IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

SD Card Slot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-13, 06:11 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SD Card Slot?

Do the 2014 IS' have SD Card slots or only USB slots?

And where are each located? Center storage below armrest, glove compartment, etc.?
Old 10-05-13, 08:35 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All models have two (2) USB ports inside the Center Console under the Arm Rest. They have the interface with the Sound System and also have the 5 volt charging capability to charge you phone.

The SD Card is present only with the Navigation System but it is NOT to be used by any means by the owner because it already has a Card inside which has the Navigation current data (maps , speed limits, etc) and I understand that it is also the storage memory for current information like weather and accidents on the road. Removing it will make the Navigation System useless. It basically replaces the internal Hard Drive that older Navigation Systems used to have. The slot is located all the way down under the Sound System and Climate Controls behind a small cover that you can open if you like to take a look (there is nothing else there).
Old 10-05-13, 09:54 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddb
All models have two (2) USB ports inside the Center Console under the Arm Rest. They have the interface with the Sound System and also have the 5 volt charging capability to charge you phone.

The SD Card is present only with the Navigation System but it is NOT to be used by any means by the owner because it already has a Card inside which has the Navigation current data (maps , speed limits, etc) and I understand that it is also the storage memory for current information like weather and accidents on the road. Removing it will make the Navigation System useless. It basically replaces the internal Hard Drive that older Navigation Systems used to have. The slot is located all the way down under the Sound System and Climate Controls behind a small cover that you can open if you like to take a look (there is nothing else there).
Thank you for this detailed reply! Sucks; was in a friend's Touareg recently that had two SD Card slots in the glove compartment that can be used as drives to store music to the car...
Old 10-06-13, 03:11 AM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dbs600
Thank you for this detailed reply! Sucks; was in a friend's Touareg recently that had two SD Card slots in the glove compartment that can be used as drives to store music to the car...
Can't you use USB Flash Drive in one of the USB ports?
Old 10-06-13, 07:56 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

get the low profile USB drives to load music on

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 32GB USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-B35): Computers & Accessories

Old 10-06-13, 09:18 AM
KeyserS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say huh? A card slot per se is specific to a specific card form factor. It is not as general as a USB port, and for that reason, it really is only ideal forma dedicated purpose such as map data. For music or anything that is for driver/passenger use, USB ports are inherently superior. They support memory cards via simple adapters that you can find anywhere for just a few dollars, and also support the iPod, IPad, etc. And USB memory cards, which are flash memory chips with a USB interface, have been common for a number of years. Some are not much bigger than the little USB rectangular plug, but for the most flexibility, you can also get little "card readers" dongles, with a shot cable connecting USB plug to a slot for a memory card
Old 10-06-13, 09:30 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KeyserS
Say huh? A card slot per se is specific to a specific card form factor. It is not as general as a USB port, and for that reason, it really is only ideal forma dedicated purpose such as map data. For music or anything that is for driver/passenger use, USB ports are inherently superior. They support memory cards via simple adapters that you can find anywhere for just a few dollars, and also support the iPod, IPad, etc. And USB memory cards, which are flash memory chips with a USB interface, have been common for a number of years. Some are not much bigger than the little USB rectangular plug, but for the most flexibility, you can also get little "card readers" dongles, with a shot cable connecting USB plug to a slot for a memory card
True, but just saying that the Touareg has two SD Card slots for music / media storage purposes in the glove compartment. Friend has two 32 GB cards connected, one for him, one for his wife. I liked that it was very neat and discreet, instead of a USB drive sticking out. Was wondering if the IS had any SD Cards slots, which others have confirmed it does, but for navigation purposes only...

Last edited by dbs600; 10-06-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-06-13, 11:37 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

True, but just saying that the Touareg has two SD Card slots for music / media storage purposes in the glove compartment. Friend has two 32 GB cards connected, one for him, one for his wife. I liked that it was very neat and discrete, instead of a USB drive sticking out. Was wondering if the IS had any SD Cards slots, which others have confirmed it does, but for navigation purposes only...
With the Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB flash drive you get the same discreet storage as in the Touareg.
Old 10-07-13, 12:58 AM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just connect your smartphone via bluetooth and play the music from your phone through bluetooth? Nothing more discreet than that. No need to take out your SD card or USB to update the music list.

Everyone has their phone with them all the time. It's easier to add new music to your phone anyways.

Only issue would be if your phone is low in battery. But you can always charge the phone while it's in the car.
Old 10-07-13, 07:27 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
Only issue would be if your phone is low in battery. But you can always charge the phone while it's in the car.
Yes, I don't want to drain the phone's battery and would like the music to be there whoever drives the car.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-07-13 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-07-13, 07:39 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vbx
Why not just connect your smartphone via bluetooth and play the music from your phone through bluetooth? Nothing more discreet than that. No need to take out your SD card or USB to update the music list.

Everyone has their phone with them all the time. It's easier to add new music to your phone anyways.

This is annoying to do because you have to actually interact with your phone in order to play music from it. I like keeping my phone in my pocket.
Old 10-07-13, 08:19 AM
enoren
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JGard18
This is annoying to do because you have to actually interact with your phone in order to play music from it. I like keeping my phone in my pocket.
Not at all. I use Bluetooth audio exclusively. I can change tracks from the steering wheel and even change playlists. I never take my phone out of my pocket unless I need to charge the phone while I drive. My music just starts when the car starts, and stops when the car stops. It's the perfect setup.
Old 10-07-13, 08:39 AM
JGard18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enoren
Not at all. I use Bluetooth audio exclusively. I can change tracks from the steering wheel and even change playlists. I never take my phone out of my pocket unless I need to charge the phone while I drive. My music just starts when the car starts, and stops when the car stops. It's the perfect setup.
I have to start google music in order for the bluetooth to know what to start playing... So I don't even know how I'd do that. I wish I could.

I mean, if I previously had it playing when in the car, it'll pick up where it left off. But most mornings I'm using radio.com app instead, so I'd have to go through and change it all up. I dunno, maybe I should mess with it more. I don't think I give these systems enough credit for being "intelligent"...I expect them all to be dumb and difficult to use.
Old 10-07-13, 02:59 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by enoren
I'm not sure about that. At least not for me. I would want the music to start where I left off, not at Track 01 (file #1) every time.
Old 10-07-13, 03:42 PM
enoren
Pole Position

Originally Posted by azmojo
I'm not sure about that. At least not for me. I would want the music to start where I left off, not at Track 01 (file #1) every time.
That's exactly what it does. What did I say that confused you? I listen to both playlists and podcasts in my car and in my home. Whatever song/podcast was last playing, it starts right up when I start up the car, where it left off. I didn't say anything about starting at Track 1.

Quick Reply: SD Card Slot?