IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anyone Else Having This Issue With Their Dash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 02:40 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update - It looks like after a few days of the Wolfgang settling in, it almost seems to be 100% gone. I will probably do another reapplication but if you didn't know it was there, it would never raise a flag. I definitely vote for the Wolfgang product!
Old 09-16-13, 02:59 PM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by PJJames
Just an update - It looks like after a few days of the Wolfgang settling in, it almost seems to be 100% gone. I will probably do another reapplication but if you didn't know it was there, it would never raise a flag. I definitely vote for the Wolfgang product!
Does the Wolfgang product make it look shiny/slicker/darker, or the same as when the vehicle was delivered?
Old 09-16-13, 03:20 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

It is mildly darker, but it fills in the faded parts of the dash. It is not sticky or slimy...
Old 09-16-13, 04:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by PJJames
It is mildly darker, but it fills in the faded parts of the dash. It is not sticky or slimy...
If you can post a pic, would be great.
Old 09-21-13, 06:35 PM
hades281
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT... Any pics after treatment? Does the problem seem permanently resolved or has it come back since application of the Wolfgang product?

All of the plastics are out-gassing and a residue forms on basically all interior surfaces of the car. It's especially noticeable on windows. I wonder if that's what you're noticing?

I think I see the same thing in my dashboard. I'm going to let it do it's thing for a while, only using a damp cloth for cleaning and apply the product for the first time after a little while.
Old 09-22-13, 01:28 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Quite honestly after a week now, I had to reapply the wolfgang stuff. It faded in quite a bit...especially in the original spot that showed the marks. I don't mind having to do this every so often, but it is annoying. The overly sensitive materials in this car are really pissing me off. Seems every day I am finding a new scratch or scuff.
Old 09-28-13, 02:02 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Seems to be a common problem. There are quite a few posts about the interior cracking, faded and even melting on the previous gen.
Old 09-29-13, 06:34 AM
G8rGirl
Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
Seems to be a common problem. There are quite a few posts about the interior cracking, faded and even melting on the previous gen.
So far I have had no problems with my 3IS dash. I also haven't put anything on it since I got the car.
Old 10-05-13, 02:44 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by G8rGirl
So far I have had no problems with my 3IS dash. I also haven't put anything on it since I got the car.
I have fade spots all over the dash. I'll post pics later.
Old 10-10-13, 08:43 AM
hades281
Driver

The previous generation Acura TL had a problem with "dashboard fade" for a few years. They came up with a TSB (procedure), a cleaning product, and a polish to restore the dashboard to black. You can order these chemicals and try.

Who is brave enough?

-----
This is the Acura TSB
Dashboard Looks Faded or Blotchy

Got an ’04–06 TL in your shop with a faded or blotchy-looking dashboard? (It’s called the
instrument panel in the parts catalog.) What’s probably causing this is the compatibilizer
material in the dashboard is migrating through the cover. After the material ages, proper cleaning and an application of vinyl protectant should restore it to showroom condition. Keep in mind, though, if you clean the dashboard before all that material has migrated, you may need to clean it again and reapply the protectant.

To clean the dashboard, first moisten a clean, white towel with Acura Spray Cleaner/Polish
(P/N 08C25-P011M), then rub the panel vigorously until the discoloration goes away. Clean the
dashboard twice in different directions to get the best results.

After you’re done cleaning, moisten another fresh towel with Acura Vinyl/Leather Protectant
(P/N 08740-PC008), and liberally apply this product to the dashboard. Do this twice in
different directions to make sure all areas get covered.

Avoid spraying the cleaner or vinyl protectant directly on the dashboard. These products are
tough to remove from glass, and glass cleaners could stain or discolor the dashboard.

----------

Cleaner
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...C25-P011M.html

Protectant
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...740-PC008.html
Old 10-13-13, 07:07 AM
JLex23
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that some of the materials are prone to scuffs. My matte black interior trim shows minor hairline scratches in some places and I always use a soft microfiber cloth for dusting. The dealership also replaced the pillar on the drivers side of the car as when it was in for service it was all scratched up from the tech getting in and out of the car. I am meticulous in caring for my cars but some people aren't and I'm sure in a few years once these cars start hitting the used market that some interiors will look rough.
Old 10-13-13, 08:41 AM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Yup! same issue with mine! For a while I thought I was going crazy.

I used the meguires to add shine back, and just ignore it most of the time.
Old 02-24-14, 06:23 PM
Atticus44
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried using any type of plastic/scratch cleaner on the plastic trim that surrounds the "eco/normal/sport/sport+" **** to get rid of scratches in the plastic like Meguiar's PlastX? I too have hairline scratches that mysteriously showed up on the middle trim black plastic and am looking for a way to make them disappear lol.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-14, 07:49 PM
Randre19
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Atticus44
Has anyone tried using any type of plastic/scratch cleaner on the plastic trim that surrounds the "eco/normal/sport/sport+" **** to get rid of scratches in the plastic like Meguiar's PlastX? I too have hairline scratches that mysteriously showed up on the middle trim black plastic and am looking for a way to make them disappear lol.

Thanks!
Bump that! I have some hairline scratches as well. If anyone knows how to get rid of these that'd be great
Old 02-24-14, 11:09 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

Ya..the center pieces scratch super easy...it's nuts.

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Having This Issue With Their Dash?