IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The IS and dogs

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 10:39 AM
Heard006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The IS and dogs

Anyone taken their dog in their IS? I've never had a nice car like this and am a little nervous taking the dog places ... don't want to rip the leather! I'm putting a blanket down on the passenger seat and hoping for the best now. Let me know if and how your dog's get to enjoy your IS.
Old 03-20-14, 10:45 AM
waxy
Pole Position

My French Bulldog loves it, but he cannot reach the passenger side window even if I roll it all the way down.
He'll just jump down to the leg space where there's AC constantly running.
Falls asleep in 5 mins when seated in the passenger side.

Breed : French Bulldog
Weight : 40 pounds
Size : 16 inches

Aside from that, I'd advise putting a towel or a fabric sheet cover to cover the seats, that way loose hair doesn't fly everywhere and gets trapped in the crevices.

I left him in the back seat, had some issues positing himself, due to the design of the seats.
Old 03-20-14, 11:55 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got this from amazon (large size)

Amazon.com: Petego Pet Tube Car Kennel, Large: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Petego Pet Tube Car Kennel, Large: Pet Supplies

it's perfect for when the dog is wet due to its waterproof bottom. It also stays rigid in the car because it has a spring system built in where it unfolds by itself. I have a pretty big lab, he fits there fine without a problem. The tube is exactly the size of the backseat in length, can be folded within seconds and put into the trunk. Very durable, already had mine for a year and not an issue.
Old 03-20-14, 12:48 PM
Heard006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
I got this from amazon (large size)

Amazon.com: Petego Pet Tube Car Kennel, Large: Pet Supplies

it's perfect for when the dog is wet due to its waterproof bottom. It also stays rigid in the car because it has a spring system built in where it unfolds by itself. I have a pretty big lab, he fits there fine without a problem. The tube is exactly the size of the backseat in length, can be folded within seconds and put into the trunk. Very durable, already had mine for a year and not an issue.
Thanks, this seems %100 all around in protection of car and cleanliness! It looks like they can stick their head out a window. Just feel a touch bad if he wants to stand and the mesh is akward for him. And I have an 80lb American foxhound ... big, clumsy
Old 03-20-14, 01:21 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont have a 3rd gen but my pup loves it my 2nd gen. Its low enough for all dogs to hop in and out no matter how big or small. He also loves to get muddy and hop in my car all the time so he sits on my lap the majority of the time but even sitting in the passenger seat its never been an issue (other than reaching the window). The black leather sport seats are a bit easy to clean but it wouldn't hurt to have a blanket or something down

Old 03-20-14, 01:48 PM
iPinky
Driver

Thank goodness I don't have any big dogs. I'm too OCD to let my dog have free reign of the seat. I usually travel with her in a crate. If I have a passenger with me who can hold my dog, then she sits on his/her lap.
Old 03-20-14, 01:51 PM
FSPORTJC
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a seat cover which covers the entire rear seat.. its strapped to the headrests so it never falls down.
Purchased at Pet Smart for like $30.

Kurgo Bench Seat Cover
Item: 36-5187989

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/seat-pro...pfm%3Dcategory
Old 03-20-14, 01:57 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The pet kennel I was referring to, it does allow a large sized dog to sit upright inside no problem. It's a huge tube that takes up the entire backseat up to the headrests. Mine sits and lays in it comfortably and he's about 90 lbs.

Not my dog, but here is the exact pet tube with a husky.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61iyun3Ut4L.jpg

The kennel door can be partially left open if you want your dog to stick out the window.
Old 03-20-14, 02:13 PM
Heard006
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iPinky
Thank goodness I don't have any big dogs. I'm too OCD to let my dog have free reign of the seat. I usually travel with her in a crate. If I have a passenger with me who can hold my dog, then she sits on his/her lap.
I know, I'm type A about my car as well. But it's great to enjoy them both together.
Old 03-21-14, 09:05 PM
OMalley
Driver School Candidate

My pup loves my car. I can thankfully take her to work everyday, so she rides daily and doesn't cause any problems. She generally will pass out in the passenger seat quickly. She has scratched at the seats a few times, but has not caused any damage. For long rides I toss down a small doggie bed and she passes out immediately.

However, if I had a large dog, I may be more hesitant. lol

Old 03-22-14, 07:37 AM
VelvetFog
Driver School Candidate

For short trips I have an old car floor mat I put on the seat, It helps him grip the seat and not slide around. For longer trips we got this car seat. The seat belt holds it in place and it can be used in the front or back seat.

We also use a strap to hold his collar to the seat belt to keep him from climbing out or becoming a projectile if we have a crash.