IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Stains in Caviar finish

Old 06-08-18, 07:23 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Stains in Caviar finish

My last two cars were G35x/G37xs in Obsidian Black. I am used to finishes getting stained.

The issues with he Caviar kind of snuck up on me over my first 6 months of ownership. I noticed one stain on the trunk lid where something was had pooled
in a droplet the size of a thumbnail. The other thing I just noticed was a streak on the hood, like something splattered while driving. I keep a spray bottle of distilled water
in the garage to immediately dilute/gently remove any tree debris or droppings. I never let anything sit. My parking garage at work leaks, and that water carries all sorts of crud.
However, I don't think that is a source. I tried to work out the stains using just some liquid wax, nothing aggressive. Helped, but did not eliminate.
They can only be seen in a certain light/angle, so not too bad. My friend of 20 years is a detailer, and I will have him look at it. What's your experience?
Old 06-08-18, 01:31 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
My last two cars were G35x/G37xs in Obsidian Black. I am used to finishes getting stained.

The issues with he Caviar kind of snuck up on me over my first 6 months of ownership. I noticed one stain on the trunk lid where something was had pooled
in a droplet the size of a thumbnail. The other thing I just noticed was a streak on the hood, like something splattered while driving. I keep a spray bottle of distilled water
in the garage to immediately dilute/gently remove any tree debris or droppings. I never let anything sit. My parking garage at work leaks, and that water carries all sorts of crud.
However, I don't think that is a source. I tried to work out the stains using just some liquid wax, nothing aggressive. Helped, but did not eliminate.
They can only be seen in a certain light/angle, so not too bad. My friend of 20 years is a detailer, and I will have him look at it. What's your experience?
it's most likely etching from acidic bird **** or bug guts. Do you have any pics? That will give an idea of where to start so you don't waste time and product