New 3IS Overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-13, 11:36 AM
Farjamed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 3IS Overpriced?

Hi,
I am new to the forum but have been reading it lately as I am looking to buy a new car and the new IS is at the top of my list. Up until Monday I was unsure of the pricing structure as there was no build your own for the new IS up on the website and the way Lexus groups and names its options and packages is a little confusing imo. So to get to my point.. I wanted a 350 with the Mark Levinson sound system. That really is the only option I care to add as all the blindspot monitoring, park assist, nav, etc, etc is all just junk I will not use. That blindspot monitoring especially is annoying as when I test drove it was always flashing even when there was not a car in my blindspot. Seems like its more likely to cause a wreck making you second guess yourself, but thats another topic all to itself. To get the ML audio, I would need to add it with the Nav package, which then requires either the f-sport package, or the luxury package, both of which have tons of features I don't want. Either way it would come out to $48K give or take a couple hundred depending on whether I choose F-sport of Luxury. $48K for this car seems outrageous to me. A G37 fully loaded (sport package, premium, nav) is <45K. Switching to a 250 and loading it up as I want seems ridiculous to me too because it would still come out to about 44-45, for 200HP??

Thoughts? The engines are hold overs and not very efficient either. Its not like the car itself has very much new equipment on it so I dont understand what Lexus is thinking pricing them they way they did. Does anyone else think this?

Also, I know they are brand new right now so little to no discount off MSRP in a few months, what percentage off MSRP do you all think I should be able to get? If I can get the IS350 with fsport/ML-Nav or Lux/ML-Nav under 45, especially under 44 I would be willing to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input.
James
Old 07-03-13, 11:40 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey James,

See this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...250-350-a.html

Also, that's just how the segment is like now - it's all about lifestyle rather than practicality. Most luxury brands of 4-Cylinder and Turbo-4 with 200HP are in the 42-45k price range these days. I know it's hard to accept the fact that one will pay so much for such a small engine.

Last edited by doctorttt; 07-03-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 12:16 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

All luxury cars are overpriced, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc... You can minimize it but its always going to be overpriced. Last year I waited 6 months after the 4GS came out before buying my 58k '13 GS F Sport. I paid less than 52k (makes the new IS really overpriced doesn't it?) Even with that deal I don't think the GS is twice as good as my GF's '13 Accord EX 4cyl at 22.5k. So take what you want, and pay for it.

If you still want luxury, performance, and exclusivity. Then perhaps wait 6 months and see.
Old 07-03-13, 12:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Farjamed
Hi,
I am new to the forum but have been reading it lately as I am looking to buy a new car and the new IS is at the top of my list. Up until Monday I was unsure of the pricing structure as there was no build your own for the new IS up on the website and the way Lexus groups and names its options and packages is a little confusing imo. So to get to my point.. I wanted a 350 with the Mark Levinson sound system. That really is the only option I care to add as all the blindspot monitoring, park assist, nav, etc, etc is all just junk I will not use. That blindspot monitoring especially is annoying as when I test drove it was always flashing even when there was not a car in my blindspot. Seems like its more likely to cause a wreck making you second guess yourself, but thats another topic all to itself. To get the ML audio, I would need to add it with the Nav package, which then requires either the f-sport package, or the luxury package, both of which have tons of features I don't want. Either way it would come out to $48K give or take a couple hundred depending on whether I choose F-sport of Luxury. $48K for this car seems outrageous to me. A G37 fully loaded (sport package, premium, nav) is <45K. Switching to a 250 and loading it up as I want seems ridiculous to me too because it would still come out to about 44-45, for 200HP??

Thoughts? The engines are hold overs and not very efficient either. Its not like the car itself has very much new equipment on it so I dont understand what Lexus is thinking pricing them they way they did. Does anyone else think this?

Also, I know they are brand new right now so little to no discount off MSRP in a few months, what percentage off MSRP do you all think I should be able to get? If I can get the IS350 with fsport/ML-Nav or Lux/ML-Nav under 45, especially under 44 I would be willing to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input.
James
since 2014 IS is so much carry over, maybe it is best you get 2013 at some big discount? Seems like a best bet

:-)))
Old 07-03-13, 12:54 PM
bd307
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup it is all about styling and whether you can afford it or not.

We are not 10 years ago where the entry level luxury sedans were at high 20k's anymore. If you are lucky, you maybe able to find a base C/3/IS/G at low 30k. Two of my friends actually bought their C class at 30-32k (1 with nav and 1 without) about 5 months ago.

