IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

MotorTrend : Lexus IS Might Just Dethrone BMW 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 11:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default MotorTrend : Lexus IS Might Just Dethrone BMW 3 series

This is MotorTrend's companion text article to the video comparison between the Lexus IS350 F-Sport and the Infiniti Q50S :

The online text article mentions some things that they left out of the video review.

Specifically : that the new Lexus IS might well be better than the current segment king, the BMW 3 series

Are either of these two brand-spanking-new Japanese sports sedans good enough to dethrone a king? One of them just might be.
As for the IS350, I'm happy to report that just as we were by its big brother GS350, we were considerably impressed by its back-road charms. Says Mortara, "Overall an amazingly fun car to drive, well, anywhere. This new Lexus is just as happy on a mountain road as it is cruising comfortably down the highway.
Somehow -- and I suppose we're thanking the F Sport's active dampers -- the Lexus rode and handled better. Even though the Lexus is down a bit on power, its superior transmission and throttle response meant that it didn't feel at all slower than the Q50S. In fact, we both felt we could push the Lexus much harder. Color us impressed.
But aside from another 50 horsepower/50 lb-ft of torque, I can't think of anything else I'd change about Lexus's latest entry into the 3 Series segment. We're going to have to see about lining the winning IS350 F Sport here up against a comparable BMW. Munich, you've been put on notice.
Link :
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Last edited by natnut; 09-04-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-04-13, 05:44 AM
LexFather

The 3IS is a brilliant drive. While these articles make for great Internet chatter what matters to me is the 3IS is really opening eyes to the "new" Lexus.
Old 09-04-13, 06:46 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but now we need an ATS vs IS350 comparison
Old 09-04-13, 06:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The 3IS is a brilliant drive. While these articles make for great Internet chatter what matters to me is the 3IS is really opening eyes to the "new" Lexus.
QFT! Agree 100%
Old 09-04-13, 07:13 AM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Yeah, but now we need an ATS vs IS350 comparison
Seriously?! ATS is not even int he same league the IS will run circles around this thing.
Old 09-04-13, 07:20 AM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

People keep saying that the IS is fugly I keep telling them why don't you drive it and see if you can get the stupid grin off your ugly face after the test drive. LOL! I happen to love the way the car looks and drive being an Infiniti loyalist I was very impressed on how it drove compared to the Q50. Infiniti has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to handling. The current 3 series didn't even tickle my fancy so I'm not surprise with the MT article.
Old 09-04-13, 07:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

car looks way better in person for those who havent seen it yet.
Old 09-04-13, 07:21 AM
LexFather

The ATS is actually a really good drive

I have no problems with people calling the IS ugly, it sure isn't pretty, lets just call it striking
Old 09-04-13, 07:56 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

...the new IS rides on a cut-down version of the GS platform, a car we here at Motor Trend like very much indeed. The GS F Sport managed to easily beat out the comparable Audi, BMW, and Infiniti (see "Mid-Life Medicine," June 2012) in our comparison test. The winning GS was not only the lightest car in that group (535i, A6, and M37) but it was without question the most fun to drive. As you might expect, an even smaller version of the GS F Sport feels quite nimble and tossable.

Hmmm. I'm noticing a pattern here.

The new GS beat the BMW F10 5 series in 2012. Might the new IS, based on the incredibly capable 4th generation GS L10 chassis, deliver the same thrashing to the BMW F30 3 series in 2013?
Old 09-04-13, 08:04 AM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
As I have mentioned on another thread, I ordered an IS350 F sport after owning a BMW 330xi for eleven years. The current 3 series provides, in my opinion, a much inferior driving experience as compared to my older BMW. BMW's attempted to expand the 3 series appeal in recent years to a wider market which has diluted its drivability to the point that it is no longer the "Ultimate Driving Machine.

To my surprise, I found the new IS to be almost as much fun to drive as my 2002 330xi, Not surprisingly, the Lexus was much more comfortable and quiet. I was also impressed with how much more "solid" it felt versus the BMW 3er, old and new.

I believe Lexus has really hit the mark with the IS in general and especially with the IS 350 F sport in particular. Those who value handling and performance at a "reasonable" price will flock to this vehicle, I believe. People could not get enough of the pre f30 BMW despite some years of controversial exterior design (the Bangle period). Similarly, I predict IS sales will be strong, despite the controversial spindle grill.
Old 09-04-13, 10:09 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by glennp2014
Seriously?! ATS is not even int he same league the IS will run circles around this thing.
You must be heavily misinformed my friend. The ATS was the leading champ in the sports sedan comparison test from last year.

Are you sure we're talking about the same car?
Old 09-04-13, 11:34 AM
damtachoa
Pole Position

another 50 horsepower/50 lb-ft of torque
That's what I want for both IS and GS model. Come on Lexus.
Old 09-04-13, 11:49 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by damtachoa
That's what I want for both IS and GS model. Come on Lexus.
Just get an IS-F then
Old 09-04-13, 01:36 PM
glennp2014
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SimTide985
You must be heavily misinformed my friend. The ATS was the leading champ in the sports sedan comparison test from last year.

Are you sure we're talking about the same car?
Heavily misinformed? LOL! On the contrary my friend I have driven this car as a rental plenty of time and trust me it's no where near the handling of the IS. Spirited driving this car is a bit of a roller and the shifting of the tranny is a bit ..... how shall I say it, delayed? Well you know what I mean and that ugly interior why can't american built cars have a decent interior. Interior has cheap written all over it, sorry but the ATS is not what they say it is. And besides it won LAST YEAR so I'm confident that the IS will hand the ATS it's b u t t.......
Old 09-04-13, 01:45 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Having driven both the 3is and the 3 series bmw. As always the lexus has the comfort but man the bmw 3 series is a pretty mean machine.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend : Lexus IS Might Just Dethrone BMW 3 series