IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Excessive brake dust

Old 07-13-13, 06:25 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Excessive brake dust

Well, it looks like Lexus should have TSIB for brake dust issues with high friction brakes on F-Sport model. I just washed my car and drove only like 3miles and I can see brake dust on wheel well already. Especially on Ultra White brake dust are visible even on door seams. I hope Lexus should have a fix soon just like 2IS.
Old 07-13-13, 06:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

That's too bad. First the paint stains, now the excessive brake dust.

I have an unfortunate feeling Lexus will say it's normal considering the extra braking performance of the 3IS F-Sport, but good luck and see what the dealer says...
Old 07-13-13, 07:09 PM
Jlesz
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the excessive brake dust is exactly why i didn't go with white. My sales guy also told me not to get white because people always complain about the brake dust.
Old 07-13-13, 07:21 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

I have an unfortunate feeling Lexus will say it's normal considering the extra braking performance of the 3IS F-Sport, but good luck and see what the dealer says...
Stains came from dealer tire dressing so I already sent email to them. I don't see an immediate resolution. Brake dust are already a common problem on 2IS but it's more noticeable on white cars.
Old 07-13-13, 08:55 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Stains came from dealer tire dressing so I already sent email to them. I don't see an immediate resolution. Brake dust are already a common problem on 2IS but it's more noticeable on white cars.
Fortunately, the excessive brake dust only occurs on the front brakes. So you need to spend more efforts in washing the front brakes and not four of them.

I remember there was a recall for some brake-related issues for my 2IS and Lexus replaced the brake pads. I was given the choice of high friction or low friction ones. I ended up going for the high friction one despite I know the excessive brake dust would continue. Reason is I was told by the dealership that some customers find the brake feel differently for the low friction one. I guess it is a trade off for better stopping for 2IS.

I think Lexus has addressed the issue in 2IS by in including high friction brake pads only in F Sport model and not the regular 3IS.

I would wait and see the difference I would feel in my upcoming regular 3IS since I am used to the high friction (and the excessive brake dust) in 2IS.

The key is to use a good wheel polish. Clean the wheels more regularly. I have been using the wheel wax (yellow pudding stuff) and brake dust is less sticky. Another thing is use a good wheel wash. P1S one is a good one. The Zymol wheel wash is good.

After all, a lot of European cars get excessive brake dust due to the material used in the brake pad. In their forums, there will be a lot of good tips to combat the issue.
Old 07-13-13, 09:01 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same issue as my last Lexus. I had the TSB done and had my pads replaced for free on my 08' 350. I am having the same issue with this one too. Its insane how much brake dust is collected just driving around a few miles. I just bought this wheel protectant today to try out
Old 07-13-13, 09:10 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gocubs08
Yep, same issue as my last Lexus. I had the TSB done and had my pads replaced for free on my 08' 350. I am having the same issue with this one too. Its insane how much brake dust is collected just driving around a few miles. I just bought this wheel protectant today to try out
One fortunate thing is the excessive brake dust happens on the F Sport wheels which are of darker colour (superchrome as in RX F Sport?) and so brake dust is less noticeable by casual look.

Well owners can still notice the dust easily...
Old 07-13-13, 09:43 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

High friction do stops better. I had high friction on 2IS and then got low dust version later. It's a trade off but it's just pita cleaning wheels every few days. It's worse on white color where dust sticks to wheel well and lower door panels.
Old 07-13-13, 10:41 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the ultra white and found stains on the back end of my car - yellow stains, rust dots, im guessing from the brakes. the dealer is going to repaint it but what can i do to prevent it in the future?
Old 07-13-13, 10:42 PM
blksolara
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What issue are you having regarding paint stains? i thought i was alone.
Old 07-13-13, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 153 Likes on 91 Posts

Didn't Lexus make the low dust pads standard sometime during the 2IS timeline? If so, I'm surprised they reverted back with the 3IS.
Old 07-14-13, 04:43 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some european tips for this problem:

First I recomend a product that removes brake dust, called carpro Iron-x. Cleaning with this product removes every stain of road salt, brake dust and pretty much everything else. Let the product work for 3-5 minuts. Don't apply in direct sunlight. This also desolves any layer of wax and other protective compounds.

Second advice for easing the removal of brakedust is a good car wax.
When waxing the car you apply a protective coating over the paint. If you have a good wax and clean the often, the brake dust won't have the possibility to stick to the paint.
I reccomend collinite 845, for a cheap and easy wax to work with, but most waxes do the same job. Only difference if how long the last. anything from a few week¨s to 5-6 months is normal.

Next advice on how to avoid brake dust in the paint is to buy a set of "dust free" brake pads.
EBC makes brake pads that makes very little brake dust. They call them green stuff. I'm sure they'll make some for the new IS soon.

The yellow\rust collored stains that blksolara is talking about can actuallly be ressidue from road salting or dust from spiked tires if they do have these things in the winter time where you live. A good degraser might actually remove these stains completly, even if it looks like rust. In northeren countries we get a lot of these stains. Very visible on bright colors. If your rear bumper have them, you'll know it is not rust stains, since the bumper is plastic.
Only way to remove these stains are with a strong degreaser that disolves them. They will look like rust until they are completly removed.
They look like stone chips that have begun to rust, but you'll feel that it is a spot on top of the paint instead of a hole in the paint.
They can not be polished away either, because they are very very hard and durable.
A good degraser is alfa omega when it comes to removing brake dust and other kinds of spots from white paint.

when it comes to sports from bird poo, crushed bugs and that kind of ressidue, I recomend a degraser named Bilthamber Surfex HD. This desolves those kind of spots very easy.

Try searching the UK detailig forums for more tips.

Also.
Here is a tread in a norwegian detailer forum about the exact same problem, use google translate to read it. They basicly recomend strong desolvants and clay bar kits.
http://www.detailersclub.no/forum/to...3-bremsestoev/

Last edited by magne; 07-14-13 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 06:17 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus lists a disclaimer about the high friction brake pads and summer performance tires to cover their backs.
On my 2IS, I switched to ceramic pads and the dust issue was completely eliminated.
Old 07-14-13, 07:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by blksolara
What issue are you having regarding paint stains? i thought i was alone.
See
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ite-shots.html
Old 07-14-13, 08:46 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blksolara
i have the ultra white and found stains on the back end of my car - yellow stains, rust dots, im guessing from the brakes. the dealer is going to repaint it but what can i do to prevent it in the future?
When dealer delivered your car was there really wet tire dressing on the wheels? I suspect it's the cause. If you google it you can see many people with same problem on white cars. When you drove off tire dressing slings onto wheel well and lower car body, if it wasn't wipe off the stain will baked onto clear coat. The stains actually come from tire chemical put on by manufacturer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Excessive brake dust