IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 09:55 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
My nav screen was not on when I start the car last night, it came up only when the backup camera is off; maybe I should try replacing it too
To be clear, this is now a known issue for Lexus (per my dealer). What is not known is whether or not replacing the radio will cure the problem. Unless the problems you have become intolerable, my counsel would be to wait and see what happens to me and other who have replaced their radios.
Old 12-29-13, 02:23 AM
morton87
Rookie

I picked up my IS 350 F Sport about a week ago and i ran into the random blue screen flashes as well but only at night. Also twice the nav system appeared to reboot as everything went black then the screen showed the startup warning and recovered back to where i had it. Took it into my local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong nor missing updates. They also said its the first they had seen or heard of the issue at least in Arizona. So they did what they call a "hard reset" and the system has been fine so far. However, i haven't drive much more than say 40 miles since that reset, where as before the issues happen over a 1500 miles stretch as i picked up the car from another state and drive in back to Arizona.

So as i continue to monitor it for anymore issues ill let you guys know if i see again or if appears to be gone for good. Interesting to see that some dealers are swapping out the radio and others are not. For those of you that have had the issues and the dealer swapped your radio. Was the problem reproducible on the spot and or for the dealer? In my case the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem even after tricking the car into thinking it was at to see that was part of the requirements to trigger it.
Old 12-29-13, 03:33 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by morton87
I picked up my IS 350 F Sport about a week ago and i ran into the random blue screen flashes as well but only at night. Also twice the nav system appeared to reboot as everything went black then the screen showed the startup warning and recovered back to where i had it. Took it into my local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong nor missing updates. They also said its the first they had seen or heard of the issue at least in Arizona. So they did what they call a "hard reset" and the system has been fine so far. However, i haven't drive much more than say 40 miles since that reset, where as before the issues happen over a 1500 miles stretch as i picked up the car from another state and drive in back to Arizona.

So as i continue to monitor it for anymore issues ill let you guys know if i see again or if appears to be gone for good. Interesting to see that some dealers are swapping out the radio and others are not. For those of you that have had the issues and the dealer swapped your radio. Was the problem reproducible on the spot and or for the dealer? In my case the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem even after tricking the car into thinking it was at to see that was part of the requirements to trigger it.
Prior to my radio being swapped, I could not reproduce the problems I was having on the spot--the reboots were random. My dealer was aware of the problem before I brought my car to them, so I wasn't faced with the issue of having to convince anyone. I've had my car back from the dealer for a week and all is well so far.
Old 12-29-13, 08:31 AM
iPinky
Driver

Originally Posted by morton87
Upon starting my car last night, my car's nav rebooted for the first time. Screen was black and it took a good 7 seconds before it's normal screen initiation popped up. Reboot was confirmed when I went to my audio menu and the icons were rearranged back to default. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this won't start a series of reboots.
Old 12-29-13, 08:45 AM
McBrain
Driver

I had mine replaced recently. Mine died completely within a week of ownership. So far, no major issues (just the regular BT hiccups). I use my system under full load when driving (Nav is on - seems to always default there and I can't be bothered changing the default), streaming BT audio etc. We'll see if it holds up, *but* at least its working after being replaced.
Old 12-30-13, 05:05 AM
blubyu305
Driver School Candidate

After a radio swap and several hard resets the new radio is still having the problem. My dealer is very helpful and are waiting for another part to come in from the manufacture.

Crossing my fingers that it resolves the problem but will post an update after the part comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 12-30-13, 08:04 AM
Motivated1
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

So I have had the same issue as most of you on here. I have taken my IS250 F to the dealership for the navigation glitch and they installed the new software but the glitching continued. I made an appointment to have the car checked again and the dealership ended up replacing the radio/Nav unit with a new one. After a week of driving the car the glitching came back. I am now bringing the car back to the dealership for the third time to resolve the problem.

