IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2012 328 sportline vs New is350 (test drive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 10:52 PM
xcantuaj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 328 sportline vs New is350 (test drive)

I currently drive a 2012 sportline 328i and test drove IS350 today. The first thing I noticed was the IS350 felt cramped compared to 328i. Yes...there is more rear leg room than previous IS but still felt smaller. Driver and Passenger felt really narrow compared to my 328i. The materials used for interior were much nicer than my 328....seats were very comfy. The most disappointing part of my test drive was the power coming from the engine....I remember the older IS350 pulling harder than this new model. My 328i feels quicker and pulls harder. I like the new IS350 but I can't believe after almost 7 years they use the same engine....what a disappointment. An engine that is not boost friendly. Sorry guys....I love lexus but just wasn't impressed....I will look into a used ISF next.
Old 07-23-13, 11:24 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree on the 7+ years on the engine..
Old 07-24-13, 01:29 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The 2GR-FSE is a very good engine

I don't think 328i could beat a IS350, unless the new one is slower?

The 2IS IS350 was easily a 5 second car. And even a high 4 second car STOCK
Old 07-24-13, 02:15 AM
IanP
Rookie

Based on my own test drive, it'll be difficult (though not impossible, given BMW's reliability problems) for Lexus to persuade people who like the 3-series over to the IS if they have never been with Lexus before.

The reason I think is that the IS seems a particularly heavy car - which has its advantages and disadvantages but is strikingly different from the equivalent BMWs or (even more so) Audis. If you're not used to it and you're already with BMW (or Audi), you may well stick with what you have based solely on the test drive.

The one I test-drove was even heavier, perhaps, because it was the hybrid (unavailable in the US). But I suspect even non-hybrid versions feel very heavy. There is no doubt this detracts from the sporting potential of the car (but, conversely, it really makes you feel safe!)
Old 07-24-13, 02:51 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Both the 328i and the IS350 have a different kind of power delivery. You cant drive the IS350 like you would the 328i, simply because it'll feel lethargic.

The reason for that, is because the 328i is a turbo four pot, it has a lot of low end grunt which makes it effortless.

With the IS350, because most of the power delivery comes at the top of the rev range, it literally needs hammering. It needs revving hard and then it'll go. Same with all Lexus engines IMO.
Old 07-24-13, 04:34 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Both the 328i and the IS350 have a different kind of power delivery. You cant drive the IS350 like you would the 328i, simply because it'll feel lethargic.

The reason for that, is because the 328i is a turbo four pot, it has a lot of low end grunt which makes it effortless.

With the IS350, because most of the power delivery comes at the top of the rev range, it literally needs hammering. It needs revving hard and then it'll go. Same with all Lexus engines IMO.
Not true at all..

Both the IS250 & IS350 have excellent power bands

The torque peaks right away and stays flat all the way till 7000rpm!
Old 07-24-13, 07:57 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IanP
Based on my own test drive, it'll be difficult (though not impossible, given BMW's reliability problems) for Lexus to persuade people who like the 3-series over to the IS if they have never been with Lexus before.

The reason I think is that the IS seems a particularly heavy car - which has its advantages and disadvantages but is strikingly different from the equivalent BMWs or (even more so) Audis. If you're not used to it and you're already with BMW (or Audi), you may well stick with what you have based solely on the test drive.

The one I test-drove was even heavier, perhaps, because it was the hybrid (unavailable in the US). But I suspect even non-hybrid versions feel very heavy. There is no doubt this detracts from the sporting potential of the car (but, conversely, it really makes you feel safe!)
328i = 3400lbs
IS350 = 3600lbs
Old 07-24-13, 08:59 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by yowps3
Not true at all..

I've seen this posted before and, I'm sorry, but it's complete bull****. All you have to do is drive the car to know that's not the case. The car does not feel fast at all unless you're revving the snot out of it (keep it above 4.5k rpm). The tranny doesn't like to do that so you'll have to use the paddle shifters to get the most out of the engine. Takes a bit of work, but it also adds that "fun to drive" that Toyoda was looking for.

To the earlier posters, the new IS350 is heavier than the old one so it's slower. C+D rated it at 5.6s 0-60, and the 328i is rated the same.

