04-03-14, 07:18 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rsnic-- do you do a waterless wash or QD with your ONR? do you find it staining your MF towels as some people of reported?
Old 04-03-14, 07:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I also use ONR on both my cars, followed by Wolfgang QD.

To me, what soap you use is important, but not nearly as important as your method. Multiple buckets, grit gards, clean mits/towels, etc... This point cannot be emphasized enough.
Old 04-03-14, 07:32 AM
Rsnic
Rookie

rsnic-- do you do a waterless wash or QD with your ONR? do you find it staining your MF towels as some people of reported?
Because its the winter i've only been doing full traditional washes. For right now i just use it as an additive to my wash bucket along with OCW to break up the hard water because my water comes from a well. Once its the spring/summer i'm gonna start to use ONR straight as a touch up in between washes to deal with the pollen.

As a quick detailer i use Optimum Instant Detailer or Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 both work/look great, but the Hybrid V7 stained the crap out of my white microfiber towels.
Old 04-03-14, 12:57 PM
Hupperware
Driver School Candidate

Adam's crushes all and I've used Zaino, Mother's, Chem Bros.. The rinse-less car wash is friggin' awesome. Detail spray is where it's at.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/ - 15% off with SPRING14 code

Just dropped $750 on the complete kit.
Old 04-03-14, 01:41 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
I also use ONR on both my cars, followed by Wolfgang QD.

To me, what soap you use is important, but not nearly as important as your method. Multiple buckets, grit gards, clean mits/towels, etc... This point cannot be emphasized enough.
Totally agree with you. however, placing one item more important over the other takes the importance away from the entire detailing process. I mean you're gonna need good MF towels so it doesn't scratch/mar. you're gonna need good technique because again you don't want to scratch/mar. you're gonna need good soap/cleaners in order to clean the car.. so i think all of those things, respective to itself are important, but more importantly, its to have the combination thereof.

Originally Posted by Rsnic
Because its the winter i've only been doing full traditional washes. For right now i just use it as an additive to my wash bucket along with OCW to break up the hard water because my water comes from a well. Once its the spring/summer i'm gonna start to use ONR straight as a touch up in between washes to deal with the pollen.

As a quick detailer i use Optimum Instant Detailer or Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 both work/look great, but the Hybrid V7 stained the crap out of my white microfiber towels.
wow, you must have a tree that grows cash...V7 as a QD? quite expensive for something so small and as a everyday QD (even when it's on sale). i'm assuming you use it as a top-off every time you do a rinseless, waterless, or full wash on your car.

Originally Posted by Hupperware
Adam's crushes all and I've used Zaino, Mother's, Chem Bros.. The rinse-less car wash is friggin' awesome. Detail spray is where it's at.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/ - 15% off with SPRING14 code
Just dropped $750 on the complete kit.
that's quite the statement! what makes adams so good? seriously, tell me the technology, your experiences, like/dislike, compared against?, etc. don't just say its good and better than anything else.. great advertising for them, but not enough context for me.
Old 04-03-14, 02:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Totally agree with you. however, placing one item more important over the other takes the importance away from the entire detailing process. I mean you're gonna need good MF towels so it doesn't scratch/mar. you're gonna need good technique because again you don't want to scratch/mar. you're gonna need good soap/cleaners in order to clean the car.. so i think all of those things, respective to itself are important, but more importantly, its to have the combination thereof.
Fair enough, point taken re: the importance of the whole package. I consider those other items more important than the soap because those are the items that are more likely to damage your paint than the soap you choose, at least in my experience. If you are using cheap or dirty towels, dirty water, etc., it won't matter what kind of soap you use. Damage is done. That was my point. YMMV
Old 04-03-14, 03:53 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Fair enough, point taken re: the importance of the whole package. I consider those other items more important than the soap because those are the items that are more likely to damage your paint than the soap you choose, at least in my experience. If you are using cheap or dirty towels, dirty water, etc., it won't matter what kind of soap you use. Damage is done. That was my point. YMMV
Agreed. cheers!
Old 04-03-14, 08:08 PM
Rsnic
Rookie

wow, you must have a tree that grows cash...V7 as a QD? quite expensive for something so small and as a everyday QD (even when it's on sale). i'm assuming you use it as a top-off every time you do a rinseless, waterless, or full wash on your car.
Haha, yeah i guess i should of clarified that. For touch ups i use OID and as a LSP/drying aid after a wash i use V7 which seems to work really well with cars that are opti-coated.

As for price if you spend $500 a year at detailed image you qualify for a wholesale account and everything is cheaper. and hitting that amount isn't hard if you start buying polishers or you do some weekend detailing jobs.
Old 04-04-14, 02:56 PM
phungy
Driver

if you like ONR phungy, you should try UWW+.. the concentrate gives great dilution ratios too and can be used for everything! and its also just as much if not more cost effective!
I'll look into that! Thanks for that tip.
Old 04-04-14, 03:04 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

It looks like I'm gonna need to buy more of no rinse washer. Can't wash cars in CA anymore.
Old 04-04-14, 09:45 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
It looks like I'm gonna need to buy more of no rinse washer. Can't wash cars in CA anymore.
Could you explain? Tried to find the law related to this online but don't quite understand what is going on.
Old 04-05-14, 01:46 AM
zabone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in NYC we have soft water here but spotting is still a problem.

If my car is dirty, I will pull out the pressure washer to give a foam bath and rinse prior to a hand wash.

If the car is dusty, I use a one bucket method with ONR.

1 bucket, grit guard, 4 gallons distilled water, 2.5 oz ONR, and quality edge less microfibers.

I wash a panel at a time with drying by waffle weave towels

Sounds crazy, but an average automatic car wash charges 14 bucks here. They also damage your paint. My one bucket onr method costs like 6 dollars total.

It also only takes about an hour!
Old 04-05-14, 02:42 AM
magne
Lead Lap

I'm using several different soaps.
The favorite is optimum car soap. It smells good, does the job of cleaning without any problems, gives a good glide and leaves no residue.

I've used chemical guys a lot to, but some of their soaps leaves residue and streaks.
Worst of them is honeydew soap. It smells like heaven, but the car looks like you've just left the soap on wafter washing, even if you use a high preassure washer for 15 minutes on the car.

CG makes a lot of different soaps. The citrus wash works great, but still my favorite is optimum, because of the things I stated earlier about the soap.

In the foam gun cannon I use surfex HD degreaser in about 1:20, and some chemical guys maxi suds soap to add extra foam that sticks to the car for while.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Soap: What Do You Use?