IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

phungy's Obsidian/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport (Lots of Photos!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 08:27 PM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default phungy's Obsidian/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport (Lots of Photos!)

Got the email from Park Place Grapevine that my car arrived. I skipped lunch and drove there during my break. I told them 3 times to leave the wraps on the car and they listened!

They had to drive the car from the Park Place Plano dealership bc it was under their inventory.

I drove back to work and kept peeking out the window to make sure no one did anything to my baby. I got a thumbs up from a stranger walking by.

I was considering buying OEM mats but went with Customizable WeatherTechs and couldn't be happier.

More shots of the car with the wraps on:

After a wash, Iron X, wash, clay bar, polish, Clear Bra, one application of Chemical Guys V7 Hybrid and two applications of Chemical Guys Blitz Acrylic. Total time: 4 hours. My back hurts! One mistake I did...using Optimum No Rinse. That caused micro scratches and swirls.

I attempted to apply Clear Bra myself, It worked for certain areas like the side mirrors, LED DRL, Both fenders, A-Pillars and both sides of the "fog light" area. I attempted the hood. It was good until the very last part where it kept bunching up so I'm just going to have Lexus install their Invisishield before I have a detailer apply Opti-Guard Pro next Sunday.

Lights on!

Pretty neat, accidental shot. Hypnotic
Old 01-18-14, 08:52 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow congrats and welcome to the club. But more so than getting a 3IS I commend you more for all the work you put in! Especially the clear bra

2014 IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red
Old 01-19-14, 01:11 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Getting into detailing?
Old 01-19-14, 03:08 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats. It shows how passionate you are of the car and I applaud you for that. Really cool lighting pic you shot.
Old 01-19-14, 08:57 AM
dangla1603
Rookie

Hey...congrats...well I bought my car from Park Place too. Sounds like we can hang out sometimes lol.
Old 01-19-14, 05:12 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phungy
Got the email from Park Place Grapevine that my car arrived. I skipped lunch and drove there during my break. I told them 3 times to leave the wraps on the car and they listened!

They had to drive the car from the Park Place Plano dealership bc it was under their inventory.

I drove back to work and kept peeking out the window to make sure no one did anything to my baby. I got a thumbs up from a stranger walking by.

I was considering buying OEM mats but went with Customizable WeatherTechs and couldn't be happier.

More shots of the car with the wraps on:

After a wash, Iron X, wash, clay bar, polish, Clear Bra, one application of Chemical Guys V7 Hybrid and two applications of Chemical Guys Blitz Acrylic. Total time: 4 hours. My back hurts! One mistake I did...using Optimum No Rinse. That caused micro scratches and swirls.

I attempted to apply Clear Bra myself, It worked for certain areas like the side mirrors, LED DRL, Both fenders, A-Pillars and both sides of the "fog light" area. I attempted the hood. It was good until the very last part where it kept bunching up so I'm just going to have Lexus install their Invisishield before I have a detailer apply Opti-Guard Pro next Sunday.

Lights on!

Pretty neat, accidental shot. Hypnotic
So your car had no scratches when you picked it up from dealer? According to my dealer they didn't do any detailing when I picked up mine but my car still had bunch of swirls and scratches.

I think I spent more time detailing my car than driving it so far...
Old 01-19-14, 05:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That hypnotic shot is neat
Old 01-20-14, 04:21 PM
phungy
Driver

Originally Posted by shivad87
Wow congrats and welcome to the club. But more so than getting a 3IS I commend you more for all the work you put in! Especially the clear bra

2014 IS 350 F-Sport Ultra White/Rioja Red
Thanks shivad87!

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Getting into detailing?
Trying to! The first couple steps (2 bucket wash, dry, claybar, polish) is a bit boring. The fun starts afterwards. I knew black was going to be a pain to be perfectly clean but man, I keep seeing haze from the sealant everywhere popping up. Not good for a person with OCD

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats. It shows how passionate you are of the car and I applaud you for that. Really cool lighting pic you shot.
Thanks corradoMR2!

Originally Posted by dangla1603
Hey...congrats...well I bought my car from Park Place too. Sounds like we can hang out sometimes lol.
Def! I want a meet up with other 3IS owners.

Originally Posted by SonyHome
So your car had no scratches when you picked it up from dealer? According to my dealer they didn't do any detailing when I picked up mine but my car still had bunch of swirls and scratches.

I think I spent more time detailing my car than driving it so far...
I couldn't inspect bc the car was filthy. It was covered in dirt. The paint under the wraps however were perfect...until I ruined it
Old 01-20-14, 04:39 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't inspect bc the car was filthy. It was covered in dirt. The paint under the wraps however were perfect...until I ruined it
Part where I noticed the most swirls were long section above the door handles but below the bottom window trim. Since my dealer didn't touch it I can only assume it came from factory that way or people who were transporting added in these swirls. Either way it was disappointing to see those swirls on a brand new car.

What I did was used the dual action polisher and Optimum Hyper Polish using crimson Lake Country pad to polish my whole car before applying Opti-Coat 2.0. I do notice that Lexus paint is very easily scratched/marred so I'm hoping Opti-Coat will help keep it scratch free. I'm having PPF put on 1/30.
Old 01-20-14, 04:50 PM
phungy
Driver

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Part where I noticed the most swirls were long section above the door handles but below the bottom window trim. Since my dealer didn't touch it I can only assume it came from factory that way or people who were transporting added in these swirls. Either way it was disappointing to see those swirls on a brand new car.

What I did was used the dual action polisher and Optimum Hyper Polish using crimson Lake Country pad to polish my whole car before applying Opti-Coat 2.0. I do notice that Lexus paint is very easily scratched/marred so I'm hoping Opti-Coat will help keep it scratch free. I'm having PPF put on 1/30.
I noticed the same (paint easily scratched). I was initially going to put opti-coat before PPF but decided to go with PPF before Opti-Coat. I googled and it seems like it can go either way. Glad we both care about our 3IS the same way. Great minds think alike
Old 01-20-14, 05:48 PM
NG3IS3F
Driver School Candidate

Congrats! I actually work for Park Place Volvo (but drive an IS350 lol) Anyway, glad to hear you were taken care of. Nice Car!
Old 01-20-14, 05:48 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

For a second I thought you were gonna be driving the car with the wrapper on it for the entirety of it's life.
Old 01-20-14, 08:06 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice! Love the color combo
Old 01-20-14, 09:40 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

congrats, looks good! My car was detailed prior to the full Xpel Ultimate application also! My installer is REALLY good, but was still not able to install it on the IS headlights. Does anyone have their lights clear brah'd?
Old 01-20-14, 10:13 PM
dangla1603
Rookie

Def! I want a meet up with other 3IS owners.

sounds like we should make a list for those owners who are in Dallas

Quick Reply: phungy's Obsidian/Rioja Red IS350 F-Sport (Lots of Photos!)