Is the 3IS overpriced? It is about 2-3k overpriced than I would like to pay but again, do you want to drive a Camry/Accord where there are thousands of them on the streets?
Old 07-03-13, 12:59 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Acura TL -- $46K -- check it out -- that's overpriced.
Old 07-03-13, 01:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

As others have said, luxury car sales have remained strong throughout the recession, and thus prices are up. When I think about the fact that my GS350 was $60,000 not even loaded when that bought you an LS not too terribly long ago. Look at the LS now, its a $85,000 car solidly. Look at the ES. Loaded was $40k 10 years ago now its nearly $50k loaded up. Its not just Lexus, the 5 series easily hits $70k. 3 Series $55k. The G37 is a value now because its old, but wait until the Q50 replaces it...pricing will be similar to the IS.

Also, the only thing carryover in the 3IS is the engines. EVERYTHING else is all new, and the car is a huge improvement over the old car. However what others here have said is true...its an opportunity to buy a 2IS at a deal
Old 07-03-13, 01:29 PM
Farjamed
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you guys, that they are all up from years past.. but I guess my biggest problem with it, is that a loaded G37 (328HP) is just under 45K. The similar IS350 is just over 48. Thats a big difference, especially since the G37 is also a quality, reliable car. I do like the styling of the Lexus over the G37, and soon to be Q50, but still, the G37 is a very highly regarded car. I guess I will either wait a few months to see if I can get an IS350 with Lux/NAV/ML below 45, go for a base 350 with just the 5 spoke wheels and maybe premium package, or test drive a loaded up 250. I have always had Japanese cars, and as much as I want a German car, I just dont think I trust them on reliability.
Old 07-03-13, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with you guys, that they are all up from years past.. but I guess my biggest problem with it, is that a loaded G37 (328HP) is just under 45K. The similar IS350 is just over 48.
The difference will be even more considering they are basically giving the G37 away and the IS will command MSRP or close for a while.

But remember...the G37 is on its way out, its going to be replaced with the all new Q50. The Q50 will be priced more similarly to the 3IS when it comes out. You have to ask yourself if you want a car that is going to be outdated in a month and a half or if you want the all new 3IS. There is no comparison between the old G37 and the new IS when it comes to styling, handling, chassis, technology, etc. New Q50 may be another story.

IMHO, if you were looking at a leftover 2IS compare it to the G37, but you can't compare a new state of the art Lexus to the previous generation G37 and say theres more value in the G. That value will be made up on resale alone with the IS being all new and the G being phased out.
Old 07-03-13, 01:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your input.
James
Dont forget the Mercedes CLA45 AMG is priced at $45k.
Old 07-03-13, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO the CLA is a class below these cars though...
Old 07-03-13, 02:17 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Meh......people said the same about the 2IS back in 2006. I bought my 2006 IS350 and with tax, title and license it was close to $50k. But I still have the car and enjoy it and will keep it for another 3 to 5 years, so amortized over that period it isn't that expensive. If you want a new car every 3 years then it gets expensive. Either buy and hold, or buy used to cut down on the total cost.
Old 07-03-13, 02:29 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Hi,

Thanks for your input.
James

Have you ever consider the new Mercedes CLA? The price is very attractive and you can buy the AMG version at $48K and will run 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds. I am starting to look into this vehicle now. The 3IS is nice but is appears to be the same vehicle from the last GEN with a few upgrade and appearance.
Old 07-03-13, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by D&G
The 3IS is nice but is appears to be the same vehicle from the last GEN with a few upgrade and appearance.
Its actually not at all...

The CLA does look appealing, but at its core its a FWD vehicle and you're never going to have the same handling ability from it. I sat in one at a show, and while its attractive its small, and you can definitely see how they got to the price point inside and in the heft of the doors, etc.

I wouldn't buy a CLA over an IS...
Old 07-03-13, 02:47 PM
D&G
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its actually not at all...

The CLA does look appealing, but at its core its a FWD vehicle and you're never going to have the same handling ability from it. I sat in one at a show, and while its attractive its small, and you can definitely see how they got to the price point inside and in the heft of the doors, etc.

I wouldn't buy a CLA over an IS...
True I wouldn't buy a basic CLA vs an IS. However, I would buy the CLA 45 AMG over the IS350 AWD. Mercedes have been building top notch vehicles in the last decade and I will yet to make that decision until that car is launched. I was hoping to trade in my 2IS for the new 3IS but I am starting to turn the other way.

Quick Reply: New 3IS Overpriced?