IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dilemma: Obsidian RWD Trade for Ultrasonic Blue AWD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 03:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Unhappy Dilemma: Obsidian RWD Trade for Ultrasonic Blue AWD???

Folks.

My sales rep gave me a call. In a way I wish I didn't get this news because now I'm torn , but basically, for 70$ more per month (lease), he can switch my Obsidian/Rioja 250 RWD for a USB 250 AWD with Premium Package (adds - Nav, backup cam, heated steering, sunroof) and I can get this a little earlier (late August vs early September for my original Obsidian order).

I love USB as a color and would go for the exchange if it were the same as my order. I don't really care for the Nav and AWD, but LOVE the USB as it does stand out in a sea of whites, grays, and blacks. I was definitely going to invest about 1500$ for winters/tpms on the RWD, but I wouldn't with the AWD as All-Seasons are OK in my experience with my past IS AWD so I do save some money there.

Is 70$ per month worth it? USB interior is black. What would you do???
Old 07-17-13, 03:15 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I'd say go for it. You're lucky you even have a choice of USB.
Old 07-17-13, 03:28 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well $1500 for tires you were going to spend anyways. If you take that out of the $2500 (70*36 months?), you're paying $1000 for AWD, USB color (awesome!), Nav, sunroof, heated stuff, backup cam, etc. Seems like a pretty good deal to me, especially since you live somewhere where the AWD will come in handy in the winter.
Old 07-17-13, 03:46 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wold also say take it. The usb is a colour which stands out and you also get the added safety of AWD as well as other things which you "dont care for" but will definitely use if you get them!! I also think the usb is a much more rewarding colour than obsidian. Its metallic for a start and itll look awesome if cared for properly. Requires less maintenance too!

Soooo I guess its time to change your avatar...... to something a little more blue...?
Old 07-17-13, 03:49 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

What about factoring in for the AWD a 10% decrease in fuel economy, 0.5 seconds slower 0-60, 200 lbs heavier, and 6-speed is carryover (versus "sportier" 6-speed from FRS/BRZ in the RWD)? Lease is over 48 months so about $3400 more at the end of the term.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-17-13, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

if 350 is out of the question and you need AWD, sure... I would still change tires anyway... have summer and all seasons.
Old 07-17-13, 04:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

That's part of my dilemma. For a measly extra 13$ a month over the USB 250 AWD Nav, etc, I can get a base 350 F-Sport RWD USB but none are available unless I start the clock over, wait 3+ months (sigh).

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 07-17-13, 04:26 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you didn't order the car that you REALLY want. It also sounds like you're being up-sold. I assume you ordered the car you did because it made the most sense at the time.

I'd say you have two choices: 1 - stick with what you currently ordered, avoid the sales pitch and be confident that you made the correct decision. 2 - If you're going to spend more now, order the car you really want, not one that you don't really want but happens to be available quicker.

I'd say either way, you probably won't be switching to the blue one.
Old 07-17-13, 05:09 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

My motto is always go with your first choice.

Blue is still high maintenance and subject to swirls as all dark colors are. It doesn't even have the features you want.

As for MPG I am getting 23mpg on my IS250.

Go with what ur gut says.
Old 07-17-13, 05:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Stillhart
Sounds like you didn't order the car that you REALLY want. It also sounds like you're being up-sold. I assume you ordered the car you did because it made the most sense at the time.

I'd say you have two choices: 1 - stick with what you currently ordered, avoid the sales pitch and be confident that you made the correct decision. 2 - If you're going to spend more now, order the car you really want, not one that you don't really want but happens to be available quicker.

I'd say either way, you probably won't be switching to the blue one.
You're mostly right. I never bought the car I REALLY wanted which doesn't exist: USB with Rioja Red interior base 250 F-Sport.

At the time of original order almost 7 weeks ago, the red interior was my top priority and so of the choices, Obsidian made most sense to me but after seeing latest pics of USB, the exterior edges out over the interior color preference.
Old 07-17-13, 05:15 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You're mostly right. I never bought the car I REALLY wanted which doesn't exist: USB with Rioja Red interior base 250 F-Sport.

At the time of original order almost 7 weeks ago, the red interior was my top priority and so of the choices, Obsidian made most sense to me but after seeing latest pics of USB, the exterior edges out over the interior color preference.
USB is soooo last year 2013. . While black with red is 2014. Lol.
Old 07-17-13, 05:25 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by dstopsie
USB is soooo last year 2013. . While black with red is 2014. Lol.
Debbie. Maybe I've fallen astray because you haven't posted new pics of your car since the tints. Show me the interior/exterior combo
Old 07-17-13, 05:33 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Debbie. Maybe I've fallen astray because you haven't posted new pics of your car since the tints. Show me the interior/exterior combo
Lol. Ok. I am sorry

Here are some interior shots!!
Attached Thumbnails Dilemma:  Obsidian RWD Trade for Ultrasonic Blue AWD???-image.jpg  
Old 07-17-13, 05:34 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

More interior
Attached Thumbnails Dilemma:  Obsidian RWD Trade for Ultrasonic Blue AWD???-image.jpg  
Old 07-17-13, 05:36 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Here is another interior shot

Quick Reply: Dilemma: Obsidian RWD Trade for Ultrasonic Blue AWD???