IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

If Lexus service people put swirls all over your car?

Old 08-21-13, 06:14 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If Lexus service people put swirls all over your car?

This hasn't happened to me yet since my car now only has 700 miles. If Lexus service people washed your car and created swirls all over it when you had asked them not to wash it, could you make Lexus responsible for the damage and get them to reimburse the amount of the repair? Fixing swirls requires polishing, claying, waxing, etc. and this costs at least $500 or more depending on the level of damage. More importantly, polishing will make the clear coat thinner. Can you please share your experience ?
Old 08-21-13, 06:31 PM
JerryWest
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
This hasn't happened to me yet since my car now only has 700 miles. If Lexus service people washed your car and created swirls all over it when you had asked them not to wash it, could you make Lexus responsible for the damage and get them to reimburse the amount of the repair? Fixing swirls requires polishing, claying, waxing, etc. and this costs at least $500 or more depending on the level of damage. More importantly, polishing will make the clear coat thinner. Can you please share your experience ?
I specifically tell Lexus to write down NOT TO WASH the car on the service ticket!
Old 08-21-13, 07:11 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I mention no car wash every time I go to dealership for any service and after so many years of relationship with the dealership, they make no car wash as the default for my car. And I always bring a clean and washed car to them for every service to reduce swirls done by whoever works on my car. I think a dealership certainly welcome a clean car before the service for a customer who has high standard of car care. It is almost impossible not to induce some kind of minor swirls and hairline scratches to a dirty car during a service.
Old 08-21-13, 10:16 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does washing make swirls? Is it the pad they use?
Old 08-21-13, 11:00 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer here has a "$1M carwash facility" that's free to use anytime for everyone who bought their car new there. To use or not to use? I won't wash my car myself, so the alternative is the quick hand wash at the detailer that costs 60 bucks.
Old 08-22-13, 02:52 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To be perfectly frank, I dont think you can hold them accountable for anything, the main reasons being:

1) How are you going to prove that THEY put the swirls on your car?
2) How are you going to prove that the car had no swirls on it before hand?
3) How are you going to prove that YOU didnt put the swirls on the car?
Old 08-22-13, 05:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
How does washing make swirls? Is it the pad they use?
yea they dont use the correct and/or dirty washing mitt or drying towel. Using clean microfiber mitts and towels wont swirl the car
Old 08-22-13, 06:56 AM
Macx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rayaans
To be perfectly frank, I dont think you can hold them accountable for anything, the main reasons being:

What if you ASKED them specifically NOT to wash the car, like the OP mentioned.
Old 08-22-13, 08:14 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea they dont use the correct and/or dirty washing mitt or drying towel. Using clean microfiber mitts and towels wont swirl the car
Some Lexus dealerships that I have come across in my area actually have the "soft cloth" car wash machine. If your car is quite dirty, basically swirls are induced in the car wash process.

Car wash without proper procedures and tools should definitely mar the paint as your car ages. Also a proper car wash takes time and patience. It is not something most dealerships could afford.
Old 08-22-13, 09:23 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

It depends on the person if you take care of your car a maybe detail a lot. Trust me you will see new swirls and you will know where they came from. I write on a piece of paper and tell the service advisor no wash.
Old 08-22-13, 04:23 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
It depends on the person if you take care of your car a maybe detail a lot. Trust me you will see new swirls and you will know where they came from. I write on a piece of paper and tell the service advisor no wash.
Right, so they will put their hands up and say sorry, maybe give you a free service or something but thats about it
Old 08-22-13, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
Dealer here has a "$1M carwash facility" that's free to use anytime for everyone who bought their car new there. To use or not to use? I won't wash my car myself, so the alternative is the quick hand wash at the detailer that costs 60 bucks.
For $60 you can have the car hand washed by the most incredible detailer in town, right in your driveway. No way I would pay the dealer $60 to screw up my car (which they will).
Old 08-22-13, 06:48 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

You would specifically point out the lack of swirl to your service adviser at the time you drop off the car and have him note it on your intake form.
Old 08-22-13, 08:07 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

If you're paying $500+ to get your car waxed and clayed, you're either exaggerating to make a buck from the dealer or letting yourself get ripped off.
Old 08-22-13, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

$500 is not unreasonable for wash, clay, swirl removal, polish and wax at a high end professional detailer.

To do that right you're looking at 10 hours of work...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If Lexus service people put swirls all over your car?