ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   OCTANE - Which gas do you put in your 3IS and why?(merged threads) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/713298-octane-which-gas-do-you-put-in-your-3is-and-why-merged-threads.html)

1Louder 07-20-17 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by arentz07 (Post 9930228)
I put some ethanol-free gas in my car once while I was on a road trip, and I swear it felt much more responsive after that. Might have been placebo effect, but hey. Gas station I went to was Sinclair.

I'd be willing to bet what you experienced was real. I had the same car during the span of time in WA state when we went from ethanol free to E10, and I was tracking my MPG with every tank. E10 dropped my MPG by ~10% (and I had years of data on either side of the change). Of course E10 is all I can get now. So I was able to quantify some inefficiency, but a small change in performance is more of a butt-feel thing.

The350Girl 07-21-17 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kitabel (Post 9930859)
I may be a bit late, but it's not accurate to refer to octane in terms of grade (what it costs, or quality) or level, or type.
Octane is not a substance, or a level of distillation accuracy, or an additive.
It's a comparison between the fuel you're buying and 100% iso-octane as to a single property: knock resistance. 100 is equal, 99 is less, 70 is too much less.
That's all it does, it's not "better" or "different" in any way (except as specified).
If you don't need it, it's just money wasted since it contains less thermal energy per gallon than low octane. Using CAM2, Sunoco 116, etc. is wasting money for any production car ("but it feels faster": that's your lighter wallet).
If your sonic knock-detection system and its spark retard work well (IDK how long they last) the ECM will adjust to lower octane by making the car slower at (nearly) WOT.

Let's focus on Toyota/Lexus Engine ! older Toyota Engine for Camry and ES released in America in 1992 ( 1MZ-FE) did requires Premium Fuel Only especially for Solara ES and Highlander user's manual says Premium Fuel Only, When Engineer stated on the user's manual we should follow because it was true that if we use Lower Grade gas, THE KNOCK SENSORS WILL DIE, canister and injectors will clog up, and the Fuel Filter ...

MsDesiJo 11-23-18 12:04 AM

89 Octane

Went to put gas in for the first time and mistakenly put 89 Octane in my 2016 IS3. What should I do? The label on the gas cap said 93. I didn't pay attention until the pump was almost finished. Every car that I have previously owned used regular.

Burrcold 11-23-18 04:30 AM

Nothing. Run through the tank until fully empty and restock the good juice.

MsDesiJo 11-23-18 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10366335)
Nothing. Run through the tank until fully empty and restock the good juice.

Thank you!!

TOPENDMS 11-23-18 06:23 PM

One time shouldnt be a problem. The dealer loaner and all car rentals almost always get filled with 89.

lychee416 11-23-18 07:20 PM

93? Not 91 high octane?

Burrcold 11-24-18 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by lychee416 (Post 10366759)
93? Not 91 high octane?

91 or higher.

VisualEcho 11-24-18 06:40 AM

91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

It comes down to using the type of gas based on how you drive the car.

Burrcold 11-24-18 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by VisualEcho (Post 10366900)
91 is recommended, but not required. The engine is fully capable of running safely on 87, even at full tilt, the ECU will just pull timing. In fact, if you're not driving the car hard you'd never know the difference.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of high octane gas, pull timing for quite a while, and possibly require a reset. Not sure if your engine is this way, but even if it were, it wouldn't be an issue with one tank of gas.

Some ECU's will, in the absence of regularly driving the car aggressively, pull timing just for better gas mileage, so if you drive like a grandpa you could run 87 octane forever and not even know the difference. Not sure if your ECU does this either. Maybe one of the tuners could chime in here.

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.

MsDesiJo 11-24-18 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by VisualEcho (Post 10366900)

This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.

VisualEcho 11-24-18 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10366903)

Correct it is capable of running on 87, but why bother going against the manufacturer recommend octane (just to save a bucks and lose on performance?)...I don't get this logic.

Again, it depends on how you use the car. I'm certain there are a lot of IS owners out there that just wanted a sporty look to their luxury car, and never drive the car hard. The guys you see commenting on this forum are only a few percent of the IS drivers out there. As to why the manufacturer suggests 91 octane, that's simply a gas mileage thing. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, and consequently the more efficient the car runs, giving you the best gas mileage possible on a TERRIBLE gas mileage car...even when driven normally.

MsDesiJo 11-24-18 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Burrcold (Post 10366903)

Wasn't trying to save money, just not used to thinking about what gas to put in my car. I have been driving an 06 Camry for the past 11 years and I used regular gas.

Just got the IS about 2 weeks ago, haven't even made the first payment yet.

VisualEcho 11-24-18 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MsDesiJo (Post 10366909)
This is the first luxury/V6 car I Have ever owned. I used to drive my 06 Camry really fast, but I have not really pushed this car yet. I just purchased this IS about 2 weeks ago so I am still learning what it can and can't do.

That tank of gas isn't going to bother anything, no worries. But if you want the best performance out of the car, the highest normal octane (93/94) you can get is the best. DO NOT use octane booster.