IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Forget BMW, it's the Lexus of it's segment !

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Forget BMW, it's the Lexus of it's segment !

The Mazda3 has always been considered the "BMW" of it's segment as it typically handles the best and is the most fun to drive. Since the 3IS has beat out the BMW and is the current "Ultimate Driving Machine", guess you could say the Mazda3 is now the "Lexus" of it's segment - even commanding a price in the low 30's when greatly equipped with things like Blind Spot Monitor and Heads up Display not found on it's competition

Old 03-18-14, 03:08 PM
IS35OF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been a fan of Mazdas and have previously owned an RX-8 and recently a BT50 pick up.

I've just acquired a Mazda 6 Wagon that I use for work and I'm incredibly impressed with it. It beat everything else in its class in my mind and it's no less fun or enjoyable to drive than my IS350 F Sport. Down on power yes, but still a great drive!

They're hard to go past if you require that sort of car.
Old 03-18-14, 03:09 PM
JGard18
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned two RX-7s in the past as well as a Miata MX-5. I believe another MX-5 will be in my garage within the next six months as a toy car. Have always liked Mazdas and really appreciate how they make an effort to make all their cars fun to drive, unlike some other manufacturers (as I glare a Nissan...)
Old 03-18-14, 03:22 PM
WWM
Rookie

The Mazda3 has a nice amount of tech for its price range and looks pretty sharp. But a naturally aspirated 180 bhp and front wheel drive? No thanks. If they do a Mazdaspeed3 with AWD, 300bhp and a DCT I'd be sold in an instant. The first two are actually rumoured, but I doubt they'd offer it with anything other than a manual.
Old 03-18-14, 03:29 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

I am really starting to like the way the new Mazdas are looking now. I used to own an 94 FD RB in Japan and a 92 MX-3 GS.
Old 03-18-14, 03:44 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife drives a Mazda CX9 and it's a great SUV that handles quite well. The suspension engineers at Mazda know what they are doing imo.

I love the styling of the new Mazda's but unfortunately, it seems as if they are heading down the path of ultimate efficiency and aren't offering "exciting" engines as options. I love the new 6, but it would be painfully boring. .

I had a 1985 626 many years ago. My Grandpa bought it new, I bought it from him around 2000, and my dad bought it from me in 2004. 3 generations!
Old 03-18-14, 03:57 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove a Mazda few years back (2011) . It was cheap made, cheap feel, and the engineers put the gearbox the other way around. You had to move the shifter backwards to change the gears up and forward to change them down. Didn;t make any sense. I never seen this to any car before. Honda it's a much better car overall.
Old 03-18-14, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I test drove a Mazda few years back (2011) . It was cheap made, cheap feel, and the engineers put the gearbox the other way around. You had to move the shifter backwards to change the gears up and forward to change them down. Didn;t make any sense. I never seen this to any car before. Honda it's a much better car overall.
Actually that's the way BMW does it, and why purists who can't get a manual enjoy it. Typically in a manual car to shift into the second gear from first you go downwards from 1 to 2. No different than putting - on top and + on the bottom
Old 03-18-14, 05:27 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Porsche and BMW do this, push stick forward to downshift, pull back to upshift.
It is more natural this way, it's Toyota (and others) that have it backwards...

When you accelerate, the G forces force you backwards, thus you should be pulling back on the shifter **** to upshift. Opposite for when you brake.

As long as the car has paddles on the steering wheel/column, no point in using the console shifter.

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Old 03-18-14, 05:51 PM
CharlieVo
Driver School Candidate

I will never buy a Zoom Zoom car lol
Old 03-18-14, 08:52 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Actually that's the way BMW does it, and why purists who can't get a manual enjoy it. Typically in a manual car to shift into the second gear from first you go downwards from 1 to 2. No different than putting - on top and + on the bottom
Originally Posted by itsmike177
Porsche and BMW do this, push stick forward to downshift, pull back to upshift.
It is more natural this way, it's Toyota (and others) that have it backwards...

When you accelerate, the G forces force you backwards, thus you should be pulling back on the shifter **** to upshift. Opposite for when you brake.

As long as the car has paddles on the steering wheel/column, no point in using the console shifter.
I see you're both logic and i like the Gforce one, altho I don;t see why VW group would do that to a porsche and not do this to VW, audi, wouldn;t apply the same principle?!
For me with manual it;s a forward and downwards movement to go forward. but if I want to make the car start moving I engage the first gear which is forward. For me the logic is UP-Forward /Down-Backwards
It is a matter of getting used to it i'm sure but I didn't like to see that the other way I ever seen it before

Last edited by keyframe13; 03-18-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 11:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Can't get used to the saggy, swoopy, bonsai, no trunk styling.

Regarding the direction of manual auto shifting, the first to come in the 90's (Honda Prelude/VW Passat)shifted down for downshifting. This was for two reasons: The first one was based purely on logic- to keep the words "down and down" together. Move it down the console to shift down a gear is an easy word association match in the brain. Second, to mimic what people were used to for the last thirty years of automatic-equipped cars whose gear shifter moved toward the body to select a lower gear (ya'll remember PRNDL21?). The other makes that came along soon after decided to interject their own process and confuse things.