IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Coming from an A4 S-Line, liking the 350 F-Sport, need opinions

Old 10-04-13, 10:50 AM
Belzebutt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming from an A4 S-Line, liking the 350 F-Sport, need opinions

So I had an A4 Avant S-Line for the past 4 years and I'm getting that itch. Also my car's out of warranty and it's German so I'm starting to worry about that and actually driving my old Acura TSX to preserve the A4. The IS350 F-Sport caught my eye, I read tons of reviews (most notably the C&D one where they say it's the most fun car to drive), and I'm longing for that Japanese reliability again.

I went to the local dealer and they said they won't have a RWD 350 F-Sport for a while, so I haven't driven it yet. I sat down in an IS250 F-Sport a few times and checked out the outside. Here are my impressions.
- Love the exterior. The grille and detached LEDs are polarizing but I like them.
- Love the interior design, the overall lines.
- Not too impressed with the interior materials though. There seems to be a serious lack of metal/chrome and everything looks made of plastic. The "aluminum" trim doesn't look very convincing. Door sills are metal in the front but plastic in the back.
- Red leather seats and door padding on the other hand are very nice.
- There doesn't seem to be very many bells and whistles on the Canadian F-Sport models. E.g. no rain-sensing wipers. No blind spot warning system. Not even a sunglasses compartment. The only thing I don't have on the A4 is a heated steering wheel/navi.
- On the other hand, you get an adaptive suspension (I don't have one).
- Middle rear seat has no headroom.

If there are other B8 A4 owners were I'd like to hear their opinions (especially S-Line), I'd like to know if there's something they found lacking or that they really missed.

Other questions for Lexus owners:
- Is this IS350 engine a complete carry-over from the last gen, or is there anything new about it? I'm kind of iffy about getting a new car in 2014 with an engine from 2006.
- Has the reliability been really good with the last-gen IS?
- If I skip the 2013 and go for 2014, does Lexus do significant changes between model years, like adding new standard features year to year? Or are there significant differences only for the mid-cycle change?
- How's the multimedia interface on the new IS? Does it look fairly state of the art? Just playing with it and looking at it gave me the impression that it's not quite as fancy as the Audi or BWM interfaces, but maybe it's just the graphics that are lackluster. Any issues with controlling iPhone? What's the Android integration like?
- Does the F-Sport come with HomeLink or not? Haven't seen that on the specs.
Old 10-04-13, 11:04 AM
FusterCluk
Driver

My mother actually has a 2011 A4 S-Line Prestige. There are a few things about the Lexus that I really like more than the Audi.

- The ML sound system is head and shoulders better than the A4's B&O.
- Seats are also much better, not that the A4's are bad, but the F-Sport seats are just so nice and comfortable
- The interior as a whole I think is better as far as overall layout, some materials aside

I won't bad mouth the A4 in front of my parents, but I feel the IS really is just a better car.
Old 10-04-13, 11:06 AM
Belzebutt
Driver School Candidate

Details please!
Old 10-04-13, 01:02 PM
FusterCluk
Driver

What else would you like to know?
Old 10-04-13, 03:39 PM
SonyHome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Red leather seats and door padding on the other hand are very nice.
Umm, it's not leather!
Old 10-04-13, 03:54 PM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's simulated leather made out of polyurethane and plastic. They do feel and are comfortable.
Old 10-04-13, 09:06 PM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my new IS350F, I had both the IS250 and then the IS350 (both 2nd gen). The new IS (3rd gen) has a better design in my opinion both outside and inside. Engines are carry over but they are basically "iconic" engines now.

If you want power, go for the IS350. The IS250 is way too slow in my opinion. The new 8-speed transmission is only available for the IS350 RWD. It saves you some good gas because the gearing is not as aggressive as the 6-speed transmission, but you loose a little bit of a good "kick" when you step on it.

In my opinion, best option for the 3IS is to get the IS350 F RWD. Unless you need an AWD (maybe for snow?), you will have more fun with the RWD. The Sport+ Mode gives you variable suspension and you also have the adaptive steering option (make sure to get it!).

NuLuxe seats are actually better than leather. They last longer and don't get as hot in summer time (I know, my old IS350 had leather, I live in sunny Miami FL, believe me, I know). Bad side is you don't get Ventilated seats (Lexus please listen to our cries!!).

You also won't see Fog Lights here in the US and Canada for the F Sport models (again Lexus please please listen to our cries... Fog Lights are a MUST have!!). But you will get over it... lol

To answer your questions:

- Engine is a full carry over... and I love it!
- 2IS (2nd gen) were very reliable, but since this is a new design for 2014 (3IS which is the 3rd gen) we can't talk about being fully reliable until some time passes by. There is already a Firmware Update for the Navigation System because of having some issues... so go figure...
- You might see big differences between years if lots of people get to complain about some things like the missing Fog Lights on the F Sport, Lexus might add them in future years... you never know. Big changes are only between generations. The rest is just cosmetics like a new bumper or new taillights...
- Sound System and Navigation System has some issues, but they just got fixed as I said before with a Firmware update... I personally like it, but everybody has their own taste. Integration for both iPhone and Android phones is good. you can check on their website as they have a compatibility list based on the phone model and carrier you have.
- Not sure what you call Home Link, but if you refer as the ability to open the garage door, yes it has it.

Good luck and hope you join the club soon
Old 10-04-13, 09:20 PM
Belzebutt
Driver School Candidate

Cool, thanks! Yeah, I'm aware of the NuLuxe, it feels and looks really nice that's all I care about.

There's no SD card slot on the F-sport is there? If you don't stream from your phone, do you use a USB stick, any stick will do, no silly size/format limitations?

I think in Canada there is no Mark Levinson upgrade for the F-sport, is the base sound system good enough? (I have the base sound system on the A4 and I find it OK)

Fog lights I don't care about actually, I have them on the A4 and I've never used them.