IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off

Old 12-10-13, 03:38 PM
McBrain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off

The car is about a week old. Today, the NAV system (ML version), re-started a few times and then shut completely off. Re-starting the car does not help. Got a totally "off" screen and no sound. Has anyone seen this with the 2014 350?

Is there some way to reset it or turn it back on? I can't imagine that a brand new Lexus would have this sort of issue.
Old 12-10-13, 03:42 PM
redcupr
Driver

This is the only issue I have with the car, they've been working on a fix since August for me. They're replacing the radio next. We are not alone.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-resolved.html

You can reset the radio by holding down the on/off/volume **** for three seconds. Try that and see if it will burp the system.
Old 12-10-13, 03:55 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

the software on the Navi really sucks... so many issues. There are so many bugs I can write up for them - did no one QA this when it released?

1. While listening to pandora / iPod over BT and phone call occurs, phone loses connection afterwards with "iPod error" or "iPod connection error"
2. Sometimes BT streaming stops and must click on Play again to resume
3. Sometimes volume/sound is lower than it was upon return after listening to audio and phone call happens and ends
4. Enform apps - not intuitive. How do i select Pandora from the Enform app and have them interface with my pandora on the phone? Typically i just run pandora on my phone and play via phone. Not sure how to have Pandora enform app run and see my pandora stations that are on my phone...
Old 12-10-13, 03:57 PM
McBrain
Driver

Thanks for the link. Of course when I call the service dept they act like they've never heard of anything like it. Not really looking forward to leaving my brand new car with them. I hope they don't start tearing into the dash. This is pretty disappointing. Never had an issue with a car so quickly. Not a good start for a first time Lexus buyer.
Old 12-10-13, 04:00 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

Well i wouldn't blame this on Lexus per se, but more on Denso the company who does the Nav software/hardware (i think). That is my only gripe for the car.. hopefully can be fixed with a SW update in the future.
Old 12-10-13, 05:00 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by alexlude
Well i wouldn't blame this on Lexus per se, but more on Denso the company who does the Nav software/hardware (i think). That is my only gripe for the car.. hopefully can be fixed with a SW update in the future.
Reading through that thread is actually really worrying. I don't even know why its marked as "fixed". It looks like people are taking FW updates and things are getting even worse. My system won't respond to the pwr/volume holding at all. Its truly kaput.

My guess is that there is a real HW issue here and it may require a re-spin of a processor chip to resolve. I work in semiconductors and I know that automotive silicon takes a long time to rev due to the qual cycles.

It does not make sense to defend Lexus. Given how prevalent this issue is, they should have caught this and from what I can see in that thread, they're giving people the runaround. If this can't be fixed, I'm going to go through the lemon law process. This car cost me way to much money to find this sort of thing acceptable.
Old 12-10-13, 05:15 PM
splat0023
Rookie

Yeah i got the update a couple weeks ago and now mine is rebooting automatically and it never did that before . My car is getting dropped off tomorrow morning so lets see if my dealer is capable of figuring it out .
Old 12-10-13, 05:21 PM
McBrain
Driver

I wouldn't get my hopes up. We had an issue with my wife's Highlander. The unit would crackle/pop even when off when the weather got hot. They must have replaced the unit 4 times. Finally (after almost 3 years - right before the warranty expired), they fessed up that there was an actual defect (board would warp from heat) and replaced with a working unit. I think with items that are not mechanical/safety, they just deny the problem.
Its maddening to get a brand new car and have to keep bringing it back for the same problem. On the highlander the issue was that it only showed up in the summer so we only had a few goes a year to get it fixed. For busy folks with demanding jobs and kids, you let things go and that is what they depend on - they just hope you go away and stop complaining. Don't let 'em off the hook. I live 5 minutes away from my Lexus dealer, so persistence won't be an issue. Having said that, one of the biggest reasons I chose Lexus was to not have to worry about my car!
Let us know how things go for you and I'll do likewise.
Old 12-10-13, 06:22 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus master tech here,

This is a known issue. First step is to update to the most current software. If this doesn't fix it, then we would replace the unit. There has been 2 nav updates released since this car came out.
Old 12-10-13, 07:06 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus master tech here,

This is a known issue. First step is to update to the most current software. If this doesn't fix it, then we would replace the unit. There has been 2 nav updates released since this car came out.
I appreciate you stepping in and commenting (and caring enough). I know this is beyond what the technicians and dealers can actually effect, so nothing personal here at all. A completely dead Nav unit is a pretty major problem (especially within the first week of ownership) - its totally unacceptable. I'd rather it be that there is a "known fix" as opposed to just a known issue followed by what appears to be a throw some stuff at the wall and see what sticks approach. If this were any other product (e.g. a smartphone or laptop), I'd be returning it for a refund right now. I would if I could, but Lexus has already cashed my check.
Old 12-10-13, 07:11 PM
jdm_altzza
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here we go again Lexus .....
Old 12-10-13, 07:27 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 100% with you on this, McBrian.

Must be fixed, and the sooner, the better.
Old 12-10-13, 07:45 PM
hushero
Driver School Candidate

Wow I am really shocked about this issue. Is there a way to diagnose or discover this issue before I accept my new car from the dealer?
Old 12-10-13, 08:00 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotADood
Lexus master tech here,

According to my Lexus dealer, it was the update that killed the radio (I had no problems other than nav slowness prior to the software "fix"). On Saturday, I'm to lose my car for a week while Lexus gets the replacement parts. Saturday will be trip #3 to Lexus to address to address the issue. My dealer is 93 miles from my home. I bought my Lexus in part b/c of its reputation for reliability.

I'm beginning to wonder if Lexus is like Microsoft (i.e., doing their beta testing on paying customers). Sorry, but saying the problem is the result of a bad supplier doesn't cut it. Do you take the car to a supplier when there's a problem or to the dealer who sold you the car?

Last edited by UncleSpud; 12-10-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:11 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by hushero
Wow I am really shocked about this issue. Is there a way to diagnose or discover this issue before I accept my new car from the dealer?
Its more shocking once you've paid up for the car. I doubt there is a way to pre-diagnose. You can always ask, but reading the various posts, one gets a picture that there is no actual fix at this time which smells like a HW (probably silicon) bug. You're a smart man, because you're reading these forums before you buy the car. I wasn't actually planning to buy a Lexus - it was all by chance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 IS350 : Navigation screen re-starts then shuts off