IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport vs. 2013 BMW 335i Xdrive M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 01:49 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Then why doesn't Lexus offer all that stuff and price the car $1K higher? They'll still be cheaper and have comparable option packages.

It's kinda funny when people don't watch their own videos they post lol.
You're right -- it is funny and was an error on my part. But even what I did find (correctly) raises doubt about the claim that there is no way an R-spec is as fast as a BMW. There are always people coming on every car forum I've ever been to touting BMW. It's kind of a drag. Who's got time for that? I don't have time to go to BMW forums and slam BMW for its weaknesses.
Old 07-16-13, 02:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a discussion forum. It's intent is to... Discuss. I've got time for it, and don't suddenly run out of time when it comes to talking about weaknesses, of any vehicle, including Lexus vehicles. If the topic doesn't interest me, I won't participate. If it does and I disagree with something, i'll retort with my own opinion.

Im a Lexus fan over a BMW fan, that's why I'm on this site. But I have no problem saying that the 3IS is under powered and under optioned compared to it's Bavarian counterpart.
Old 07-16-13, 02:08 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
its 48 vs 58, unless you dont want a lot of things in that BMW. You are not picking options on option screen.

And you get a lot nicer interior with lexus too.

If all you care about is to stomp on the gas pedal, then sure, 335i is better... if you care about handling, so far every media calls 335i behind the pack in handling when compared to IS350. With IS350 you get more comfy ride and better handling at the same time. It is magic that BMW used to offer before.
I'm not saying all I care about is "stomp on the gas". What I'm saying is that the engine is so insanely better that, even though the Lexus handling may be a little better and the interior may be a little better, the Lexus seems worse overall. Keep in mind that the BMW isn't uncomfortable and it's not a bad handler. It's just arguably a little worse than the Lexus in those departments.

I realize all of this is subjective and I don't expect people on the Lexus forum to agree. I'm actually happy to be proven wrong if it comes to that as I really prefer the Lexus on paper. But saying that the only the the BMW is good for is power is a little disingenuous.

And of course, you have to pay for what you get. Is it worth spending 6-10k more for the BMW? That's the real question IMO.
Old 07-16-13, 02:20 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It should also be noted that BMW has "free" maintenance, which translates to the cost of that maintenance being incorporated into the cost of the vehicle. A few oil changes and a brake job, and the costs difference narrows while the engine and option disparity hasn't.
Old 07-16-13, 02:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The Beamer is bad value for money.
However the overall decision rests with the tastes, hence the priorities of the driver.

If the driver prioritises conservative gentleman's styling, space, and straight line power, then the choice will be 3 Series.
On the otherhand, if the driver prioritises cheetah-like styling, handling, durability/longevity, and value for money, then he will go IS350...
Old 07-16-13, 02:32 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I would buy a BMW in a heart beat if it weren't for constant reliability issues. Recently saw a post on bimmerfest a guy just drove off the lot and 5 miles later all lights went out with limp mode. Not worth it for a car you just paid $60k IMO.
Old 07-16-13, 04:53 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

What cost does one ascribe to freedom from worry? What is the value of that? How much money is it worth to know that every time I get in my Lexus it will do exactly as advertised?
Old 07-16-13, 05:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glashub
What cost does one ascribe to freedom from worry? What is the value of that? How much money is it worth to know that every time I get in my Lexus it will do exactly as advertised?
Nicely said.
Old 07-16-13, 06:16 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^

Thank you.
Old 07-16-13, 08:32 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

So on topic, did anyone see this article?

Comparison:
The Big Test: 2013/2014 Luxury Sport Sedans
Audi S4 vs. BMW 335i xDrive vs. Cadillac ATS4 3.6 vs. Lexus IS 350 AWD vs. Volvo S60 T6

In reference to the IS350, they say: "My own notes read, "Weak-sauce engine."" Seems I'm not the only one.
Old 07-16-13, 08:45 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

I think your original postulate was that it wasn't appreciably better than the 250, right?

Also, if you read the comments you'll discover that rag according to long time readers is basically a shill for all things BMW and that it makes no sense to put the BMW 1st given price and it's limitations.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-16-13 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 08:49 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

There is certainly a value to that, and that's what makes the 3IS (f-sport) situation so frustrating to a consumer like myself. I like the level of reliability and service I have received as a Lexus customer and I'm not so sure I'd get that by jumping ship to a 335 or ATS or G50. But [for me] the 2014 IS leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I don't expect the 3IS to beat it's competition in every metric imaginable, that would be unrealistic. But I don't think it's unreasonable to want to buy a 2014 IS and at least have the ability to option it out the same way or better than my 2006 IS. I also don't think it's unreasonable to want a power plant that can out perform my 7 year old one, and as it stands now, the 3IS can't even match it.
Old 07-16-13, 09:17 PM
Stillhart
Rookie

I think your original postulate was that it wasn't appreciably better than the 250, right?

