IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)

Old 07-31-13, 04:55 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you guys can do what I do and just never put any plates on your car and leave the dealer tags on.
Old 07-31-13, 05:15 PM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by John510
Or you guys can do what I do and just never put any plates on your car and leave the dealer tags on.
Also the traffic cams will never be able to catch you.
Old 09-02-13, 08:53 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump - please post pics and mention your method if you put the plates on the side (not on the grill at all) - I would really appreciate it
Old 09-03-13, 07:36 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=218

They have them for the Lexus along with detailed install videos.
Old 09-03-13, 04:32 PM
SuppishOne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Or...

You could always just get a retractable license plate frame! =D
Old 09-03-13, 11:03 PM
machmike
Driver School Candidate

Q: How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport?

A: I am going to walk up to the front of my car and attach it....... Like a Boss.
Old 09-13-13, 07:48 PM
markb3
Driver

Someone earlier mentioned that the tow hook size is different and, therefore Grimmspeed will not work. Will it?
Old 09-13-13, 07:52 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I prefer not to have a front plate, I will not give an excuse for the police to pull me over. Don't need the hassle.
Old 09-14-13, 12:57 AM
Dark9t316
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by markb3
Someone earlier mentioned that the tow hook size is different and, therefore Grimmspeed will not work. Will it?
It was me who mentioned it, turns out it fits, i have the grimmspeed plate, but i didnt like like the look, so i just leave it off. Taking my chances now.
Old 09-14-13, 07:29 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just saw an Fsport in my neighborhood with the plate on the bumper. Don't do it. The plate is too close to the logo -- ruins the flow and the charisma of the grill. Go without or go toe hook. If you've done the plate on the bumper -- remove it and do the above. Neither solution is perfect but better than breaking the grill in two parts imo.
Old 03-10-14, 05:06 PM
zneria
Driver School Candidate

Default Not a plate debate

All let's not debate on the legalities and risk. We all are aware. The point is some of us prefer not to have a front plate. I have always preffered not to have a front plate on all my vehicles, my 2014 IS F-Sport is certainly no exception as the grill is super sexy. However I have gotten some tickets in the past with my other cars but only from meter maids. Never ever have been pulled over specifically for that reason.

Here is my personal solution. Keep in mind I only use this when I have to park in the street in an area like LA or Hollywood where the meter maids are on the lookout for this. I have to make sure to remove the plate before I drive off.

I purchased a 24" cable called a GearTie (Google it). It's a very soft rubber grip type material that can be adjusted to shape that you choose. I think I could have used a shorter one, but I had it laying around. On the plastic factory front plate holder they give you I widened the round hole next to the holes for the plate screws using a drill. Took about 30 seconds. I then worked the GearTie though and bent it into a "L" shape in the back of the plate. I can now just work the GearTie cables through the grill and the plate basically hangs there flush to the grill. It looks completely normal and only takes me about 3 seconds to get it on there. Just remember to take it off again before you drive or risk losing it!

There are probably a number of ways that you can work the GearTie in the back. I already have a couple other ideas that may work just as well as the "L" shape and currently using.
Old 03-10-14, 05:49 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am planning to buy a dark grey transparent license plate cover
it will bring the color of the plate closer to the grille, and at the samw time still have the plate in the front

Old 03-10-14, 06:27 PM
nayuta
Driver

With the Grimmspeed
Attached Thumbnails How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)-for-club-lexus-post.jpg  
Old 03-11-14, 01:55 AM
gwud2go
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SilentWish
i am planning to buy a dark grey transparent license plate cover
it will bring the color of the plate closer to the grille, and at the samw time still have the plate in the front

That's not a bad idea - it would be great to see a pic of the results if you decide to go this route!
Old 03-13-14, 08:57 AM
redcupr
Driver

I've been running without a front plate since I got the car (July 2013), front plates are required here in Washington.

I've had numerous State Patrol and local police look right at the front of the car. My guess is it's not worth their time to issue a fixit ticket, so as long I don't drive stupid they'll leave me alone. My previous car (a Mini Cooper) ran without a front plate for the first three years I had it.

I HAVE seen ticket given out for tinted license plate covers, my father-in-law got one a year ago.

Maybe the Po-Po was bored that day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are you going to deal with the front license plate on F-sport? (Merged Threads)