IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS to get Turbocharged Four-Cylinder Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 10:36 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems inevitable, CAFE is making some big changes that I have to say, has been making the automotive market more interesting for me to follow. I'm a hard core gear head- with all the heaps of apps on my phone, I find myself hitting the Road and Track one up the most. All aluminum Range Rovers, said range rovers to have supercharged v6s over standard v8s, boosted Jags, 400hp/400tq EcoBoost F150s, 3.0 V6 turbo diesel 1500 Rams, DI, turbo Hyundais etc etc. Plus having an electrical background, I'm always enjoying keeping up with hybrid and electric car developments.

I think the fears of lack of refinement is from times past. With the OEs throwing their technological might around on this, compromises enthusiasts have to make when going s/c or turbo themselves or having an OE setup decades old are far from the OE experience of now. Quiet, peppy vacuum operation, seamless and smooth spool should be easy. With CAFE, I doubt the systems will be designed to constantly go into boost in regular driving defeating the purpose and failing the testing. Furthermore it seems DI allows a very high compression ratio even with boosted applications, along with valve timing helping low end grunt in vacuum, along with being able to run leaner air fuels while in boost. With DBW, very capable variable valve technology, OE ECU controlled boost solenoids, exhaust trickery and the very precise engine management of modern day, I can see a little 2.0T being able to deliver the "Lexus" experience. In the weight department, at a Lexus Driving Event my friends and I all agreed, the IS250 felt much better being tossed and turned than the 350. Any reduction is nose weight is very welcome for me.

I'm not excited though, unless an earlier great mention was brought up. Will the ECU be the typical un-crackable Toyota PITA box as usual? Or will we Toyota/Lexus loyalists finally bask in the amazing glory that is being able to flash OE ECUs into superstars? If the latter, that would be very exciting.