IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 F Gas Pedal Open Throttle Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 06:57 AM
ddb
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS350 F Gas Pedal Open Throttle Switch

I noticed the first time I drove my new IS that when you press the Gas Pedal all the way that there is actually a switch under it as I felt a "click".

If you press the pedal down to the end, you get the transmission to shift down looking for more power/torque at full throttle (less aggressive on ECO Mode, more aggressive on Sport and Sport + Mode). But if you press it harder, that switch "clicks" and it forces the transmission to shift down faster and usually not to the next lower gear, but to the right gear that will give you maximum torque at the given speed

Now my concern is... I have not read anywhere about this, I searched all around forums and the internet in general, and I did not find anything about it, not even on the Owners Manual. I don't know if I am using the wrong words to search for this, or if I am the very first person to discover this (yeah right....) or if my IS actually has some problem and the gas pedal is supposed to go all the way down without no clicks and that "switch" is just a defect?

Has anybody noticed this? My car is a 2014 IS350 F RWD (8-Speed transmission). I have had two IS models before, a 2008 IS250 and a 2011 IS350 and never noticed this. I know that other cars in the past (other brands) have had this kind of feature, but I haven't seen this for a long time until now.

Just wondering...
Old 09-28-13, 07:39 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, there are a "kick down" function on the car, and it works like you describe. Full throttle = shift down, and often more than one gear. However, i don't think you should feel the switch that much. I have a CVT, so i can't compare your experience with mine.
Old 09-28-13, 07:47 AM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many BMW's and Mercedes' have this; not a defect.
Old 10-12-13, 02:10 PM
dbs600
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I've taken delivery, I haven't felt this switch to the pedal; wish it did have it though! Anyone have different? Wonder if there are any differences amongst IS models w/r/t this...
Old 10-12-13, 02:37 PM
GSKaplan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are referring to the accelerator position sensor. It feeds the ECTS-i and adjusts throttle response accordingly.

ACCELERATOR PEDAL SENSOR

1. CONSTRUCTION

(a) This non-contact type accelerator pedal position sensor uses a Hall IC, which is mounted on the accelerator pedal arm.

(1) A magnetic yoke is mounted at the base of the accelerator pedal arm. This yoke rotates around the Hall IC in accordance with the amount of effort that is applied to the accelerator pedal. The Hall IC converts the changes in the magnetic flux that occur into electrical signals, and outputs them in the form of accelerator pedal position signals to the ECM.

(2) The Hall IC contains 2 circuits, one for the main signal, and one for the sub signal. It converts the accelerator pedal position (angle) into electric signals that have differing characteristics and outputs them to the ECM.

THEN IT SENDS THE SIGNAL TO THIS

ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL SYSTEM-intelligent (ETCS-i) CONTROL

1. FUNCTION

(a) By controlling the throttle valve opening angle in accordance with the accelerator pedal position, the ECM generates the most appropriate engine output through the whole driving range, helping realize both acceleration operability and vehicle stability.

(b) A throttle body assembly is used to perform throttle valve opening angle control, idle speed control (ISC), deceleration control, maximum speed control, ECT cooperative control, traction control (including VSC) and cruise control during normal driving.

(c) Cooperative control with the powertrain system allows for excellent driving performance, and cooperative control with the skid control ECU (TRAC/VSC) ensures vehicle stability.

(d) A combination switch assembly is provided. Selecting a mode using the combination switch assembly changes the throttle valve opening angle for each accelerator pedal operation. 4 modes are provided: NORMAL, SPORT (SPORT S and SPORT S+*), ECO and SNOW.
*: F SPORT models

(e) The main CPU and sub CPU of the ECM mutually monitor each other, ensuring the reliability of the system.

(f) The throttle position sensor and accelerator pedal sensor assembly employ a dual-circuit system to reinforce the fail-safe function, thereby ensuring reliability.

HERE IS THE RESULTS PER DRIVING MODE

HOPE THIS HELPS!