IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 08:59 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass Mech
funny, i have a 2013 GS F sport AWD and my 2014 IS 350 F sport RWD should arrive next week!

my IS replaces a 2012 corvette Z06 (2 of them over the last 4.5 years) prior to the corvette we had a 2008 GS 350 AWD and a 2007 IS 350 RWD

so i guess you might say we have come full circle back to a pair of lexus vehicles (we traded to the2008 GS for a 2012 Acura TL and came back to lexus on that car as well)
Too Funny. I also have an AWD GS (I am in New Jersey) I had a 2009 GS prior to it and never thought I would own another soft lexus....until the new GS came out and the minute I drove it I was hooked. I actually replaced a Honda pilot with the new IS 350 RWD the deal I got is 20 bucks more then I paid for it so I couldn't say no. Even with the same engine and suspension the cars feel like completely different beasts to me and I love them both in their own ways. We should start a thread after you have sometime to enjoy your new car and discuss the similarities and differences.

Cheers, Jordan
Old 12-05-13, 09:45 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I think Ford has done some really nice stuff lately and they have improved A LOT in the last few years. The new Mustang and even the current one (GT or better of course) is a extremely nice SPORTS car (or muscle, whichever you want to call it). I drove a 2012 some time ago and it is a very good car overall, it handles pretty good, it's got power and it just feels good. Now to even compare the Mustang with a Lexus is just preposterous. They are not even close to being on the same level. One is luxury, the other one is not. The one I drove was a fully loaded top of the line GT 5.0 and even though I loved it, if I was looking for a luxury sports vehicle, I wouldn't even have the Mustang on my possibilities. The Mustang is a great car now but I don't think it is going to affect what happens with the RC350 or the BMW etc etc because they are not in the same class, so most of the people considering the Lexus or the BMW are not going to be considering the Mustang.

If the title of the thread read: "Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential Camaro buyers??" then I would say for damn sure it will.
Old 12-06-13, 05:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

these cars would not be cross shopped
Old 12-06-13, 05:36 AM
Tone2002
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous car was a Mustang and I haven't had any problems with it. In fact I still have it. I would buy a Mustang again, no hesitation. I like the 2015, but like others stated at the time I brought my Lexus I was looking moreso for luxury.
Old 12-06-13, 06:17 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ford is the only American car company I respect and root for because it didn't take bailout money -- and I'm the son of a Dad who worked for Chevy for 30 years.
Old 12-06-13, 07:26 AM
fastdak25
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the new Camaro hold up against the Mustang? I have never been that big a fan of modern American muscle (love the classics though), but between the stang, challenger and camaro I would love the Camaro the best. I have never been a fan of the mustang, and TBO I would probably take a charger SRT over the Challenger. Has anyone seen the new Camaro Z28 coming out? Probably going to be way out of my price range, but sure looks sexy as hell.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-unveiled-news

Edit: Ok just read the article and I have 1 question, first this quote from the article :

"The Mustang has a powerful V6 Engine that can develop over 300 HP as does the Lexus (314) and BMW (300). All three cars are also rear-drive and can come with paddle shifting automatic transmissions. All three can also drop in monster V8s if they so choose."

I'm assuming for BMW they're referring to an inevitable M variant of the 4 series, but where has there been any announce of a V8 option for the RC (LF-CC comes to mind but that's still just a prototype, not announced to be going into production yet like the RC, unless I missed that announcement).

Last edited by fastdak25; 12-06-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-06-13, 07:36 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I currently have a Ford and regret every single day even buying one. I will never buy a Ford again.
Old 12-06-13, 08:19 AM
bucanero
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I currently have a Ford and regret every single day even buying one. I will never buy a Ford again.
Hahaha, which model?
Old 12-06-13, 12:43 PM
stupenal
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the ford mustang interior has historically been terrible in terms of plastic quality and design. hopefully the refresh brings along not just the IRS, but also a better interior.

but if you sit in the newest ford cars, you'll notice their interior quality has actually improved a great deal. ever since the auto bail out, american car companys have really stepped up their game and have been producing some really well built cars.

and then, you look at german and japanese cars and you'll see the exact opposite. the interior quality has slowly degraded to the point you wonder when gasp, an american car interior will be considered the cream of the crop.

for example, check out the 3is vs 2is interior quality (not design):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ckwards-7.html

I sat in the 2is vert back to back with the 3is at the dealership. The 2is interior design was plain, simple, rather boring but overall the interior quality was much much much higher. Closing the doors felt solid (although who knows, maybe theres more sound deadening for convertbiles?).

