OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads) - Page 12 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > IS Models > IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present)
OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads) >

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Notices
IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS
I always use 91 or higher.
90.91%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.24%
I always use 89.
2.07%
I always use 87.
5.79%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Old 12-07-18, 01:12 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Anyone in a 93 octane area ever mix 93 and 87? 50/50 mix would average out to 90. Higher than midgrade of 89 and 1 point lower than the requirement of 91. I've thought about doing that for long distance trips where you're mostly maintaining throttle and not much load
Old 12-07-18, 01:41 PM
sunamer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Former5SFE View Post
Anyone in a 93 octane area ever mix 93 and 87? 50/50 mix would average out to 90. Higher than midgrade of 89 and 1 point lower than the requirement of 91. I've thought about doing that for long distance trips where you're mostly maintaining throttle and not much load
you can get the same effect by getting 1 gallon of 87 for every 3 gallons of 91. Honestly, from what I have seen when driving with 87, you will be just fine in the higher gears even on straight 87, especially when you simply sit the same speed for hours. The engine noises I mentioned come on only at 3500 or higher rpms.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunamer For This Useful Post:
Former5SFE (12-10-18)
Old 12-08-18, 11:59 AM
TitanCi
Driver School Candidate

Why is this even a question? Just put what the manufacturer recommends. If people do otherwise, is it to pinch pennies? And at this coin for car, why do people even do that? It'll save a few bucks... it's like the age old oil questions on BMW forums: just use what the manufacturer recommends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: