Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present)
OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads) >

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS
I always use 91 or higher.
90.32%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.21%
I always use 89.
2.02%
I always use 87.
6.45%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Old 11-24-18, 05:20 AM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lychee416 View Post
93? Not 91 high octane?
91 or higher.
Old 11-24-18, 06:40 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

It comes down to using the type of gas based on how you drive the car.
Old 11-24-18, 07:03 AM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.
Old 11-24-18, 07:14 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.
Old 11-24-18, 07:15 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.
Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.
Old 11-24-18, 07:19 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

Wasn't trying to save money, just not used to thinking about what gas to put in my car. I have been driving an 06 Camry for the past 11 years and I used regular gas.

Just got the IS about 2 weeks ago, haven't even made the first payment yet.
Old 11-24-18, 07:22 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MsDesiJo View Post
This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.
That tank of gas isn't going to bother anything, no worries. But if you want the best performance out of the car, the highest normal octane (93/94) you can get is the best. DO NOT use octane booster.
Old 11-24-18, 07:26 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

That tank of gas isn't going to bother anything, no worries. But if you want the best performance out of the car, the highest normal octane (93/94) you can get is the best. DO NOT use octane booster.
Why no to the Octane booster? Just curious.
Old 11-24-18, 07:32 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MsDesiJo View Post
Why no to the Octane booster? Just curious.
It's extremely inconsistent, and can have ill effects on the fuel system.
Old 11-24-18, 07:54 AM
MsDesiJo
Driver School Candidate

It's extremely inconsistent, and can have ill effects on the fuel system.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 11-24-18, 07:57 AM
arentz07
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 133 Posts

Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.
What you seem to be saying is that it's okay to run 87 as long as you don't "drive the car hard". This is simply not true. Having higher octane allows you to advance ignition timing at all RPMs, giving you better efficiency and more power. The IS's V6 engine has an 11.8:1 compression ratio. Do you really want to see if it can pull that off for an extended period on 87 without knock?

You should always use 91 or above unless it is not available.
Old 11-24-18, 08:01 AM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

Right but we're are on a forum, so why not put what's recommended. Better fuel economy and better performance...not really a reason to suggest using anything different.
Old 11-24-18, 08:26 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07 View Post
What you seem to be saying is that it's okay to run 87 as long as you don't "drive the car hard".
That's not what I'm saying. Read it again. The ECU will simply pull timing if the car is driven hard with 87 octane. No damage will result.

Right but we're are on a forum, so why not put what's recommended. Better fuel economy and better performance...not really a reason to suggest using anything different.
You want a suggestion to use something different? How about that it's cheaper? If you're not getting a noticeable performance improvement, why not save some money? No reason.
Old 11-24-18, 08:44 AM
Burrcold
Lead Lap

That's not what I'm saying. Read it again. The ECU will simply pull timing if the car is driven hard with 87 octane. No damage will result.

You want a suggestion to use something different? How about that it's cheaper? If you're not getting a noticeable performance improvement, why not save some money? No reason.
lol oh my. Okay you put the cheapest gas you can find in your car. I'll stick to 91+.
Old 11-24-18, 08:47 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

lol oh my. Okay you put the cheapest gas you can find in your car. I'll stick to 91+.
No sir, I use 93 in all my cars. All I'm saying is that for those that don't drive the car hard, and want to save a little money (in the long run a significant amount of money), the 87 octane will be just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: