IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 05:28 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I will say that initially I had my dedicated iPod connected to the USB at all times for the first couple of weeks and my flashes were consistent. Then, I decided to disconnect the USB and stream my phone (iPhone 5) instead and the flashes have almost completely stopped.
Old 01-10-14, 09:09 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slust
It's more like a 5s checklist - press 'Mode' button, press the Volume button to turn it Off

I do agree with you but issues always arise in new/revised model years ...to EVERY car company. I had a 2IS before this and it was solid. The only thing I took it in for outside of normal stuff (mileage checkups, tire and oil change, etc.) was one time I spilled a coke in the car and it hosed my seatbelt ...Lexus fixed it free of charge. Lexus cars deserve their reputation despite this Nav problem. Lexus treats you like a luxury car company should too. Their customer care has always been spot on.

I understand the frustration but have you seen the issues some of the competition to this car (S4, 335i, Q50, etc.) is seeing? I'll take the Nav problem over those issues ALL DAY. I'm talking 47 pages of steering issues for the S4. "Support groups" for other issues like water pump. You go to the BMW forums and the common phrase there is "You don't want to own these cars out of warranty" ...and no one argues. You'll see them arguing over petty stuff but no one argues about that statement because half the people there are experiencing problems. The Q50 is also going through revised model growing pains but I'm sure they'd take our nav issue over the steering issues ...especially since there are multiple threads stating how the car hates cold weather. Should be noted they are also experiencing Nav issues. ATS owners are also experiencing radio and steering issues.

The way I see it, no matter what car you pick you're gonna get a good car. I think it's unreasonable to think any of them will be bullet proof though, especially on new/revised model years. Every car has dirty laundry. If reliability is important to you and it sounds like it is than I truly believe Lexus is a solid choice. The ONLY reason I'm not still driving my 2IS to this day is because some punk kid took it out.

PS: Microsoft was NEVER known to be a problem free company so comparing Lexus to Microsoft is dubious at best.
Ok Slust, you've talked me off the ledge. The '13 Accord (new model) needed a firmware fix for nav problems. The Q50 forums are full of complaints about their nav systems. My '13 Mustang only recognizes my ipod 50% of the time. And so it goes... The car drives great, and Lexus will eventually figure this out (soon, I hope).

I contacted my dealer today. They have frequent tech-related conference calls where they'll discuss my reset problem. So far, my dealer has replaced two radios in 3IS cars: one successfully (so far), and the other was mine. It appears that Lexus corporate is at least aware of the issue. Whether or not the issue has attained sufficient momentum to precipitate a rapid fix is an open question.

Last edited by UncleSpud; 01-10-14 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-12-14, 11:12 AM
iPinky
Driver

This is getting more and more frustrating. Like everyone, I don't expect this to happen. To come from a 2IS navigation system that had no flaws to this is unnerving! My nav has rebooted twice within the last 3 days. Pandora was streaming through BT both times, as well as navigation directions were on. The only good thing is that it doesn't disrupt the navigation. It continues with navigating in the background while the initial warning about driving safely comes on. It's the audio reconnecting and the weather updating that takes time to come on again. Like, I literally have to sit there in silence for about 5 minutes before it starts working again.
Old 01-14-14, 08:09 AM
Motivated1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by waxy
What part of CA are you located?

I had this problem but it stopped after an update flash.
Still getting the dreaded "iPod" error."
Regardless, the problem is still affecting my vehicle and I'm very unhappy.
Paid several thousands of dollars, and they can't even get the radio working correctly.

I've brought my vehicle back at least 4 times, I lost count after so many returns.
I informed them of the Nav issue I was having and the ipod error disrupting me when syncing.
They checked it and told me, "Sir you have too many components connected to the USB device and it's obvious that's the problem. We removed everything and tested with our iPod everything works perfectly fine."

I do have a USB switch connected to one of the USB ports, and a USB drive in one.
I am confident this isn't the problem because I tested this with and without the USB hub and the problem still exists. I gave up on arguing with them, but will return once I see a fix for it.

What we can all do is request to open a case. From what my adviser said, the more cases that are open the more pull we'll have, to get Lexus's attention and possibly account for a recall.

Day one I was very happy with the car, but after several months of usage, multiple returns to the service department I'm not pleased at all.

My car is still in the shop as we speak, they're currently fixing a window issue and I brought the Nav to their attention. We'll see how they address this.
Hi, I'm from Victorville area and i purchased my car from Crown Lexus in Riverside. I continue to have the NAV issue. The dealership has replaced the radio two times, the actual NAV once and that is after rebooting the system multiple time to try and solve the problem. I finally picked up my car last week after leaving at the dealership over the weekend. My wife had to take the car back to the dealership because she noticed a large scratch mark on the NAV screen. Riverside is about an hour away from where I live and having to drive it up and down so many times is really frustrating.