There was another member on this forum that mentioned something a bout a Lemon....would this be considered a lemon if the problem is not resolved??

thank you guys,
Old 12-30-13, 12:59 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motivated1
Hey guys,

So I have had the same issue as most of you on here. I have taken my IS250 F to the dealership for the navigation glitch and they installed the new software but the glitching continued. I made an appointment to have the car checked again and the dealership ended up replacing the radio/Nav unit with a new one. After a week of driving the car the glitching came back. I am now bringing the car back to the dealership for the third time to resolve the problem.

There was another member on this forum that mentioned something a bout a Lemon....would this be considered a lemon if the problem is not resolved??

thank you guys,
I'm not familiar with lemon laws, but it's hard to believe that a failed component that has nothing to do with the way the car operates would constitute a reason for Lexus to buy back the car. That said, I'm on my second radio and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop after reading the posts in this thread. Drove my car 4 hours yesterday and the radio/nav worked fine. It's clear though, that Lexus doesn't have this figured out and I'll be incredibly frustrated if I have to take the car back to the dealer for a third time.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 12-30-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 05:32 PM
McBrain
Driver

I don't see why the entire navigation/infotainment unit would not be a candidate for a lemon buyback. Its a major feature of the car that we all paid $1000's for. If mine had to be replaced 3 times, I'd lemon the car for sure. These are supposed to be premium cars.
Old 12-30-13, 06:26 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by McBrain
I don't see why the entire navigation/infotainment unit would not be a candidate for a lemon buyback. Its a major feature of the car that we all paid $1000's for. If mine had to be replaced 3 times, I'd lemon the car for sure. These are supposed to be premium cars.
We'll find out soon enough. I have a feeling that someone will put this to the test in the near future.
Old 12-31-13, 04:45 AM
Motivated1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by McBrain
I agree with you...That being said, I have an appointment with the dealership to service my radio/nav once again for the same issue. My question to those that have ever bought a lemon, How should I address this with the dealership? What should I be expecting?

The reason I ask is because this will be my third time bringing in the IS250 F in for the same radio/Nav issue. I try not to lose faith in my dealership but this is the third time in less that two months that I have had to bring in the car...
Old 12-31-13, 12:07 PM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motivated1
I agree with you...That being said, I have an appointment with the dealership to service my radio/nav once again for the same issue. My question to those that have ever bought a lemon, How should I address this with the dealership? What should I be expecting?

The reason I ask is because this will be my third time bringing in the IS250 F in for the same radio/Nav issue. I try not to lose faith in my dealership but this is the third time in less that two months that I have had to bring in the car...
I have gone through lemon process. It was Audi though, not Lexus but I believe conceptually the approach is same. Do maintain all the records i.e. repair orders, maintenance and any problems that you communicated to your dealer. After three or four unsuccessful repair attempts (depending on the state you live in) you are entitled to get your vehicle replaced or have a manufacturer buy back the car. The best thing at this stage is to call Lexus corporate and tell them to replace it or give your money back. Send them all the records and insist on an expedited review process. I am pretty sure Lexus will take it very seriously as this company is well known for its quality and reliability, which they would not like see being damaged. If that does not work, I would not go to arbitration but directly to an attorney. Attorneys take cases based on contingent fee i.e. no win no money taken and they only charge a manufacturer. Good luck!

PS: when dealing with a lemon, the dealer is usually out of picture. It is a direct-consumer-to-manufacturer type of business.

Last edited by salvadorik; 12-31-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 07:01 AM
Base9se
Rookie

Well, my ML rebooted itself 4 times back to back last night. I downloaded the latest firmware almost 2 weeks ago so this is still an ongoing issue I would think for most of us. I'll keep monitoring this and bring it up to my dealer if this begins to happen more often as my baby only has 700 miles.
Old 01-04-14, 08:38 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have not had any reboots but i keep getting iPod error and the sound stops.
i have to reboot the system to get it working again.
Old 01-04-14, 08:56 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
i have not had any reboots but i keep getting iPod error and the sound stops.
i have to reboot the system to get it working again.
I really hope Lexus addresses this soon. This has gone on long enough.....

Quick Reply: Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing