IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 07:33 AM
mazman042
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first and last ford 1.5 yrs ago, reason being the resale value is horrendous. They overprice the cars so much and give gigantic rebates that the only people who win are new buyers.
Old 12-11-13, 08:06 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My point was that the discussion was whether or not the new Mustang would steal buyers from the 3IS...and by extension the RC. Since you aren't a 3IS or RC buyer, thats not really the topic of the thread. The question is what effect if any the Mustang will have on 3IS buyers. If you had a 3IS and you were in here saying "man, if that mustang were out I'd have gotten that" or if you were shopping for a 3IS and came in and said "I'm going to wait to drive that Mustang before I buy" that would be a different story.
This makes it sound as if I should have already been a 3IS owner (what, no 1IS or 2IS?) before participating. Since the RC isn't out yet there are currently ONLY potential buyers. My understanding was that the OP's thread was talking about interest in the RC being swayed by the new Mustang. That's why I responded.

Because I don't want to be shifting gears while I'm trying to talk on the phone with my clients, jotting notes, etc. Why are you trying to convince me to like a manual? I don't want a manual, I never will. Bottom line. I was simply giving you my reasons.
I HAVEN'T BEEN trying to convince you to like a manual! How you took my comments to mean that is something I cannot fathom. I was similarly giving you my own reasons why I do use one despite heavy traffic and that's all. I can and do jot down notes for my contracts with a pen and pad while working mobile too (but not while driving at speed obviously-- which has nothing to do with the choice of transmission). I've been taking extra care each time the specific point came up to mention how I don't have a problem with your personal preference for automatics and your dislike of manuals. I haven't been trying to convince you to buy a car so equipped.

The BMW 5 series is offered in a manual, the GS' direct competition. Why the GS shouldn't have a manual by your logic but the RC should doesn't make any sense. Same platform, same power train...
Yes they do offer a manual in the 5 Series. It's a bit of a last minute feature for the USA only and it isn't as coordinated as the one found in the 3-series but they offer one.

I've been in a new GS recently and the layout and general feel of the car doesn't strike me as being the similar to kind of car that an IS/IS-F is or that an RC would be. It may be the same power train and the same platform (albeit lengthened) but it's a big car. Traditionally no GS was offered with a manual and the same went for the Japanese Aristo version. I've met people who have installed Supra Getrag V160 6-speeds into their early GS sedans and while that's very interesting from the standpoint of hotrodding... I never understood the reasoning with the GS chassis.

But you don't really. You have an old Lexus that you have modified to fit your needs. Lexus doesn't offer anything that fits these needs.
Really? I don't? Last time I checked I had a Lexus chassis, Lexus badges and even a Lexus VIN that indicates the factory manual transmission option. The rest of my modifications are under the chassis and hood and 95% of them came directly from the Toyota/Lexus parts bin. The car doesn't even have aftermarket wheels. I don't understand your reasoning there either. If I were to buy an RC I'd start going through what I felt that car needed changed as well and act accordingly. I've yet to own a car that I haven't modified mechanically in some way.

How modifying one's car invalidates that they legitimately own that vehicle with the manufacturer's badge is beyond me. In my case all I have done is add a few features that were available on the nearly identical Japanese-market version but were stripped out of the US version.

Right now Lexus doesn't sell something that fits my needs but they did when this car and the first and second IS were in production.

Then how can you say you like the Lexus brand? In order to like a brand you have to like and appreciate the products they produce...you like what you think the Lexus brand should be...not what it is.
I'm sorry the concept is lost on you but I do like and appreciate Lexus cars like the LS460, older SC, IS lineup, RC, GS and the rare LFA despite not actually wishing to buy most of those. The last one I'm in no position to afford or obtain but I can appreciate it and I don't even fault it for not having a three-pedal manual as the car's intention was to emulate F1 racing technology. F1 competitors haven't used traditional manuals since the early 80's. As I have mentioned, Lexus cars have been in my family for years and I like their style a lot. I prefer two-door models and happened upon one that, while older, fit my style. I have a lot of ideas about what many cars should be but Lexus as a company has a style all their own down to their marketing-- and I also personally know people who DO work for their advertising division.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