Also, if you read the comments you'll discover that rag according to long time readers is basically a shill for all things BMW and that it makes no sense to put the BMW 1st given price and it's limitations.
I don't claim that the BMW is best just because they said so. I know enough about how these things work. I just found that one comment to agree with my experience, which many people on here seem to disagree with.

My postulate is that the 350 doesn't feel particularly fast, so why get the 350 when the 250 feels about the same and is significantly cheaper. I think, after a lot of the responses I've been seeing, that the issue may be about the sense of speed rather than the actual speed. I do plan to drive again and try some different things to make sure I'm getting the right feel for it.
Old 07-16-13, 09:20 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
1) It's ok, everyone makes mistakes.

2) First-world problems..
1) Well, only fools don't change their mind, right? I don't see it as a mistake

2) Really? Because buying a luxury, 40-60k$ car is a necessity? If I stuck to your theory, I'd be driving a Yaris, which would take me from point A to point B with top-notch reliability and more than enough engine for my daily commute. We're not talking about necessities here, we're talking about luxury cars. You don't need a Lexus or a BMW unless your works consists of taking clients to dinners. When paying 60k$ for a car, I'd rather it be as close to my tastes as possible, hence my comments about engine power.

Just so I'm clear -- we're talking about a car -- the BMW -- that costs $47,000 in it's base model -- is that right? Or is it more? And are we comparing AWD drive with RWD? I just like to keep track of these things -- because everyone loves a BMW -- or at least in LA they do since it seems everyone has one. But then again with the liberal lease plans offered by BMW it seems everyone can afford to lease. Funny personal observation -- most of the BMW's I look at closely are base models with few if any options. It's all about the look here.
As I said in OP they're both AWD. FYI I had the full amount to pay for the car in cash, but decided to lease because of the following concerns :
1) Reliability after warranty is over.
2) Didn't want to get stuck with a fully-loaded 3-series because they're not in demand where I live (everyone wants 328's, not 335's with M Sport and Premium package).
3) High mileage (approx 30000km per year) was another concern that this car won't sell after 3 years, especially with warranty being over.
4) Bigger depreciation than the IS.
5) Wife wanted the 335!

Originally Posted by Stillhart
It's 49k vs 55k in my price comparisons (RWD), so about $6k more. For that, you get an engine that's as much better than the 350 as the 350 is better than the 250. And that price difference is $6k as well. I'd say it's a fair deal.

Also, you do get more luxury items on the BMW for that $55k. Also, the BMW has bigger back seats. Etc.

I don't know, I think it's more of a flavor thing. I don't think either car is clearly better than the other; they both have pro's and con's in different categories. Even the C+D comparison had them only one point apart after what, 20-25 categories?

I think if Lexus upgrades the engines a bit, it'll be the clear choice, hands down. I can't imagine why they stuck with the old engines.
To answer everything that has been said here about value for money, I would add that the IS350 AWD F-Sport Executive package is 55k$ (Canada), while I got the 335 for 59k$ (200$ below invoice). The BMW has more bells and whistles, but they're not worth the 4k$ difference, IMO.

Originally Posted by Mikee81
Thanks for this post as I'm on the same boat. Lots of good info/opinions. My lease is up in Sept and I'll be driving my old truck while I figure out which route to go.
Glad it helped. My goal was to help anyone in my situation make the right decision, whether it be BMW or Lexus.

Originally Posted by Stillhart
I'm not saying all I care about is "stomp on the gas". What I'm saying is that the engine is so insanely better that...
Yeah... that's what I thought too

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The Beamer is bad value for money.
Indeed it is, this is why I turned to leasing instead of buying. I don't want to get stuck with a BMW after its warranty is over. Lexus wins hands-down in terms of reliability

You're making it sound worse than it is... when a car is 10 years old, then your logic applies. However we're comparing new cars here. Of course you have horror stories and limp mode incidents with BMW, but I don't think the difference in reliability is that big in the first 2-3 years (I admit there is one).

Originally Posted by Ramon
I also don't think it's unreasonable to want a power plant that can out perform my 7 year old one, and as it stands now, the 3IS can't even match it.
Although I didn't own a 2IS, the thought of having a 7-year old engine (granted, a reliable one) on a re-designed car didn't seem right, especially with its inferior performance and higher gas consumption...

Last edited by Aeromotive; 07-17-13 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 01:19 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Well said. Peace of mind is one important aspect of a luxury experience as well.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS350 F-Sport vs. 2013 BMW 335i Xdrive M Sport