IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus Smart Card Key (Credit Card Key)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 09:18 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
In my experience talking to the dealership about getting a card key or making it work is an exercise in futility. If it was not literally looking them right in the face they didn't have the imagination to think it was possible. I won't tell you how many local dealerships told me the card key was incompatible. It works, just find a dealership to sell it to you, program it yourself and have fun. Everything you need to know is above in my in post or those above mine.
I'd presume you can likewise program the regular fobs this way? Considering they're only $70 and that I only got one with my car (previous owner lost the other) that would certainly be helpful.

Also, does this mean we can do the same programming of the car the dealers do, or is this only for fobs?

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Just picked mine up, My wallet is RFID and it murders the range. Thinking about switching wallets.
How is the range? If it works within a couple feet that's fine by me, as I only really care about proximity for opening the door or trunk. Not giving up my RFID-blocking wallet.
Old 01-16-19, 10:28 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD

How is the range? If it works within a couple feet that's fine by me, as I only really care about proximity for opening the door or trunk. Not giving up my RFID-blocking wallet.
I literally had to pull my wallet out of my pocket and touch it to the door handle. I couldnt leave it in my pocket or it wouldnt work. Switched to a regular leather wallet and no probs.

On a side note I asked lexus to reprogram my card key to my new RC350, but they said the vin wasnt compatible so they didnt try it. Going to go in again and have them give it a shot, since many other members have done the same with success.
Old 01-16-19, 11:06 AM
Renarello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay
Part number please and will it work with my 2014 IS350 F?
Thanks
Old 01-16-19, 12:15 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
I literally had to pull my wallet out of my pocket and touch it to the door handle. I couldnt leave it in my pocket or it wouldnt work. Switched to a regular leather wallet and no probs.
Yeah, not so convenient then. Means I'd end up having a different sleeve for the card, which effectively isn't any different from carrying the fob.
Old 04-05-19, 01:15 PM
EagleUSMCR
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Pittsy;10411436]I literally had to pull my wallet out of my pocket and touch it to the door handle. I couldnt leave it in my pocket or it wouldnt work. Switched to a regular leather wallet and no probs.

Still looking for a NON RFID blocking minimalist wallet... appreciate any recommendations... Amazon would be convenient.
Thanks.
Old 07-29-19, 08:23 AM
Cienfuegos
Driver School Candidate

Default Philadelphia

Anyone in Philadelphia been able to get a dealership to program it? Lexus Thompson and Wilkie both have been saying it can’t be programmed and it’s not compatible, even though I pointed out that parts.Lexus.com says other wise.
Old 07-29-19, 07:50 PM
gandalfAUS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
I bought my replacement card key from MYLparts.com and paid $40 for programming at my dealership
Link to part? Is it this one?
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...d-6951550270rk
Old 07-30-19, 09:12 AM
is300f2
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, I have read through the posts, from what I understand, the only key card with FCC ID "HYQ 14 CBB (312.1-314.35MHz) would work on 3IS???
I got a card with FCC ID HYQ 14 ABB which comes with 312.1 and 314.35MHz, the FCC ID on 3IS is HYQ14FBA (314.35MHz). Do you guys think it will work on 3IS? My car is 2016 IS300 AWD F2.
Thanks for any input.
Old 08-11-19, 03:30 PM
Cienfuegos
Driver School Candidate

So I’ve been trying to register this key and it isn’t working. I download techstream and have the cable and they’re pairing fine. But every time I try to register the new key it fails. Anyone have some insight? I have a 2014 IS250. I purchased the part number 8990453510 from a dealer on EBay...but they sent me 8990453511, would that make a difference?
Old 08-11-19, 05:15 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Cienfuegos
So I’ve been trying to register this key and it isn’t working. I download techstream and have the cable and they’re pairing fine. But every time I try to register the new key it fails. Anyone have some insight? I have a 2014 IS250. I purchased the part number 8990453510 from a dealer on EBay...but they sent me 8990453511, would that make a difference?
All I know is that our cars are VERY picky and you must have the right part number. I've also heard, but kind of do not believe, that once a key is paired with a car it cannot be paired with another car. Good luck.
Old 08-14-19, 07:12 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
All I know is that our cars are VERY picky and you must have the right part number. I've also heard, but kind of do not believe, that once a key is paired with a car it cannot be paired with another car. Good luck.
Once you pair the key with a car it cannot be EASILY paired with another car. If you buy a used key you MUST obtain a seed code and completely wipe the car's memory of all keys then reprogram them all. The seed codes can be gotten off the internet for a fee or the dark web for free but it's just easier to call up a dealer with knowledge and buy a brand new card based on your VIN#. Dealerships advertise them on Ebay all the time. Just write down your VIN# and ask them to mail you the one that matches.

I posted a guide on here a while back that will take you from idea to fully functioning if you follow it exactly.

I bought mine off Ebay for a reasonable price from a dealer in Florida.
Old 08-14-19, 07:16 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cienfuegos

This happened to me when I tried it the first time. I simply changed the battery in the card key. A weak battery will keep the card alive but will not be enough to program the car. Also during programming make sure all the other keys are FAR away and the card key with a fresh battery is right up against the start button then placed on the passenger seat with a clear line of sight to the start button.
Old 08-14-19, 01:02 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
This happened to me when I tried it the first time. I simply changed the battery in the card key. A weak battery will keep the card alive but will not be enough to program the car. Also during programming make sure all the other keys are FAR away and the card key with a fresh battery is right up against the start button then placed on the passenger seat with a clear line of sight to the start button.
Thats Odd that worked, during programming when it asks the key to be touched to ignition, the ignition switch actually powers the key. If your fob dies, regardless of what time, you can press it onto ignition button to start the car. I assumed thats the reason youre required to touch it to the switch.
Old 09-27-19, 07:55 AM
ccpyue
Driver School Candidate

Hi, have a question on Card Key, is its mechanical key also work on any car? do you have to cut it before it can be used?
Old 09-27-19, 09:05 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ccpyue
Hi, have a question on Card Key, is its mechanical key also work on any car? do you have to cut it before it can be used?
The credit card key is just a RFID type of key. Think of your keyfob, but in credit card size. IE: You put it in your wallet and you don't have to carry a big fob or key. There is no mechanical key on it or cut into it.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Lexus Smart Card Key (Credit Card Key)