My point is that every brand has a target demographic. Not every brand is going to appeal to every customer. If you're looking for a luxury coupe I would suggest a 4 Series with a mechanical LSD, inline 6 engine, fully manual gearbox. They are not targeting you as a consumer.
Well, that is a possibility as with anything else that is very similar in the market. More likely than that is the 235i 6-speed with the same options as I think that it's closer to what a 3-series used to be in size. No, Lexus is not targeting me despite what I see as a very beautiful RWD coupe in the RC. I can still appreciate that they will have a very special car on their hands even if ultimately it's lacking in options that would make me seriously consider one.
Old 12-11-13, 08:16 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

All right, I'm leaving this thread. While SW13GS and I have had a lovely discussion it's not contributing anything new to the main topic at this point and that's what I had hoped to do in the first place. I've said my piece about the RC and I really do think it's going to be an awesome car despite my personal reservations about the lack of transmission choice.
Old 12-23-14, 07:02 AM
3ivato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Free World. ..2 each is own...Had Lexus since 08 with 2 Gen Is and now 3 Gen Is..I stay Loyal to a Grt8 Product that treats me well..Do ur Research first. .Good luck..
Old 12-23-14, 07:31 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I couldn't disagree more. Ford is far and away the best American car company in my opinion. I had a ford expedition lemon years ago but things have changed a lot since then. That coyote engine in the GT kicks ***. Having said that we are talking apples and oranges trying to compare any American car company to Lexus.
+1 this hatred toward the american car companies is just as stupid as the rednecks hating on the JDM cars..because they are japanese.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that ford is the best. The coyote engine is a great engine, however, I've been able to put them in my rear view mirror quite quickly with my 5th gen.

Also, this is a dumb comparison overall. The mustang is a budget built pony car, in which a V8 can be had for 35k. So, for $40k (with options), they have 420hp, 400ft-lbs of torque, You have 3/4 of that in your IS350 for MORE money. However, in interior quality is not there, and the other luxuries are not there in the Mustang. Why? Because its a budget pony car, NOT a luxury car.

Thus, performance wise, this a joke comparison. (In favor of mustang) Interior wise, this is a joke comparison (in favor of Lexus).

its a true apples to oranges comparison. People who want luxury with some power will go to the Lexus, and those who want the performance edge will go for the Mustang. Also keep in mind that you are at two different buyer demographics. No one will cross shop a mustang and an IS. Perhaps the only time you'd get a cross shop is when someone is looking between a GT500 and an IS-F, but only then is price point comparable, but then you're comparing 662hp and 416hp. Still not a cross shop opportunity.
Old 12-23-14, 04:48 PM
PAPI007
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The title in general is just funny. But a quick reply answer would be NO WAY, NO HOW!
Old 12-24-14, 12:11 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

a spare '15 Mustang GT as a weekend car, sure, but to replace the Lexus, no way.
Old 12-24-14, 05:19 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

i think if any american marque were to be luring potential buyers from lexus, it would be cadillac.
Old 12-24-14, 08:32 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of you may remember the horrible cars the Big 3 produced in the 70's & 80's. It just was a terrible thing they did to Americans. They traded on the "Made in America" propaganda rather than do anything innovative. For this reason alone I can't see myself supporting an American car company ever. It was a betrayal. For those 2 young to remember -- Google "Chevrolet Cavalier" & "Cadillac Cimarron".

Last edited by Glashub; 12-24-14 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 12:39 PM
Megaman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is ridiculous.

Not once has anyone ever crossed shopped a 3IS with a muscle car at my store.

Is it impossible? No.

Is it improbable? Yes.

Someone please lock this thread.
Old 12-24-14, 05:58 PM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 263 Likes on 124 Posts

I myself am guilty of considering a new Mustang GT or an IS350 F Sport. Apples and oranges for sure, but each appeals to me on different levels.

Originally Posted by John510
Why would anyone shopping for a Sedan sell it and get a coupe Mustang? I want my click back. lol
That put a smile on my face. You'd be really amazed at how some people cross shop. I met a guy just last month that traded his 2015 Mazda CX-5 in for a 2015 Mustang Ecboost. I know someone who was cross shopping the Q50S and a Jeep Wrangler for crying out loud. I think he ended up with both though. I even talked to a friend of a friend last year who was cross shopping the; Miata, Jetta, Escape, and Camry... and asked me for my opinion. I told her I genuinely thought she was crazy.
Old 12-24-14, 09:58 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When my lease is up on my IS 350 f sport I'm getting either the Cadillac CTS-v sport or the ATS-vsport I haven't decided yet.
But I'm done with Lexus I think for a while.
Tired of the crappy nav that can't play pandora or iPod reliably, lack of anything forced induction, seat heaters that don't get warm. And a list of other annoyances.