IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad Day For My Baby and I Yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-13, 12:32 PM
CLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks to be about $20K in damages, not including supplemental costs once they tear it down. The new IS has a unibody frame, it can be fixed but I wouldn't want the car back.

Did you call the cops? If not, the accident will not show up on Carfax.
Old 10-22-13, 12:35 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
I hope he called the cops since he said the guy tried to run! He'd be foolish not to. And could you imagine trying to explain and claim this to insurance WITHOUT a police report?
Old 10-22-13, 12:44 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CLA
That looks to be about $20K in damages, not including supplemental costs once they tear it down. The new IS has a unibody frame, it can be fixed but I wouldn't want the car back.

incorrect if its an insurance claim it most certainly show up on car fax, they have access to choice point and lexis nexis both report accident history with year, make model and VIN to car fax.

and for that matter who cares if it gets reported, would you want to be the guy who bought a car with 20k in damage thinking it was factory original?

this is the point of having insurance! the OP you need to also get a settlement for Diminished Value my guess is probably about 5k worth. you'll loose that easy if you resell the car to another party with damage history.
as the car gets older it's less likely anyone would care if it had previous accident history as long as the repair was a quality repair.
Old 10-22-13, 01:35 PM
alexlude
Lead Lap

call the shop or go in person and tell them your situation, if they are sympathetic, they will just total the car out.

What insurance do u have.. what an *******!!
Old 10-22-13, 01:36 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DexRox512
I like the camera idea...I'll definitely look in to this.

I agree that it will be around 20k or more with the diminished value, delays, etc. I just got off the phone with the contact for my insurance company, Mercury, and he is telling me that it is basically up to the shop to determine if the car comes back to me repaired or if the they call it a total loss. I expressed to him that I am very concerned about getting back in to a car that is basically new with repairs to that extent...he basically answered, "you dont have a choice". I told him that the most frustrating part of the repairs will be that the car is so new that parts could take weeks/months to get (according to lexus)...he said, "well we didn't tell you what kind of car to buy". Obviously the guy is really sympathetic.

Am I wrong that the shop will want to try and NOT total it out so that they get the work? I would assume that they will write the initial estimate low and obviously add little things here and there as the repairs move along. I've never had to deal with an accident of this severity...especially on something so new.

I definitely called the cops and he deemed the other driver at fault...so that step is covered.

Wow, glad I didn't go with Mercury. Instead of going through your insurance, why no go through the other party's insurance? And since the person at fault was in a company's truck, I'm guessing you can sue the company also.

Why not talk to a lawyer for a free consultation?
Old 10-22-13, 02:07 PM
CLA
Driver School Candidate

Your insurance will not total the car, because for them it might be cheaper to repair the car. Always take it to your preferred body shop, and speak with the owner. For them, having your car there parked for months take up space and they will charge you a storage fee, and your insurance might not want to cover that cost.
Old 10-22-13, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I would be shocked if that's a total...
Old 10-22-13, 08:03 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Happy to hear you are safe! At the end of the day that is all that matters!
Old 10-22-13, 08:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Best wishes on your (and baby) recovery.
Old 10-22-13, 08:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

any accident you walk away from is a good accident... glad you're ok to tell us of your plight. damn shame the **** we have to deal with on a daily basis... i.e. bad drivers, people not paying attention. a car is not a f***ing toy and people don't give a **** that other peoples lives are at stake when they do dumb ****, there could have been someone standing in front of that sign when you hit it ( not your fault ) but the dumbass who caused it and then tried to keep going... my bad, didn't mean to rant but reading this just pisses me off. anyway, glad you're ok and hope you get the car back to new, but looking at the damage, the dumbass's insurance company will be buying you a new car.
Old 10-22-13, 11:12 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vbx

But if I was in your situation, I would demand a new car (car was barely 3 weeks old) and they (the insurance company) can keep the beat up one.
Not gonna happen. Thats only around 10K in damage maybe less. They will repair it. If it was a cheaper car then yes that would be totaled/salvaged.

At least your OK. I would definately look into the airbag thing with Lexus. You may have a nice suit on your hands.
Old 10-22-13, 11:31 PM
twoytk
Driver School Candidate

"Am I wrong that the shop will want to try and NOT total it out so that they get the work? I would assume that they will write the initial estimate low and obviously add little things here and there as the repairs move along. I've never had to deal with an accident of this severity...especially on something so new."

from my past couple experience, i would say Yes, the body shop would try and Not total it out. Once my aunt has a 2011 Honda Civic, cost $11k to fix while she bought her car for $16k brand new, and the dealer told her the repair cost just missed a few % to get it to total -_-

sorry to hear what happened to your car, hope you get well soon and good luck with everything
Old 10-22-13, 11:38 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

why wouldnt a shop not want to "total it out" because if they total it out they lose business...
Old 10-23-13, 12:35 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

The 2nd Gen IS did very poor in the small overlap frontal crash test. Basically hitting something the left side of the bumper. So if you're going to hit something, make sure you're dead center.

Wonder if the 3rd Gen got better?
Old 10-23-13, 06:49 AM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DexRox512
I like the camera idea...I'll definitely look in to this.

I agree that it will be around 20k or more with the diminished value, delays, etc. I just got off the phone with the contact for my insurance company, Mercury, and he is telling me that it is basically up to the shop to determine if the car comes back to me repaired or if the they call it a total loss. I expressed to him that I am very concerned about getting back in to a car that is basically new with repairs to that extent...he basically answered, "you dont have a choice". I told him that the most frustrating part of the repairs will be that the car is so new that parts could take weeks/months to get (according to lexus)...he said, "well we didn't tell you what kind of car to buy". Obviously the guy is really sympathetic.

Am I wrong that the shop will want to try and NOT total it out so that they get the work? I would assume that they will write the initial estimate low and obviously add little things here and there as the repairs move along. I've never had to deal with an accident of this severity...especially on something so new.

I definitely called the cops and he deemed the other driver at fault...so that step is covered.
its not very likely your insurance company will be doing anything for this claim. you need to be talking to the other guys insurance. they will be calling you to get a recorded statement. be prepared ! despite the fact the other guy was at fault they ALWAYS LIE to their insurance company!
trust me i have been in this business 10 years I've seen hundreds of accidents and it is rare that anyone will actually tell the truth when they are at fault.
you will be interviewed over the phone and the call recorded from his ins company.

assuming they take 100% liability on the part of their insured they will be the one doing the adjustment and they will be the ones to deal with re diminished value and repairs.
Mercury will be of no help to you unless the other guys insurance decides not to pay based on what kind of lie the other guy tells them.
their position will be that their insured had no damage to his truck and that you simply ran into the sign! unless their insured was ticketed and the cop wrote a detailed statement along with the witness statements.
also trust me when i tell you, your going to have to fight with the other company to get the diminished value, they don't usually give it up to easy!
you may have to threaten to call the department of insurance in your state to get them to pony up the money.

if you need anything send me a PM glad to help out, often times people get screwed because they don't know how insurance works. if you do or say the wrong thing, sometimes you create more problems for yourself that you can't go back and fix later.

oh and BTW i would look for another insurance company, sounds like your agent is not only unhelpful but could really care less! i would never treat a client that way!
also if he had any brains he would have offered you an endorsement to get you a new car as i mentioned in an earlier post.
had you been insured with me, we wouldn't even be talking about fixing it at this point. they wouldn't have to total it out, we would have just replaced it no questions asked!

Quick Reply: Bad Day For My Baby and I Yesterday...