91.20%
I sometimes use 89 or 87.
1.06%
I always use 89.
2.11%
I always use 87.
5.63%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 07:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.
What you seem to be saying is that it's okay to run 87 as long as you don't "drive the car hard". This is simply not true. Having higher octane allows you to advance ignition timing at all RPMs, giving you better efficiency and more power. The IS's V6 engine has an 11.8:1 compression ratio. Do you really want to see if it can pull that off for an extended period on 87 without knock?

You should always use 91 or above unless it is not available.
Old 11-24-18, 08:01 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.
Right but we're are on a forum, so why not put what's recommended. Better fuel economy and better performance...not really a reason to suggest using anything different.
Old 11-24-18, 08:26 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
What you seem to be saying is that it's okay to run 87 as long as you don't "drive the car hard".
That's not what I'm saying. Read it again. The ECU will simply pull timing if the car is driven hard with 87 octane. No damage will result.

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Right but we're are on a forum, so why not put what's recommended. Better fuel economy and better performance...not really a reason to suggest using anything different.
You want a suggestion to use something different? How about that it's cheaper? If you're not getting a noticeable performance improvement, why not save some money? No reason.
Old 11-24-18, 08:44 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

That's not what I'm saying. Read it again. The ECU will simply pull timing if the car is driven hard with 87 octane. No damage will result.

You want a suggestion to use something different? How about that it's cheaper? If you're not getting a noticeable performance improvement, why not save some money? No reason.
lol oh my. Okay you put the cheapest gas you can find in your car. I'll stick to 91+.
Old 11-24-18, 08:47 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

lol oh my. Okay you put the cheapest gas you can find in your car. I'll stick to 91+.
No sir, I use 93 in all my cars. All I'm saying is that for those that don't drive the car hard, and want to save a little money (in the long run a significant amount of money), the 87 octane will be just fine.
Old 11-24-18, 08:54 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

No sir, I use 93 in all my cars. All I'm saying is that for those that don't drive the car hard, and want to save a little money (in the long run a significant amount of money), the 87 octane will be just fine.
And I never said they wouldn't be fine running 87. I said if you want the performance and fuel economy that the car is supposed to give, use the manufacturers recommended 91+.
Old 11-24-18, 08:55 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

And I never said they wouldn't be fine running 87. I said if you want the performance and fuel economy that the car is supposed to give, use the manufacturers recommended 91+.
And I agree with that statement. What I don't agree with is most IS owners actually using the performance the car is supposed to give, and for those drivers 87 octane is a better choice because it saves them money.
Old 11-24-18, 01:46 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Also depends on your state what your maximum octane will be. In California we only really have 91 octane max. Really the difference only amounts to $1-$2 per tank between 89 and 91.
Old 11-24-18, 03:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

And I agree with that statement. What I don't agree with is most IS owners actually using the performance the car is supposed to give, and for those drivers 87 octane is a better choice because it saves them money.
The manual recommends use of 91 octane or higher, and it specifically says to refuel with 91 as soon as possible after using anything else. So I strongly disagree that 87 is a better choice for anyone.

Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.
This is from page 537 of the manual, which can be found here: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM53D18U.pdf

Also,
So you're saying it's fine to drive the car hard as well as not-hard on 87?
Old 11-24-18, 03:45 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
The manual recommends use of 91 octane or higher, and it specifically says to refuel with 91 as soon as possible after using anything else. So I strongly disagree that 87 is a better choice for anyone.

This is from page 537 of the manual, which can be found here: https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM53D18U.pdf
I wonder if you believe everything you hear, since you believe everything you read. Hmmm.

Look, Toyota is just doing a little CYA, the car isn't going to knock with 87 octane, it'll pull timing instead. Even if you were driving the car really hard it wouldn't knock with 87, it'd just pull more timing. Neither though, is my point. My point, is that it depends on how you drive the car if you'd even notice a difference. ** NEWS FLASH ** Not everyone that owns an IS is on this forum or drives the car hard...or would even notice a difference running the car on 87 octane. You can believe that, or not, doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by VisualEcho; 11-24-18 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 04:10 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

OK, so I can clear this up real quick now.

I have a good friend that works as a tech at a Lexus dealership in St Louis. I've asked him about the use of 87 octane, and will quote him below.

"We put regular in the cars here. I’ve never heard detonation caused by what gas is used, only be mechanical problems or timing issues. And it’s been years since I’ve heard that."

So, believe the manual if you want, no issue there. However, knowing modern cars, and their ECU capabilities, and the quality of the Toyota product, what the tech says is most likely the truth, and what the manual says is most likely a CYA (cover your ***).
Old 11-24-18, 09:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I wonder if you believe everything you hear, since you believe everything you read. Hmmm.
Recurring issue. Please knock off the personal comments or do not post. You can make your points without being rude to other members. Take a read of the sticky at top of this forum please.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-18 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 08:41 AM
berniebenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU will quickly adjust to any octane, not allow detonation.
Lower octane will reduce performance at sea level for the heavy footed.
I live at 4750' altitude where performance is not limited by octane.
Old 11-26-18, 06:05 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts

AFAIK higher octane fuels have the same speed of the front flame propagation, because whatever burns in both cases (high vs not so high octane fuel) has the same base fuel. It is the additives that change to give it a different octane rating, but additives do not increase the speed of the reaction. So, octane is simply a rating (temperature and pressure threshoulds) at which a given fuel sample starts to spontaniously ignite. Higher rating means it resists that auto-ignition better, but when the sample finally ignites, there is no reason for it to burn slower or quicker. Hence, propagation of the flame kernel will be the same speed-wise tho. Can you give a link to a peer reviewed paper that states otherwise? It would be cool to put out those myths once and for all, instead of sustaining them.

Last edited by sunamer; 11-26-18 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 06:15 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sunamer
Can you give a link to a peer reviewed paper that states otherwise? It would be cool to put out those myths once and for all, instead of sustaining them.
Are you for real?

This place is worse than the S2000 board!

We aren't trying to prove the physics of ignition here, but simply show that using a lower octane fuel than the manufacturer suggests will NOT result in detonation, which has been confirmed by a Lexus tech. If you don't want to believe that, then don't.

And I actually wrote "slower the burn" when I meant "later the ignition."

Quick Reply: OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads)