IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front License Plate Holder (2014 IS250)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 01:35 PM
jjmaxx81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Holder (2014 IS250)

I've just received my CA plates and need to go to a dealer to get the fronts installed as they have to drill holes???. Does anyone know if they put a proper plate holder first or just drill holes and attach the plate directly to car grill?
Also, I've seen lots of Mercs, BMW's, Audi's with only back plates and no fronts.
I'm thinking of just doing the same rather than getting the front drilled.
How likely am i to get pulled over by the cops in LA?
Old 01-02-14, 01:45 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmaxx81
I've just received my CA plates and need to go to a dealer to get the fronts installed as they have to drill holes???. Does anyone know if they put a proper plate holder first or just drill holes and attach the plate directly to car grill?
Also, I've seen lots of Mercs, BMW's, Audi's with only back plates and no fronts.
I'm thinking of just doing the same rather than getting the front drilled.
How likely am i to get pulled over by the cops in LA?

i have not had a front plate on any of my IS's since i got my first one in 2006. i never have been pulled over and I live in Los Angeles too. In the San Fernando Valley to be exact. I would not want them to drill that plate into my Fsport. I am leaving my plate off and if i am forced to put it on after being pulled over then I will put that Grimmspeed thing on my car.

A front plate ruins the look of the IS sport grill
Old 01-02-14, 01:53 PM
jjmaxx81
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, that's what i'm leaning towards.
My sis in-law told me she got pulled over at LAX
but she was driving an old beat up civic with no front plate and just got a warning.
Old 01-02-14, 01:59 PM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by dstopsie
i have not had a front plate on any of my IS's since i got my first one in 2006. i never have been pulled over and I live in Los Angeles too. In the San Fernando Valley to be exact. I would not want them to drill that plate into my Fsport. I am leaving my plate off and if i am forced to put it on after being pulled over then I will put that Grimmspeed thing on my car.

A front plate ruins the look of the IS sport grill
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one holding off on the license plate!
Old 01-02-14, 03:26 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iPinky
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one holding off on the license plate!
Not only do i not have a from plate on my car, i don't even have my plate on the rear. I always like a year from when i get my car, because if i put the plate on the car, its not new anymore. so it still has paper plates on it, even now 6 months after i go it.
Old 01-02-14, 06:01 PM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You folks are lucky. I live in VA and drive about 60 miles r/t daily for work in DC. Cops here don't ever play games or give you breaks, so it's too much of a risk for me while being on the road for that long. Hell I prob can't even drive around the corner to 7/11 without seeing at least two cops. Gotta run with plates here.
Old 01-02-14, 07:34 PM
cpham4
Driver School Candidate

I live in LA and have both my plates on.

You don't need to go to a dealer....Did you even check the grill? The front grill already has a section where you can drill. Its right in the center and has no effect on the air flow as the middle section is closed off, unlike the top or bottom of the grill.

Not like you guys, I couldn't wait to put on my plates. I like to fit in with other cars and not stand out by having no plates and your dealership name in the back of the car.
Old 01-02-14, 11:10 PM
jjmaxx81
Driver School Candidate

Did you use a special plate holder?
That's the only reason why I'd go back to the dealer so that I don't have to buy one.
Old 01-03-14, 12:02 AM
Oxytocin
Driver

Originally Posted by cpham4
Not like you guys, I couldn't wait to put on my plates. I like to fit in with other cars and not stand out by having no plates and your dealership name in the back of the car.
I feel the same, I think it's tacky to drive with the dealer plate on for longer than necessary. I put my plates on as soon as I got them. Your cars not 'new' anymore people are getting cars everyday and as each day passes yours is getting less new. I feel people are trying to retain something lost.
Old 01-03-14, 07:08 AM
cpham4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjmaxx81
Did you use a special plate holder?
That's the only reason why I'd go back to the dealer so that I don't have to buy one.
My trunk had the front plate holder. You'll need that to get it on.
Old 01-03-14, 08:38 AM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Kali and put on my front plates just last night. It may detract from the look of the car (I don't think it ruins the look.) but you are not looking at it while driving. And if it's for other people, I don't think anyone cares. I have seen exotics with front plates qnd never have I thought 'darn they ruined the look of the car with the front plates' before my eyegasm goes away. Anyways why give the police an excuse to pull you over? My time is better spent getting to where I am going. I have a neighbor with no plates on his 2010 Mustang. Never put them on. He must think it's new but who is he trying to fool. Even if he tried to keep it looking new, it is still old looking. Probably the type who gets face lifts. Come on, people should grow old gracefully. Sorry went on a tangent.
Old 01-03-14, 12:04 PM
iPinky
Driver

^^^ Now, that's a bit much. 4 yrs?? I wouldn't hold off putting my plates on for that long. I was only doing it for as long as I could before I decided whether to use a plate relocation kit or not.

My last car went without a license plate for a little over 6 months because they never sent me the plates.
Old 01-04-14, 04:40 PM
jjmaxx81
Driver School Candidate

No plate holder in my trunk looks like i'll have to get one from the dealership.