Just yesterday while I was driving the NAV began to reboot as I was driving.. and once again I called the Lexus dealership. The problem has gone up to the service manager and now its being escalated to Lexus Corp. I am now driving my BMW and have the Lexus parked away in the garage...

Now I'm just waiting until my dealership gets a hold of Lexus Corp.
Old 01-14-14, 11:01 AM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

What we can all do is request to open a case. From what my adviser said, the more cases that are open the more pull we'll have, to get Lexus's attention and possibly account for a recall.
Waxy, what is the procedure for "opening a case"? With whom? Is this something different than reporting the problem to the dealer?

Last edited by UncleSpud; 01-14-14 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 10:26 AM
blubyu305
Driver School Candidate

As of most recently my dealer swapped out the SD card that contains the maps. I was also informed that they will be downloading and sending some sort if recording to corporate for review to see if they are able determine the cause. (We will see how that goes)

So far it's been just over a two weeks. The nav has not rebooted yet but The screen still flashes blue or white. My longest drive in the two week timeframe has been aprox 30 minutes. I plan to take a long drive in the next few weeks to see if the rebooting has been resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-15-14, 11:24 AM
morton87
Rookie

Originally Posted by blubyu305
As of most recently my dealer swapped out the SD card that contains the maps. I was also informed that they will be downloading and sending some sort if recording to corporate for review to see if they are able determine the cause. (We will see how that goes)

So far it's been just over a two weeks. The nav has not rebooted yet but The screen still flashes blue or white. My longest drive in the two week timeframe has been aprox 30 minutes. I plan to take a long drive in the next few weeks to see if the rebooting has been resolved.

Pretty much the same response i got from my local dealer recently.

As i mentioned previously, after taking my car in for a second regarding reboots and blue screen flashes they had me run around town for a few days without my phone paired to BT or connected to USB. I did that but still got blue screen flashes within 24 hours. Also like what they told you. They have collected information from the car plus how typically have things setup when driving and my phone specs which they were going to send off to Lexus to review and ask for guidance on what else can be done to further troubleshoot the issue.

I really wish there was a better way to talk to that upper tier of support on this. I am vary technical person and for the most part willing to throw a bunch of time at this as long as the troubleshooting requests are logical and realistic. Also a bit surprised this isn't triggering an event or log note inside the car's computer specifically for the reboots, or maybe it is but they just aren't saying
Old 01-15-14, 11:33 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iPinky
This is getting more and more frustrating. Like everyone, I don't expect this to happen. To come from a 2IS navigation system that had no flaws to this is unnerving! My nav has rebooted twice within the last 3 days. Pandora was streaming through BT both times, as well as navigation directions were on. The only good thing is that it doesn't disrupt the navigation. It continues with navigating in the background while the initial warning about driving safely comes on. It's the audio reconnecting and the weather updating that takes time to come on again. Like, I literally have to sit there in silence for about 5 minutes before it starts working again.
LOL Funny thing was when you said when you first received your car, that no issues were noticeable.
Now it's the Nav issue that everyone is experiencing boo.

Originally Posted by Motivated1
Hi, I'm from Victorville area and i purchased my car from Crown Lexus in Riverside. I continue to have the NAV issue. The dealership has replaced the radio two times, the actual NAV once and that is after rebooting the system multiple time to try and solve the problem. I finally picked up my car last week after leaving at the dealership over the weekend. My wife had to take the car back to the dealership because she noticed a large scratch mark on the NAV screen. Riverside is about an hour away from where I live and having to drive it up and down so many times is really frustrating.

Just yesterday while I was driving the NAV began to reboot as I was driving.. and once again I called the Lexus dealership. The problem has gone up to the service manager and now its being escalated to Lexus Corp. I am now driving my BMW and have the Lexus parked away in the garage...

Now I'm just waiting until my dealership gets a hold of Lexus Corp.
Switching the Nav, while having the same firmware flashed for to components will change nothing.
What they need to do is fix/debug the issue in the OS itself.
I do not see this being a hardware issue, to say the least.

I currently have their loaner IS250 right now and the nav shuts down so often that it's scary.
You honestly have no idea if the car is running or not, fearing there could be other electrical component issues.

Also, I need to note that, after coming back from CES in Vegas from 5 days, my car's battery was completely dead.
No light was left on, no door was left open, nothing. I'm very OCD so rest assured everything went through a 90 point checklist before I left for the trip.
Most importantly, no key was within vicinity of the vehicle. My keys were locked inside our key locker inside the house.

Had to ask a neighbor to jump the car, and it started working again, everything was reset though. Luckily it's just a loaner car.

I'm convinced there are other issues that this vehicle has, 1/100 for battery, 90/100 for the Nav, 1/100 car window, etc.

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
Waxy, what is the procedure for "opening a case"? With whom? Is this something different than reporting the problem to the dealer?
Once you have an appointment with your Adviser; let them know you want to open a case for the Nav issue, because it seems like no matter how many times you bring your car back or how many times they try, they're unable to fix your car and you demand this to be fixed.

