IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS 350 F vs Benz CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 08:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
You are drifting away a little bit. I'm not focusing on the interior quality, you did. It is a big deal to you.

I'm just responding on your Hence it understeers like a vauxhall astra comment. Which I don't think it is true.

If I buy a A45/CLA45, the interior quality and practicality will not be the main reason of the purchase.

And what a terrible suggestion to drop a big heavy 5.5 V8 in that little car.
I just dont like the way the CLA handles, probably because I like cars which are rear wheel drive. It just felt nervous when I drove it. Its not as confidence inspiring as I expect in a little fast car.

As for the GL, its in a completely different price bracket. Either way, I hate mercedes, ill say that up front, mine has given me nothing but trouble, never again. And I thought the S5 was bad when it had a MMI hiccup every few months but atleast thats the only problem it had
Old 07-31-13, 08:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I too like the styling of the CLA, but it doesn't feel like a premium car to me, I feel the same way about the Lexus CT. The heft and quality isn't there, materials are poor. But, its stylish and cheap and will sell incredibly well.

In this comparison I'd absolutely take the IS.

I have always wanted to like a Mercedes, I like them from the exterior and like the idea and the prestige, but it has always fallen apart for me when I sit in it...even with the S Class. Their interiors just don't appeal to me. I looked at a CPO S550 before I got the GS, I drove it around the block and had no interest. Well built, nice materials sure...but E, C, GL, ML...I haven't even felt an urge to drive them after sitting in one at the dealership.
Old 07-31-13, 09:02 AM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this is a hatch A45 versus a wagon 63 AMG, holy hell!!!

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/mer...cls63-amg.html
Old 07-31-13, 12:03 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbayse99
Although this is a hatch A45 versus a wagon 63 AMG, holy hell!!!

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/mer...cls63-amg.html
They call it the beast.
Old 07-31-13, 12:30 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately the materials are "cheap" though I don't see how people have come to this conclusion simply by pictures.

However with that said, the interior in the CLA AMG LOOKS 10000000000X better than the IS interior.
One specific place, the STEERING WHEEL. IMO the IS has the worst looking steering wheel Ive ever seen. Looks like a donught.
Old 07-31-13, 03:05 PM
IanP
Rookie

I was between Mercedes and Lexus (though have no interest in AMG or F-sport).

With the gorgeous CLA, I couldn't get past the fact it is still fundamentally an A-class and feels like it. Or, put another way, I just found (even) the (outgoing) C-class better in every department except exterior looks.

If the new C-class had come out before the IS, who knows? But I just wouldn't put the CLA in the same bracket as the IS.
Old 07-31-13, 03:32 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I too like the styling of the CLA, but it doesn't feel like a premium car to me, I feel the same way about the Lexus CT. The heft and quality isn't there, materials are poor. But, its stylish and cheap and will sell incredibly well.

In this comparison I'd absolutely take the IS.

I have always wanted to like a Mercedes, I like them from the exterior and like the idea and the prestige, but it has always fallen apart for me when I sit in it...even with the S Class. Their interiors just don't appeal to me. I looked at a CPO S550 before I got the GS, I drove it around the block and had no interest. Well built, nice materials sure...but E, C, GL, ML...I haven't even felt an urge to drive them after sitting in one at the dealership.
Everyone likes the styling of the CLA, me included. I am exactly the same as you, when I sit in a mercedes, I always expect a character and to me, with mercs the character just isnt there so therefore get completely turned off so to speak.

When I sit in an Audi, Lexus or BMW, theres a sense of occasion that Mercedes cant match. The GS was a winner for me, I loved the interior, was planning on red on red GS450h F Sport seen as though it cost the same as the RX450h F Sport but couldnt buy because I needed the extra space of the RX.

For me, the seats are one of the most important and Lexus = sofa while Merc = chair. Thats just my opinion and if you like mercedes, take a deep breath and chill out.
Old 08-05-13, 11:00 AM
driven5373
Driver School Candidate

This car looks interesting but apparently the head room is poor due to the raked roof line.

You're also looking at the mid to high 50's as many of the boasted about features are actually options.

You're also taking a big risk of a huge depreciation loss if this model does not go over well since it is something entirely new to Mercedes whereas the IS Sport represents an evolution or improvement of an old model so there is a much lesser risk.
Old 08-05-13, 12:56 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Originally Posted by driven5373
This car looks interesting but apparently the head room is poor due to the raked roof line.

You're also looking at the mid to high 50's as many of the boasted about features are actually options.

You're also taking a big risk of a huge depreciation loss if this model does not go over well since it is something entirely new to Mercedes whereas the IS Sport represents an evolution or improvement of an old model so there is a much lesser risk.
I wouldn't go over board and say it could possibly be huge depreciation loss. You are talking about a high premium brand (mercedes). The CLA AMG is a great looking car and I can bet my money that it will sell really well. With 355 hp for a low $50k starting point will definitely rise my interest and a hand built AMG engine is something special. I am waiting for the CLA AMG to launch before I make my decision.