IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Best stuff to use for car washing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 08:18 PM
DreLo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best stuff to use for car washing

I'm used to taking my car to the car wash but I just don't trust them with my $43k Lexus so I want to start washing it myself. I haven't done it in so long though that I just don't know what to use. What does everybody use for washing their cars and taking care of the interior? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-14, 08:29 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the meguiar's new car kit , and their interior cleaner .
Old 01-07-14, 08:30 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

join autopia.org

if you need stuff over the counter(from autozone or the like), get meguiars gold class or wash and wax for your soap. theyre both good. get some QUALITY microfiber towels and mitts, 2 5 gallon buckets, and a wheel brush.

-microfiber towels
-microfiber mitt
-tire swipe
-waffle weave drying towel
-clay bar
-two 5gal buckets
-meguiars gold class
-meguiars NXT liquid wax
-meguiars NXT tire gel
-lexol leather cleaner/protectant
Old 01-07-14, 08:44 PM
Lost808
Pole Position

The best interior cleaner (minus leather) is 1Z einszett Cockpit Premium hands down! I also use Aerospace 303 on any black trim or plastic outside, as it helps protect it from the sun.

Exterior, I use all the uber products from detailers Domain. Their black uber micro are awesome, along with their uber waffle towels to dry. I also use their uber blue clay and then SONAX Polymer Net Shield to seal the paint. You can put down a coat of you wax (I don't like carnauba waxes) first, then the SONAX sealant after.
Old 01-07-14, 09:28 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my CRSpotless! The more you touch your car, the more it will show scratches eventually.

http://www.crspotless.com/

use the 2 bucket method and foam cannon.
Old 01-07-14, 09:51 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DreLo
I'm used to taking my car to the car wash but I just don't trust them with my $43k Lexus so I want to start washing it myself. I haven't done it in so long though that I just don't know what to use. What does everybody use for washing their cars and taking care of the interior? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I used to think the same, until I encountered a car wash full of high-end cars. Now everytime I go, I see cars worth thrice what I paid so it all depends I guess where you go. Some places will be a bit more pricey, but they will use quality products and do a great job.
Old 01-07-14, 11:19 PM
semoquer
Rookie

I like using chemical guys maxi suds 2 with a foam cannon
Old 01-07-14, 11:45 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bucanero
I used to think the same, until I encountered a car wash full of high-end cars. Now everytime I go, I see cars worth thrice what I paid so it all depends I guess where you go. Some places will be a bit more pricey, but they will use quality products and do a great job.
I have yet to see any 'high end' car washes, if there even are any, maybe a high end detail shop.

Check out Autopia, or detailed image.

Detailed image has a really defined step by step guide from washing to drying, to waxing, to almost anything. Check them out.

As for car soap, I was using Meguiars Gold Class, but this car soap is a little 'harsher'. It's good for striping old car waxes/coating. But none the less, still a good car soap if you don't want to purchase online, and need an OTC product.

I'm currently using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II. Great lubricity, with a neutral PH, so it doesn't harm any waxes or coatings you may have on your car. It's the lowest end of their car soaps, but it fits for my needs. Just do your research.

Here what I use, its a budget setup, but I find that it works really good, and I've done all the hard work for you.

Exterior:
For washing, use the 2 bucket wash system: 2, 5gal buckets, with grit guards if you wish.
Car soap- Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II
Wash Mitt- Lambskin wash mitt
Drying towel- Waffle weave towel
Microfiber cloths- Plenty high quality MF towels, and also double sided plush/nappy MF towel(great for applying almost anything, especially QD)

Interior:
I dust the whole car. And if any area has been contaminated with dirt, I wipe off with a damp cloth.

Since my car is nuluxe, there really isn't a need to purchase seat conditioners/cleaners, as you would for legit leather seats. Just wipe with a damp cloth if you have nuluxe.

As a finisher, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. This stuff is awesome, UV protectant, non greasy/oily, will darken faded plastic/rubber, and will make it look like new. Great stuff, must buy.

Those are the basics, so enjoy

Last edited by aTeAse; 01-07-14 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 12:56 AM
DreLo
Rookie

Thanks everybody for the great responses. This helps a ton!