Seriously, it's a crying shame that they didn't update the engine on the IS. It's the car's only Achilles heel (other than maybe the controversial styling), and it's a big one.
Old 07-24-13, 09:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Stillhart
I've seen this posted before and, I'm sorry, but it's complete bull****. All you have to do is drive the car to know that's not the case. The car does not feel fast at all unless you're revving the snot out of it (keep it above 4.5k rpm). The tranny doesn't like to do that so you'll have to use the paddle shifters to get the most out of the engine. Takes a bit of work, but it also adds that "fun to drive" that Toyoda was looking for.

To the earlier posters, the new IS350 is heavier than the old one so it's slower. C+D rated it at 5.6s 0-60, and the 328i is rated the same.

Seriously, it's a crying shame that they didn't update the engine on the IS. It's the car's only Achilles heel (other than maybe the controversial styling), and it's a big one.
it is not bull, you just dont understand what you are talking about.

You can not drive AT fast unless you press gas pedal completely, which means WOT. When you are in WOT, then car decides to give you best possible acceleration - which means high revs. It doesnt mean that there isnt power at 2000 rpm, there is - as the chart shows - but there is more at 4500 are car goes there.

As you said, 0-60 is the same as 328i, so it cant be slower than 328i.
Old 07-24-13, 10:24 AM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by rayaans

Originally Posted by yowps3
Not true at all..

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not bull, you just dont understand what you are talking about.

You can not drive AT fast unless you press gas pedal completely, which means WOT. When you are in WOT, then car decides to give you best possible acceleration - which means high revs. It doesnt mean that there isnt power at 2000 rpm, there is - as the chart shows - but there is more at 4500 are car goes there.

As you said, 0-60 is the same as 328i, so it cant be slower than 328i.
I was calling BS on the response to the post above. The two cars DO have different power delivery. One DOES feel (very important word there) faster than the other. You DO have to drive them differently to get the most out of them.

To say that's not true because "look at the graph" is ridiculous. All you have to do is drive the cars to tell which is correct. One feels faster, even though they're just as quick to 60. One needs to be in manual mode to get the most fun because its tranny is programmed to be less aggressive. These are true, whether you post a graph or not.

Also, I said the 3IS is slower than the 2IS, which is true. I didn't say it was slower than the 328 since they're the same speed to 60.
Old 07-24-13, 10:38 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stillhart
I was calling BS on the response to the post above. The two cars DO have different power delivery. One DOES feel (very important word there) faster than the other. You DO have to drive them differently to get the most out of them.

To say that's not true because "look at the graph" is ridiculous. All you have to do is drive the cars to tell which is correct. One feels faster, even though they're just as quick to 60. One needs to be in manual mode to get the most fun because its tranny is programmed to be less aggressive. These are true, whether you post a graph or not.

Also, I said the 3IS is slower than the 2IS, which is true. I didn't say it was slower than the 328 since they're the same speed to 60.
I agree, the turbo engine feeds boost and gives you non linear feel of power.
Old 07-24-13, 10:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The 328i may "feel" as fast as the IS350 but it is definitely no match for the IS350 in straightline pick-up.

How do I know?

Watch this, an AWD GS350 vs a 328i on the highway :

The GS350 is AWD, thus heavier than a RWD GS, has more drivetrain losses by virtue of being an AWD, has the normal 6 speed yet easily SPANKS the 328i on the highway pull.

A RWD IS350 is lighter, has less drivetrain loss, has the fast shifting ISF 8 speed gearbox, well....you do the math.
Old 07-24-13, 10:46 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Go here and watch the video natnut posted of a review of the IS350 where the reviewer clearly states he'd take the IS350 over a BMW and Audi and where he says it feels almost as fast as an S4 -- for under 50K. He clearly falls more and more in love with the iS the more he drives it. What more can one want? Get an R-spec and blow everyone away for 42K -- if one really needs speed. R-spec = best value around for speed demons who want luxury and tech too imo.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...restige-2.html
Old 07-24-13, 11:26 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Turbo cars and diesels always feel faster. However, they may actually NOT be faster. Nevertheless, if BMW can match an IS350 with their I4 turbo, that's quite impressive. Both IS engines need a kick in the pants. The 350 is no longer top dog, and the 250 will easily fall prey to most v6 equipped family sedans.
Old 07-24-13, 11:57 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

imo the Lexus IS350 accomplishes something that is an integral part of Japanese culture -- Wa - harmony. it is a beautifully balanced car in every respect again imo.

Quick Reply: 2012 328 sportline vs New is350 (test drive)