The same can be said when sitting in a f30 3 series - the interior material just feels terribly cheap.
Old 12-06-13, 01:10 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Diesel350
My experience with my 2013 Mustang GT is the opposite of yours. The GT is a great car, even with its antiquated rear suspension (fixed with IRS in the 2015 model). It's my first ever American car (I've been driving since 1966), and I love it. Aside from chronic problems with Ford Sync, the car has been bullet proof. It's also a blast to drive (420 HP/390 TQ), and despite a solid rear axle, it rides as well as my Lexus. In terms of the best car I've had, it's a tie with my long gone E36 M3--it's that good. Ford's "Coyote" V8 is a terrific motor.

A luxury car it "aint." I'm not sure if anyone looking for a 3IS would cross-shop it. Having the Mustang GT and the IS 350F is a perfect combination: the Lexus for road trips and the GT for visceral driving thrills. Frankly, the Lexus feels underpowered, with performance that only ties that of an 18-year old M3. It's still slower than a 19-year old Supra. When it comes to engines,Toyota needs to step up its game.
Old 12-06-13, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleSpud
My experience with my 2013 Mustang GT is the opposite of yours. The GT is a great car, even with its antiquated rear suspension (fixed with IRS in the 2015 model). It's my first ever American car (I've been driving since 1966), and I love it. Aside from chronic problems with Ford Sync, the car has been bullet proof. It's also a blast to drive (420 HP/390 TQ), and despite a solid rear axle, it rides as well as my Lexus. In terms of the best car I've had, it's a tie with my long gone E36 M3--it's that good. Ford's "Coyote" V8 is a terrific motor.

A luxury car it "aint." I'm not sure if anyone looking for a 3IS would cross-shop it. Having the Mustang GT and the IS 350F is a perfect combination: the Lexus for road trips and the GT for visceral driving thrills. Frankly, the Lexus feels underpowered, with performance that only ties that of an 18-year old M3. It's still slower than a 19-year old Supra. When it comes to engines,Toyota needs to step up its game.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. The fact you own both adds so much more credibility than the early deconstructive posts
Old 12-06-13, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Mustang and an RX or 4 Series are just completely different segments. Buyers looking for a classy luxury coupe aren't going to be looking at a Mustang, and people looking for a fun powerful Mustang aren't going to be looking at an RC or 4 Series.
Old 12-06-13, 03:17 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

How about this?
Attached Thumbnails Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??-rallyestang2.jpg  
Old 12-06-13, 05:50 PM
McBrain
Driver

Originally Posted by stupenal
the ford mustang interior has historically been terrible in terms of plastic quality and design. hopefully the refresh brings along not just the IRS, but also a better interior.

but if you sit in the newest ford cars, you'll notice their interior quality has actually improved a great deal. ever since the auto bail out, american car companys have really stepped up their game and have been producing some really well built cars.

and then, you look at german and japanese cars and you'll see the exact opposite. the interior quality has slowly degraded to the point you wonder when gasp, an american car interior will be considered the cream of the crop.

for example, check out the 3is vs 2is interior quality (not design):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ckwards-7.html

I sat in the 2is vert back to back with the 3is at the dealership. The 2is interior design was plain, simple, rather boring but overall the interior quality was much much much higher. Closing the doors felt solid (although who knows, maybe theres more sound deadening for convertbiles?).

The same can be said when sitting in a f30 3 series - the interior material just feels terribly cheap.
Regarding the 3IS quality, did you actually read the thread fully? Look at post #19. It specifically states this is a pre-production vehicle and fit and finish is not representative. I don't have any such issues in my 3IS Fsport.
Old 12-06-13, 06:00 PM
eyeball
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by McBrain
Regarding the 3IS quality, did you actually read the thread fully? Look at post #19. It specifically states this is a pre-production vehicle and fit and finish is not representative. I don't have any such issues in my 3IS Fsport.
I can't believe that thread ended being 8-9 pages despite the proof that the photo was a preproduction variant lol

Quick Reply: Will the 2015 Mustang lure potential 3IS buyers??