They'll open that case for you the same day, provide you a case number and who you can get a hold of should you need additional assistance.
The more cases we open the better, as this is the only way for us as consumers to get Lexus's attention.

This would more than likely lead to a recall, forcing Lexus to conjure up a new Firmware/OS, Reinstall new components and flash all the Navigation consoles they can. Otherwise the more vehicles they sell, the more of a hassle they'll have to deal with.
I for one, am not happy with this Nav issue at all.

Last edited by waxy; 01-15-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 11:42 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by morton87
Pretty much the same response i got from my local dealer recently.

As i mentioned previously, after taking my car in for a second regarding reboots and blue screen flashes they had me run around town for a few days without my phone paired to BT or connected to USB. I did that but still got blue screen flashes within 24 hours. Also like what they told you. They have collected information from the car plus how typically have things setup when driving and my phone specs which they were going to send off to Lexus to review and ask for guidance on what else can be done to further troubleshoot the issue.

I really wish there was a better way to talk to that upper tier of support on this. I am vary technical person and for the most part willing to throw a bunch of time at this as long as the troubleshooting requests are logical and realistic. Also a bit surprised this isn't triggering an event or log note inside the car's computer specifically for the reboots, or maybe it is but they just aren't saying
+1

If I knew how to look at their event logs I'd like to read the dmp files and decipher the crash codes to conclude the main problem. It's a possibility the source may have encountered a redundancy, causing it to check for sources in an infinite loop. Won't know for sure unless we can read the crash codes.

The vehicle's OS is utilizing Unix as I was told by someone here I cannot remember and Shell/BASH isn't difficult to program, provided you have some type of programming experience
Old 01-15-14, 12:06 PM
blubyu305
Driver School Candidate

Shell/BASH isn't difficult to program, provided you have some type of programming experience
That is true shell scripting is pretty easy. Between all of us techies we should be able to figure out the problem.

With the BMW platform it's a bit easier to access the computer by using a OBDII to USB cable and NCS Expert software but I haven't had time to try this on my car yet.

Old 01-15-14, 05:18 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up my 3IS about a week ago and I don't have this issue (uhmmm, knock on wood but I haven't even preset my stations yet. LOL!) but lack of resolution from Lexus is really bothering me. I really hope some of you guys lemon your car to let Lexus know this is serious and important to you!

And I wouldn't accept it's because it's first year design argument because if every first year Lexus design had these type of issues I don't think Lexus would be known for reliability which by the way helps them sell all their cars.

Just out of curiosity does everyone who are running into this issue have ML with their Nav? Do you have anything plugged in to your USB? Are you doing any particular thing when it happens?
Old 01-15-14, 05:21 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
I picked up my 3IS about a week ago and I don't have this issue (uhmmm, knock on wood but I haven't even preset my stations yet. LOL!) but lack of resolution from Lexus is really bothering me. I really hope some of you guys lemon your car to let Lexus know this is serious and important to you!

And I wouldn't accept it's because it's first year design argument because if every first year Lexus design had these type of issues I don't think Lexus would be known for reliability which by the way helps them sell all their cars.

Just out of curiosity does everyone who are running into this issue have ML with their Nav?
I've been paying attention to these posts and folks reporting problems have had regular audio as well as ML
Old 01-15-14, 06:10 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I've been paying attention to these posts and folks reporting problems have had regular audio as well as ML
Thanks CtSFox. Have you noticed anything strange? Only strange thing I've encountered was my iPhone 5 would connect to the car via Bluetooth one day so I had to power cycle my iPhone which fixed it.

Other than that everything else has been working great. Oh and HD radio sounds amazing!

Have you experienced anything out of norm?
Old 01-15-14, 06:18 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SonyHome
Thanks CtSFox. Have you noticed anything strange? Only strange thing I've encountered was my iPhone 5 would connect to the car via Bluetooth one day so I had to power cycle my iPhone which fixed it.

Other than that everything else has been working great. Oh and HD radio sounds amazing!

Have you experienced anything out of norm?
I have had the following happen shortly after startup twice: Music via iPod interrupted, goes to caution screen, back to home screen and music playing from where it left off after 5-10 seconds. I have had no problems since I have my audio set to start off from FM radio, then turn on my iPod, turning back to FM before shut down. The "solution" may be just superstitious behavior, who knows?
Old 01-15-14, 06:28 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CtSFox
I have had the following happen shortly after startup twice: Music via iPod interrupted, goes to caution screen, back to home screen and music playing from where it left off after 5-10 seconds. I have had no problems since I have my audio set to start off from FM radio, then turn on my iPod, turning back to FM before shut down. The "solution" may be just superstitious behavior, who knows?
If it works for others they should use it as work around until Lexus get this sorted out, hopefully soon! I've only been using my HD FM so far and as stated no issues at all but I'll be trying out Enform and streaming music from my iPhone soon.

Quick Reply: Radio Swap due to Nav Screen Flashing