IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trading the 3is for the Audi A5? thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
The smell is similar to the fumes given off by a new Tempur-Pedic mattress. The smell does go away just can't remember how long it took for that smell to go away when we got our bed. It is a sealant and protection coating they spray on it. The first couple weeks sleeping in the bed it was pretty horrible. But the support and sleep we got was the best we had in years.
I've had 5 new Lexuses and none of them smelled like coolant, or objectionable in any way. If his smells like coolant, something is wrong with it.
Old 11-10-13, 07:42 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skinnyfats
The smell is similar to the fumes given off by a new Tempur-Pedic mattress. The smell does go away just can't remember how long it took for that smell to go away when we got our bed. It is a sealant and protection coating they spray on it. The first couple weeks sleeping in the bed it was pretty horrible. But the support and sleep we got was the best we had in years.
Are you saying your car smells as well? If so, how long did it take to go away?
Old 11-10-13, 02:02 PM
UncleSpud
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Just saw an A5 roll pass by and that thing looks amazing. I've been reading a few horror stories though and not sure about the reliability of this car.

Going to set up a test drive on Monday and we'll see how it goes.
I'm sure you realize that asking this question on a Lexus forum will give you predictable answers.

That said, here's my .02: no arguments on looks. The A5 is a handsome car and I wish Lexus engineers would take note when it comes to design.

I've had two Audis--an '04 A4 3.0 six and an '06 A3 with DSG and VW's narrow angle 6, both of which saw plenty of time in the shop. Ask yourself this: would rather buy a luxury car built by Toyota or Volkswagen? Aside from the planet's worst steering on the F30, I avoided BMW for the same reason. In my past, I drove an E36 M3, which I'd be driving today, but for maintenance. As for stick vs. automatic, I'd always opt for a manual, but the 8-speed slushbox in the IS 350 rwd is a really decent automatic--almost as nice as VW/Audi's DSG. I don't know if your present ride is a 350, but if it is, you'd be sacrificing 100 HP if the A5 is using VW's 2.0 four banger.

My advice: try to fix your Lexus. In any event, good luck with your decison.
Old 11-10-13, 02:20 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 31 Posts

I've beat the **** out of my new 3IS already and it stunk for the first few hundred miles. I don't smell coolant or anything else now at 700 miles If I did, then it would be at the dealership getting inspected and/or repaired. I have had a number of friends with Audi/VW's, I'll pass. I like how they drive but I'd trust the reliability of Toyota over the VW Group any day. They are getting better though.

You're the guy who I took pictures for right of the under hood where you thought it had been wrecked? Are you just trying to find issues with the car or what? If something bothered me that much then I'd at least give them the opportunity to correct it before switching to something else. Buyers remorse is a *****.

Last edited by unixadm; 11-10-13 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 02:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Isn't the RC coming in 2015? Also, I think it's automatic only.
2015 model year is released in 2014
Old 11-10-13, 05:03 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexlude
And you never thought of taking it to the dealer to fix it before wanting to trade it in? Ohhhkayyy...
Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal or couldn't detect anything.

I was going to take it back last week but the smell was gone. Then, the next day, the stupid smell came back.

The smell seems to be coming from the outside. Smells like burnt coolant. This smell did not appear until 3 weeks after I bought it.

I drove it today and I didn't smell the coolant smell today. When I stepped on the gas, I did smell a "burning metal smell" everyone is talking about. That smell didn't bother me.

It's the lingering coolant smell that is very annoying. Can't explain it. And if the windows are down, you'll get a huge slap in the face with that smell.

---------
Break down.
First 2 weeks of ownership: All is good besides non-Fsport steering wheel. No weird smells besides new car smell.

3rd week: Burning wire smell from AC vent

4th week: coolant smell that comes and goes.
Old 11-10-13, 05:11 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

I'd almost say it is past time to take it to the dealer and park it for a week or so. Write down the mileage, so you will know it at least has been on some sort of test drive, and let them try to find all of the bug-a-boos you seem to have discovered. They may find nothing. Or they may find all of the issues. The last thing I would do would be bail on it, especially for an Audi!
Old 11-10-13, 05:25 PM
hoosier1
Driver

I've noticed a few odd smells after parking my IS in my enclosed garage, but nothing of note or usual for any new car that I've owned. There are so many new parts that are impacted by the heat generated by the engine, exhaust and other related systems.

My Audi did have a very strong coolant smell after the electronic thermostat failed and started leaking fluid. If you don't have a coolant leak, check the coolant level and temperature.

Good luck, and hopefully nothing is wrong with your new car.

I considered a new A5 Cabriolet, and it was 56 grand for a 2 liter turbo. Considering that the body style has been around since 2008, I would wait until next year when the car is due for a complete redesign.
Old 11-10-13, 05:29 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hoosier1
I've noticed a few odd smells after parking my IS in my enclosed garage, but nothing of note or usual for any new car that I've owned. There are so many new parts that are impacted by the heat generated by the engine, exhaust and other related systems.

My Audi did have a very strong coolant smell after the electronic thermostat failed and started leaking fluid. If you don't have a coolant leak, check the coolant level and temperature.

Good luck, and hopefully nothing is wrong with your new car.

I considered a new A5 Cabriolet, and it was 56 grand for a 2 liter turbo. Considering that the body style has been around since 2008, I would wait until next year when the car is due for a complete redesign.
My temp gauge is halfway. Is that normal?
Old 11-10-13, 05:41 PM
abcsoup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
My temp gauge is halfway. Is that normal?
Yes, the temp gauge should be at right around half after warming up. At least that's what mine does.