IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

'14 Q50S vs. '14 IS350 F-Sport: Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I will state up front that I haven't driven either car. With that out of the way, I can see why the IS350's styling would be polarizing, but I think it is sexy vs. the Q50's styling which is just attractive. The Q50 will blend in with everything else out there. The IS won't. I happen to think it's sharp. With the exception of cars like Aston Martins, the "beautiful" ones are quickly forgotten. The "edgier" ones last a bit longer. I think Lexus has gone in the right direction.

Heck, the "Bangled" 5 Series was the most derided design ever by auto mags and it sold more than the previous model ever did.
Old 08-29-13, 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Heck, the "Bangled" 5 Series was the most derided design ever by auto mags and it sold more than the previous model ever did.
I never understood the hatred for that design either...
Old 08-29-13, 08:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by euro.r
Interesting. As much as I don't care for the F-Sport looks, I think the Q50 is even uglier. Intriguing though about how 1 button shuts off 90% of the nannies on the Q50. Looks like it'd be a fun car to toss around.
^^^ The IS also has one button... Clearly he didn't know how to use it..!!!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

And 90% of drivers won't even turn them off. This is a win for enthusiasts who can use the Personalized setting in InTouch and tailor the Q50 to the drivers needs. Not offering a feature that disables things like traction and stability control would be the real travesty. 2006 IS is evidence of that hence 2007 allowed for pressing and holding the trac off button to disable traction and stability without some ridiculous pedal dance...

^^^ Pedal dance still works up to 2013.... I haven't tried it in a MY14 yet..

Pedal dance and TRAC button (extended press & hold) do different things..
Pedal dance does more...

~ Joe Z
Old 08-30-13, 03:12 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^^ The IS also has one button... Clearly he didn't know how to use it..!!!

Pedal dance and TRAC button (extended press & hold) do different things..
Pedal dance does more...

~ Joe Z
I read a review where they said the car will be like a gt 86 sedan after disconnecting the electronic nannies TRAC & VSC . The VSC can only be disconnected by the pedal dance .

Last edited by AMNss; 08-30-13 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AMNss
I read a review where they said the car will be like a gt 86 sedan after disconnecting the electronic nannies TRAC & VSC . The VSC can only be disconnected by the pedal dance .
in production cars, VSC can be turned off by holding trac longer. In pre-production car, vsc couldnt be turned off which led some mag saying it cant be turned off... At least thats how i remember it working.
Old 08-30-13, 05:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
The review was fine for what it is. He said within the first 2 minutes it was going to be about how the cars drive, and that's precisely what he focused on. If you were looking for a comprehensive review, that should have been your queue right there. He briefly touched on a couple other aspects but focused on exactly what he said the review would be focused on.
it is not a review at all, it is him filming his tweets (ie short opinions as he goes through driving the car).

If you stop after 2 minutes, you will think Infiniti invented drive by wire which works perfectly and without being able to figure out it is drive by wire.

If you go through all 5 minutes, then you will find out that Infiniti made huge mistake by putting drive by wire into a sports sedan that made it feel completely weird.

So, no, it is not a review... it is timeline of his short thoughts as he goes through driving the car.

In Review, you drive the car for a while, write down your one liners and then actually sit down to write proper review of the car.

Again, this has nothing to do with Lexus winning the comparo, it is just professional reviewer trying to get more youtube views by acting like a kid.
Old 08-30-13, 05:53 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I personally like the exterior of the Q50 but like the interior of the IS. Q50 performance is a little better also.
Old 08-30-13, 06:29 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw and sat in a q50 while my sis had her G in for service. Sales staff were gushing over it and asking me what I thought of their new baby. I said the car looked like an oval on wheels and like it needed to lose weight. They just turned about face and walked away, lol.

I used to admire infiniti's design, but their new direction is just odd to me. But that's the good news. Those buyers with a different appreciation won't be buying a Lexus.
Old 08-30-13, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not a review at all, it is him filming his tweets (ie short opinions as he goes through driving the car).

If you stop after 2 minutes, you will think Infiniti invented drive by wire which works perfectly and without being able to figure out it is drive by wire.

If you go through all 5 minutes, then you will find out that Infiniti made huge mistake by putting drive by wire into a sports sedan that made it feel completely weird.

So, no, it is not a review... it is timeline of his short thoughts as he goes through driving the car.
I totally don't get where you are coming from here. In any review if you stop partway through reading it you won't get the full understanding of the reviewers thoughts. Anything has a beginning, middle, and an end. What should they have done, put a message at the bottom of the screen letting everybody know their final observations in case they only want to watch a specific 30 seconds of the review?

He said that one of the other testers said they couldn't tell it was drive by wire...and then continued on to say that he could.

In Review, you drive the car for a while, write down your one liners and then actually sit down to write proper review of the car.

Again, this has nothing to do with Lexus winning the comparo, it is just professional reviewer trying to get more youtube views by acting like a kid.
Not in this type of a review. These reviews are all over YouTube, its become a style of review...a first person account of a reviewers thoughts as they are driving the car. The viewer watches the reviewers experiences as he is experiencing them. So...some things may initially be positive and then become more negative as the reviewer pushes harder and experiences more. I personally enjoy these reviews...if you don't then you shouldn't watch them but they are popular and done by many, many different sources...both professional like this one that comes from MotorTrend, and more amateur such as those done by the FastlaneCar, etc.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-30-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 08:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its 15 minutes not 5 minutes and it is a review
Old 08-30-13, 08:06 AM
redraptor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see 1 everyday on my way back from work, there a guy who bought one 2 blocks away and has already blacked out the tailights and windows.

I think it looks decent at best. The front is much better than the back which looks too bland.
Old 08-30-13, 09:12 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I will state up front that I haven't driven either car. With that out of the way, I can see why the IS350's styling would be polarizing, but I think it is sexy vs. the Q50's styling which is just attractive. The Q50 will blend in with everything else out there. The IS won't. I happen to think it's sharp. With the exception of cars like Aston Martins, the "beautiful" ones are quickly forgotten. The "edgier" ones last a bit longer. I think Lexus has gone in the right direction.
I have driven the 3IS, but not the new Q50 (but I have seen it in person).

I agree completely with Dseag. I think the Lexus design language will age well, Infiniti's will just blend in with the rest.

And the IS is a blast to drive, it feels good on the road.

First gen Bangled Bimmers I didn't like it all. Well, the more conservative 3-series looked decent, but the 5 and 7 were a hot mess, IMO. But BMW sold a TON of them. Go figure. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-30-13, 10:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

in production cars, VSC can be turned off by holding trac longer. In pre-production car, vsc couldnt be turned off which led some mag saying it cant be turned off... At least thats how i remember it working.
That is not accurate....

We have the data logged somewhere in the IS-F Forum... I will see if I can dig it out..

~ Joe Z
Old 08-30-13, 11:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Pedal dance works on the 2014...

Done on closed course by professional driver. Do not try this at home.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-30-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 11:51 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well ... In the review I read they used a production car .
Here it is :
http://www.drivearabia.com/lexus/2014-lexus-is-350.html

Quick Reply: '14 Q50S vs. '14 IS350 F-Sport: Motor Trend